Biochemistry Literature

Hi guys,

I’ve read and read and read… and after more than being in awe of the knowledge on this forum (I thank my lucky star I found this web site 5+ years ago!)… I have to ask… I mean, where did you learn all of this? By that I mean, are there some basic books I could get and study, or is it always a tapestry of posts and articles and I’ll eventually tie together in my head?

I mean, to learn nutrition, there are some strong, solid books to read about BMR, insulin reponse, the USDA food database etc…

But to get “a basic, academic” understanding is there something out there? A good web site? besides here and meso…

Thanks! I appreciate it. willing to learn!

Anabolics 2007, the 6th edition helped me out A LOT. The latest one kind of disappointed me. From there on, it is pretty much reading forums.

About nutrition or what?

Every time you see a topic that you want to explore more, do a google search starting with

site:http//www.tmuscle.com+subject you are interested in

If you don’t find interesting material there, broaden the search.

There are certain subjects that are covered more deeply in other forums like pro-steroids and brewing for example. You can always ask here if anyone can point you in the right direction.

I personally search the whole web rather than limit it to T-Nation unless i already know that what i am looking for is on the site.

Whatever the topic, DH has given good info - search engines are great if you have more than a vague thought on the topic you need to research.

Searching the web in this manner will lead to you bookmarking many many sites of interest which you will then refer to again and again in the future - as i am sure most do here.

Some useful information based sites i like to browse which sometimes spark a line of thought are:

forbodybuilders.net
and

a site i have found infinitely useful for endocrinological studies is:

endojournals.org

one i find very very interesting on all sorts of molecualr/hormonal pathways is:

www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway.html

But i wasn’t sure if you wanted nutrition info as you mentioned it in your post - for basic nutrition a very good book (i lent out and never got back) is ‘Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook Edition 4’ the information in is covers everything a basic Nutritional Adviser should know for an exam - of course it is prudent to know more… as with everything :wink:

Generally speaking with nutrition and how the knowledge relates to the qualification, the more qualified you are the smaller the nutrients get!
Same could be said for physiology actually… which reminds me -

Another book which i find fascinating (and am currently 1/2 way through) is ACSM Advanced Physiology. This will detail the muscle building process in minute detail - along with every other damn process in the body. it is fucking brilliant.

When i lived in the States i was going to do my exams again as my qualifications don’t ‘convert’ apparently. So i chose the ACSM as i truly think it is the best of the PT exams (of course my direction changed somewhat).
However due to this i have a few books i continue to study, and i would seriously recommend any and all of ACSM’s manuals for education purposes. They are available on Amazon. The majority of it goes over my head, it is very challenging and very good stuff.

JMO.

Hi Brook!

On a side post, I’m a big fan of nutritional programs. I’m the kind of guy that weights everything. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have no idea how AAS affect the way we can eat.

Like I menioned, for my cycle I’d like to gain 5-10lbs LBM, 4 weeks. 350mg/w test prop + 175mg stan depot, both administered EOD (1 injection… I know water+oil…) I understand the cycle is on the weak side of the spectrum.

I’d just like to know how I should tweak the nutrition…
I usually maintain at 1600-1800 cal per day, 40-30-30 pro/carb/fats.
to drop fat I had to go at around 1200cals per day.

I’m just not sure where I should go to gain the LBM without too much fat… but I wouldn’t want to rob myself of some sweet gains by undereating… even for a slight increase in BF…

lol, I’m hijacking my own post

Relentless, if you want some classic, very, very dry, old school steroid biochem, dig up Vida’s “Androgens and Anabolic Agents”. OTOH, if you’re looking for practical research, dig up Dan Duchaine’s writings. Neither of these are sources for simple “Profile of X” type information, though.

Omg, you’re talking about the bb opus by Duchaine? that’s old as the earth itself! :wink:

[quote]Relentless wrote:
Hi Brook!

On a side post, I’m a big fan of nutritional programs. I’m the kind of guy that weights everything. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have no idea how AAS affect the way we can eat.

Like I menioned, for my cycle I’d like to gain 5-10lbs LBM, 4 weeks. 350mg/w test prop + 175mg stan depot, both administered EOD (1 injection… I know water+oil…) I understand the cycle is on the weak side of the spectrum.

I’d just like to know how I should tweak the nutrition…
I usually maintain at 1600-1800 cal per day, 40-30-30 pro/carb/fats.
to drop fat I had to go at around 1200cals per day.

I’m just not sure where I should go to gain the LBM without too much fat… but I wouldn’t want to rob myself of some sweet gains by undereating… even for a slight increase in BF…

lol, I’m hijacking my own post[/quote]

(BBB - this is one of those situations!)

OK… without going into too much depth, i would suggest increments of 10-15% would be a conservative method to increase calories to gain weight.

Keep protein high.

[quote]Relentless wrote:
Omg, you’re talking about the bb opus by Duchaine? that’s old as the earth itself! ;)[/quote]

And a good read.

As with most Steroid literature that is printed you can’t take it as gospel - things change, and so so much in our case working with a lot of anecdotal and subjective experience over many years.

There is information in there (IIRC) that is very useful and interesting.

Another excellent read is… Chemical Wizardry - that one is old too but still very useful.

I do rate the nabolics series - as they go into a very interesting and educational depth that most ‘steroid’ books don’t.

[quote]whotookmyname wrote:
Relentless, if you want some classic, very, very dry, old school steroid biochem, dig up Vida’s “Androgens and Anabolic Agents”. [/quote]

Very very dry is certainly true, but actually Vida has nothing in it but structures of steroids and assay data for growth of levator ani and prostate in the rat with the steroid in question as compared to results for (usually) testosterone propionate.

For biochem actual text, the old school book is Kochakian’s book, which comprises the Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology volume 43.

thanks for all the info, and the sites. I’ll look them up for sure to get me started… I’ll amazon the books I find most useful.

now I’m “one of those” ??

lol

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

For biochem actual text, the old school book is Kochakian’s book, which comprises the Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology volume 43.[/quote]

AFAIK this is out of print - but Amazon do have a preview of it which covers approximately 150 of 200 pages. Which isn’t bad for a £200 out of print edition! :wink:

If you want to learn the basics, I suggest “Biochemestry” from Donald and Judith Voet.

The “Williams Textbook of Endocrinology” is very good. It’s more about endocrinopathies, but gives you e very good picture of the body’s endocrine system.

On Amazon or ebay you should be able to find some issues of the “Proceedings of the Society of Nutrition Physiology”, too.

If you want to take it even a step further you can buy “Molecular Biology of the Cell” by Alberts et al.

Enjoy!

Also as far as self-teaching: I have recently decided to use my library. I go in to the reference Library in my town and study the Medical/Endocrinological Journals and i go into the Lending Library and borrow any physiology and pharmacology textbooks i am interested in.

With the internet being so damn useful and accessible - i simply forgot how it was done when i was at school and what an amazing resource one’s local library is. Libraries are absolutely irreplaceable - the information and the atmosphere to soak up that information is in perfect harmony IMO.

I agree, there’s nothing like the smell of a old librarian… hermm… library :slight_smile:

reminds me of my study blitz when I was in college

I have started to read ‘Principles of Pharmacology for Athletic Trainers’ - and i remembered about this thread and thought i should add it.

It is really only useful if you train others and advise on PED/Rehab… for general Steroid use there are better books.

It is a very useful text for my own requirements though.

As mentioned the ‘Anabolics 200x’ series are good books for AAS info in more depth… and there is a free online book which i find goes into more detain on the chemistry of AAS which i find absolutely fascinating and perfectly in depth for my needs…

http://www.ergogenics.org/anabolenboek/index0en.html

I strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in steroids from the atom to practical application, download it in one form or another as it may not be free forever…

(useless accidental restatement of something already posted)

Another thing one can do is what I did quite some time back. Except now, you’d have to (for the process to be practical) introduce a date limitation into the search. I’d suggest searching only up till say 1996.

This can be done by picking the Advanced search in Pubmed.

Namely, use the names of each common anabolic steroid, e.g.

Testosterone OR nandrolone OR stanozolol OR boldenone OR…

and pull up every abstract. At least skim through them all, and read thoroughly the ones that aren’t obviously useless. Those that on reading seem especially important, save the reference and go read the actual article later, if having access to a suitable library.

There are thousands of hits, but this is not undoable.

Secondly, if having access to a suitable library, you will find it not at all impractical to check the contents, and read all interesting articles, of earlier years such as in the 50s, 60s, and 70s for journals such as the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry; Steroids; and the Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

For both the Pubmed search and directly checking the journals for every article, the reason for the date limitation is that these days there is too much stuff published to wade through everything. With the vast majority of it being useless.

That is not to say that nothing new is worth reading – some of it certainly is – but such a broad approach will turn up too much. It would take you a great deal of time to thumb through just the last year of the above three journals: in the same length of time you could thumb through an entire decade’s worth of the journals in those past decades. With a far higher hit rate of useful stuff.