Biology of Gender

Potentially one of the best conceivable troll name choices on the internet

1 Like

Except I don’t think I know how to patriarchy. Maybe I’ll start small. Turn the temperature down to 68 degrees in the office, sit with my legs too far apart on public transportation, tell a woman some facts.

I can get into the really heinous stuff later, like holding doors open for women.

I could even teach my boys to say “Miss” and “Ma’m” like I do. I could teach them to never hit a woman. That’s not equality.

Showing those feminists extra respect just for being women will really troll them.

4 Likes

Would be way funnier if you acted like a raging feminist.

1 Like

Of course, just like the social construct of race, it’s optional. You know, you can pick and choose. I’m not a Jewish male as of now. I just simply don’t feel like one anymore. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You sound like the type of person that keeps jumper cables in his vehicle “just in case”.

1 Like

Do I sound like:
a do gooder?
an abducter?
a torturer for the mob?

Cause only one or two of those things is true.

I believe people have very dynamic personalities, so there’s plenty of room for all of those and more!

And from a University of Maryland 2009 study, Race and Gender Differences in College Major Choice

“The results demonstrate that significant differences by gender, race and ethnicity persist in initial college major choice even after controlling for the SAT score of the student and the high school class rank of the student. Gender differences in major choice are much larger than racial and ethnic disparities. Furthermore, women are significantly more likely to switch away from an initial major in engineering than are white men.”
[/quote]

@Aragorn, I’ll move this here so I’m not threadjacking the other thread.

Here’s the link if you want to look at that study more closely. Honestly, I just skimmed through it, because I was curious about Bolt’s question. I’m not an expert on this by any stretch.
http://theop.princeton.edu/reports/forthcoming/ANNALS_07_Dickson_Manuscript_June2009.pdf

More food for thought on what’s happening for women in education. Perry currently writes for AEI, so certainly a conservative think tank.

Regarding major choice and decisions to choose lower paying fields, I don’t know the answer to that.

How much of these choices are based on biology vs culture is a good question. I’m talking about going back to fairly well accepted ideas like this. Men have evolved to be larger because they were competing with other men for mates. Men tended to be hunters, where women tended to be gatherers/ keepers of the hearth. Women evolved to be more choosy about mates, and to be smaller because they weren’t fighting for mates, it was the more promiscuous XYs were fighting each other. That kind of evolutionary theory.

I mentioned risk taking behavior in young men in our Education thread. We could hypothesize why that behavior might have a biological basis, but again we have culture laying over the top of every complex set of behavior patterns. Maybe as women have more opportunity to do risky stuff like ride dirt bikes, we’ll see the risk taking gap close. That kind of thing.

To my knowledge, we don’t know how much something like major choice is based in biology vs culture.

Certainly our culture is changing. If we go back and look at evolutionary roles of men and women in hunter gatherer societies, we’re only seeing a part of the picture, right? There is always an overlay of culture. Still, even in industrialized societies, we still see women doing more of the childcare/ domestic work than men. I believe this is still true in our most egalitarian cultures like Scandinavia, but we don’t know what that may look like in 300 years.

I do know that the Scandinavian countries have been trying to address the gender disparity in STEM fields for much longer than we have, and they continue to have a gender gap as more women seem to choose helping professions, etc

Also of interest, my son tells me that countries like Finland are actually making an ideological shift with some recognition that children who grow up with stay-at-home mothers do better on some parameters. This is something many affluent Americans already do, and there is status in being able to do it. “My wife doesn’t need to work, syndrome.” The Scandinavian countries will have a very hard time making the shift to allow women to do that again if they decide it’s a good policy, because everyone has to work to pay the taxes.

Another one about gender and the wage gap linked to major.

2 Likes

Women, biological(XX) women I mean, are given every opportunity that a man has at going into STEM subjects. No one is forcing them out of these subjects at all.

When given the same choice as men, women consistently choose to go into different less well paying fields. Whether this is Biological or as a result of Culture surrounding them is a good question. However in countries where there are more progressive views on what you can do, they still consistently choose to go into things like Nursing.

If someone wants to state that women would make the exact same choices as men would if treated the same its simply not true. You can say that you giving your son Lego will force him into a STEM field but if you give your daughter the same treatment they will still choose differently.

What I think will be interesting is the careers that Trans kids choose. Maybe those who identify as the opposing gender going into the fields that sex normally choose or the fields that their chromosomes dictate what they will go into. Or the kids who receive hormone therapy at varying ages and what fields they go into. Whether its Hormone based or Chromosome based or something else will be interesting and I think will be found out with the sheer amount Trans kids across the country.

Fun fact of the day. The college in my city is globally ranked for engineering and pulls students from all over the world. Multiple tenured professors will openly tell there students that women don’t belong in engineering. I had one of these engineering professors for a calc class about 5 years ago and he reeked of asshole.

My brother in law majored in electrical engineering, and that sentiment is echo’d throughout the entire department. This is a college that receives state and federal funding.

2 Likes

Have you considered that these professors may have a lot more of a clue than you, from the experience of thousands of students?

Or that you have been programmed by a relentless narrative that men and women are identical except for a couple of sexual identification features?

Liberal college professors having a clue, I don’t think so. :wink:

1 Like

Which makes sense if you look at how boys get taught. All the way down in little league you have coaches who yell and berate bad performance to get boys to learn. Drill instructors act like they do for a reason. Boys learn better in an environment with competition and strict rules (corporal punishment even).

Meanwhile women have twice the areas for communication in the brain that men do. They can read body language and non verbal cues instinctively while me need taught. Women make the best salespeople when you can teach them to be aggressive. Is it really a social ill if men and women chose different paths? Especially if their brains are wired differently?

He said nobody is pushing them out of the STEM fields. I gave a real world example where it’s happening to this day in govt funded colleges.

I’m not personally of the opinion that women aren’t capable of the STEM fields. But then again, I think women should be given a chance before being told they aren’t right for a field as opposed to being told they’re not right for it before trying. I’ll admit I’m apparently weirdo in that regard.

Cool fact of the day, one anecdote about a asshole professor “forcing” females out of engineering isn’t actual proof of widespread forcing of females out of STEM subjects. If a female was genuinely determined to become a engineer they wouldn’t let someones mean words affect them. Same thing goes for a man receiving similar comments doing a nursing course.

If someone barred entry completely to someone for their sex then that’s wrong completely, but since that’s not occurring at all in any place that we are discussing then its irrelevant.

If these types of words and comments did affect them they would be better suited to something in the nature of Lesbian Dance Theory.

Personally I don’t have a problem with genders choosing different paths. Just gets a little humorous when professors are allowed to openly push a gender out of a field when their paycheck comes from the taxpayers.

I guess professors having an agenda really only matters when they’re pushing Dem stuff (not directing this at you). C’est la vie

I don’t agree at all. There will always be a subset of any population that will do something in spite of any statement (or maybe to spite the people who said it to them). And there will always be a percentage of people who don’t go through with a decision even though they have very vocal support encouraging them to do it.

The vast majority of young people are in the middle and extremely sensitive to criticism and it affects them. Dave Tate had a good quote about this in the context of sports when he said (paraphrasing, its on youtube):

“less than 1% of kids playing a sport have the ability to go pro. Dont be that asshole to tell a young kid that they should give up and ‘be realistic’. I will never do that–how do I know whether they have the genes or not? Will develop the skills or not? I don’t. So I am going to tell them ‘hey when he was your age, Michael Jordan was just as weak as you. He didn’t even start lifting til _____, you’re already ahead of him. Keep working hard every day.’ Now his whole attitude changes (‘wow, really? Jordan was just like me growing up’). Even if he doesn’t go pro you’ve given him a whole world of possibility. And it won’t matter if he goes pro or not, he will have that mentality A kid has a million people already telling him he can’t do stuff. Don’t be that asshole.”

Same goes for women and your example.

4 Likes

I saw this happen a little differently. In my math courses just before mid term the professor set it up by saying “After this test we’re going to have some one on ones about this class, and how some of you aren’t going to be here anymore.”. Then after the mid-term she brought up everybody that was at a C or less one by one and told them that they should go.

In the next course the professor was even more blunt. On the first test she announced very bluntly- “If you had a hard time or missed problems 1-6 you should leave now. We don’t need you wasting our class time and you aren’t going to pass anyways.”.

So while I don’t agree with such a broad assertion, I can see how someone could come to that conclusion.

The same claptrap used to be told to women about being doctors. I had an elderly med-school professor who lamented the decreased sharpness in nurses ‘since they started letting women into med school.’

Anybody want to argue that women are genetically unsuited to by physicians?

For the majority of the time football has been played, coaches–including those who had experience with thousands of athletes–believed black athletes were ‘not well suited’ to play quarterback. As we now know full well, that was self-fulfilling racist nonsense. I would put the attitudes of these professors in a similar (albeit misogynist) camp.

Exactly. No one should be expected to swim against the current if the current is an unnecessary and artificial contrivance.

1 Like