Biodentical TRT vs Androgel?

Guys,
When we say “androgel” are we equating this with Biodentical TRT replacement?
I ask this because when I’ve been prescribed Androgel in the past the response was rapid (i.e., instant erections, better feeling of well being, more alert, however…) I also experienced some bloating and it didn’t do much for my waistline.

Now in past post’s I’ve we’ve went over diet and E2 issue’s, but my question is does Biodentical TRT act the same way as androgel TRT?
The anti-aging doc says biodentical trt should be milder on the HPTA verus androgel (although I can’t see why???)
And in general has anbody here or that you’ve known used biodentical TRT?

I figure I’ll give it a shot as most testosterone’s in the past have never fared well for me (I know I know the E2 question looms large,) but in general are there any pluses or minuses in androgel vs. biodentical TRT?

Sorry also forgot: years ago when given androgel it spiked my psa from .6 to like 2.3 and freaked me out! The MD at the time wasn’t fazed by this but again I freaked out and d/c’d the stuff and in 3 weeks the psa was back down to .6

A new urologist I went to advised me that this can happen when the body has insufficient testosterone levels and all of the sudden get’s a fast jolt of the stuff, and that in time it might have went down.
But it was enough to shy me away from trt even though I felt great.
What say you?

Last time I heard, “bioidentical” is made from yams, but is known to work quite well for some.
As far as PSA goes, there was no long term damage done according to your numbers.

In two and a half years of TRT, my PSA has risen 0.5, and that was when my E2 was high too. My point is; if E2 is kept in check, your PSA shouldn’t go out of control.

Testoserone is testosterone.

There is only one testosterone, the other types have different names and structures.

T and E2 are made from yams as a starting point, which begins with DHEA and other steps.

If TRT makes you fat, you are not controlling your estrogen levels.

Yes, estrogen is a bigger cause of BHP than T or DHT. Again, control your estrogen.

Transdermals, if they work, create more E2 and DHT than injected T.

Testosterone [cypionate, ethanate etc] are all esterized testosterone, not testosterone. That then is soluble on oil. The oil is injected and is slowly absorbed; which is a time release mechanism.

Once the testosterone esters are free of the oil, the ester groups are stripped off of testosterone by a few different processes in blood or tissue. The result is then testosterone; which is bio-identical.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Testoserone is testosterone.

There is only one testosterone, the other types have different names and structures.

T and E2 are made from yams as a starting point, which begins with DHEA and other steps.

If TRT makes you fat, you are not controlling your estrogen levels.

Yes, estrogen is a bigger cause of BHP than T or DHT. Again, control your estrogen.

Transdermals, if they work, create more E2 and DHT than injected T.

Testosterone [cypionate, ethanate etc] are all esterized testosterone, not testosterone. That then is soluble on oil. The oil is injected and is slowly absorbed; which is a time release mechanism.

Once the testosterone esters are free of the oil, the ester groups are stripped off of testosterone by a few different processes in blood or tissue. The result is then testosterone; which is bio-identical.[/quote]

KSman,

I am asking because I know the doc will want me to come back in 6-12 weeks for re-testing and for one don’t want to go thru the drama of an elevated PSA, plus the injections for me seem so much easier than compounding formulas and so forth, and pharmaceutically-wise I now I’ll be getting good quality control dose for dose with injectables.

I’m gonna copy this and show it to him, but I know he’s hell bent on biodentical trt. Maybe I can talk him out of it. He is a friend of mine, but still “the doctor knows best” ego may kick in here. The Suzanne Sommer’s Hollywood crowd is advocating this biodentical stuff.

Injected testosterone esters are a time release mechanism for bio-identical testosterone. That is a fact even if its not part of a bio-identical fad. The T for the esters comes from the same plant derived sources and processes that create the T used for bioidenticals.

If you want to control your PSA, you must control E2. That will also increase the benefits of your TRT. You need to maintain your E2 in the lower 20’s [0-54 pg/ml].

Agreed, look for prescription TRT - such as Testim, Androgel or shots - before going with the wellness clinic style stuff.