Bioavailable Testosterone and Estradiol Results

I wish I knew. I was looking at the same test and saw that warning. I am taking 50mg DHEA and 5mg hydrocortisol, but I am hesitating because I don’t know if it would be worth the expense (saliva tests not covered by insurance as far as I know).

I could get one for about £100 ($170 probably)… I have heard that GPs often say these tests are not accurate though and could imagine him, best case scenario, asking for a one point cortisol blood test which, I imagine, would be hit or miss. Think I will present evidence and hint at tests then move elsewhere if he’s not helpful. Ideally private healthcare would be an option but I am a student and don’t really have the money.

I have been told that my tests have come back normal:

CRP
TSH
Full blood count
Urea and electrolytes
Calcium
Liver values

I can’t get actual numbers until I see the Doc again on Monday. Seeing as he will inevitably say there’s nothing wrong with me I think I’ll print off a few studies such as the following:

http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/57/7/M460.abstract

What stood out here for me is to classify these elderly men (65-87) as having low testosterone levels, they used <4.44 nmol/l (the ‘lower limit for adult normal range’). As mine is 3 nmol/l (and this was while using 0.5 mg/wk of Adex) surely this will flag the issue?

I’ll also print out a few sentences with symptoms and references I think. I figure I don’t really have anything to lose at this point with this Doctor.

I managed to get the GP to request:

FSH
LH
Total T
SHBG
Prolactin

I’m aware the free androgen index has widely been reported as being an inaccurate measure of bioavailable T. My understanding is that free testosterone when calculated using Total T and assayed SHBG is OK as an indicator. Basically, are the tests listed above adequate for an accurate bioavailable T result?

Also, I am going on a social the night before the blood test(kind of mandatory for various reasons), all the literature I’ve read suggests T will be lowered by this (which is fine, on the NHS I expect the ranges to be stupidly low so every little helps). Is anyone aware of any literature that suggests T will supercompensate the morning after alcohol consumption? Thanks.