T Nation

Binge Drinking Once in a While?

basically drinking close to or to the point where you puke? as long as its just once a week or once every 2 second week.

is it really that bad?

Its sure as hell aint going to help and that’s about all I will say.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Its sure as hell aint going to help and that’s about all I will say.[/quote]

This.

To keep it simple, it comes down to how important your physique and progress is to you. I know plenty of big and huge strong people who have done fine with occasional drinking. Would they have made better gains or better progress consistently without drinking? Probably, although there’s obviously no way to say so for sure.

So, do what you want to do. The choice is entirely yours.

(PS, I very much doubt any of the Olympia contenders this last weekend binge drink more than a handful of times a year. . . if at all. Not that these are the “normal” people. But again, perspective.)

I recently read on another website recommendation to go all out once per month and be tea total the rest of the time. Apparently a night’s drinking causes T production to shut down for a few days.

This was devastating news for me as I love a drink.

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
basically drinking close to or to the point where you puke? as long as its just once a week or once every 2 second week.

is it really that bad?[/quote]
They call it college. It’s pretty fun actually…

Once a week - don’T expect progress.
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

A beer or two are different, you can do this every week if you want to. But getting shitfaced is very taking on your body which means it interferes with recovery and growth.

[quote]JLone wrote:

They call it college. It’s pretty fun actually…[/quote]

Lol this was my exact reaction as well.

OP, it really isn’t a big deal. Don’t go out and get alcohol posioning and you’ll be fine. Enjoy your life.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

A beer or two are different, you can do this every week if you want to. But getting shitfaced is very taking on your body which means it interferes with recovery and growth.[/quote]

once a week and no progress? lol yeah, cause it takes a full week to recover from 4 hours of alcohol. Actually, touching the outside of a bottle will literally cause your muscles to disappear.

Im all for dedication, but plenty of big guys have lifted weights and gotten drunk in the same week. The body’s capable of much more then people give it credit for.

OP alcohol isn’t going to help you, and yeah it’s not going to give you “optimal” progress, but unless your making your money off this or are competing very soon enjoying yourself occasionally isn’t going to halt all progress. And you’ll probably enjoy yourself more.

It comes down to how bad you want to be bigger and how much you are willing to sacrifice to get there. You’ll still get results drinking to that extent but it will be chumps change in comparison to what you could achieve. Aside from the health effects, drinking to that extent on a weekly basis means 1 day of every week you are completely hung over and have ruined that day’s potential. So 52 days out of the year are taken from you. BB.com wrote an article on this topic last week. Most of the articles on BB.com are not worth while reading but this ones decent and will give you the answers your looking for in detail.

What are you doing the other 6 days? Drinking to excess but not puking? 4-5 beers at night and a lite buzz? Abstaining? My guess is if you are puking once a week its not the only night you are drinking.

I’ve known plenty of functional alcoholics and habitual binge drinkers who were great athletes and who excelled at lots of areas of their lives, at least in the short run. That doesn’t mean its the optimal way to do things or the best strategy for living your life. You need to decide what’s important for you, and if puking once a week is important to you, well that’s certainly your prerogative.

doing that regularly plays all sorts of hell with your body, regardless of the implication for your muscle building.

I’m not saying I never drink; every few months I’ll get a little tipsy. But that’s a far cry from drinking till you puke or nearly puke every week or two. That’s hell on your stomach and liver.

[quote]fisch wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

A beer or two are different, you can do this every week if you want to. But getting shitfaced is very taking on your body which means it interferes with recovery and growth.[/quote]

once a week and no progress? lol yeah, cause it takes a full week to recover from 4 hours of alcohol. Actually, touching the outside of a bottle will literally cause your muscles to disappear.

Im all for dedication, but plenty of big guys have lifted weights and gotten drunk in the same week. The body’s capable of much more then people give it credit for.

OP alcohol isn’t going to help you, and yeah it’s not going to give you “optimal” progress, but unless your making your money off this or are competing very soon enjoying yourself occasionally isn’t going to halt all progress. And you’ll probably enjoy yourself more.[/quote]

thank God…

I’ve been there myself… A period of complete abstinence = gains followed by drinking=no gains. And yes, how much you drink makes a HUGE difference. Doing it to the point of (almost) puking does affect you in several ways. Getting tipsy… Isn’t perfect either but it’s OK.

(good thing I’m not inclined to get shitfaced very often anyway)

It depends. Are you at collage, or are you 35, married with two kids and an office job? Unless you are between the ages of 16-23 then getting so drunk you make a tit out of yourself is that bad, yes!

A drink or two a day would be better than nothing all week then 14 drinks on one night!

[quote]fisch wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

OP alcohol isn’t going to help you, and yeah it’s not going to give you “optimal” progress, but unless your making your money off this or are competing very soon enjoying yourself occasionally isn’t going to halt all progress. And you’ll probably enjoy yourself more.[/quote]

good post, I like this guy’s style

[quote]fisch wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

It doesn’t have to take a week. if it takes 48 hours for your horomones to normalize, that’s a ton of your progress.

Drinking to the point of vomiting every week isn’t healthy. I’d be surprised if a natural trainer could make any real progress that way. All that aside, it isn’t healthy or enjoyable either.

If you are really needing to get piss drunk every week in order to enjoy yourself or have fun, you have other problems.

As far as general advice, no one can tell you what exactly your body will do. Do what you want. If, while consistently getting trashed, you are getting fat, weak, and growing tits decide what you want more. If not, then decide based on whatever it is that happens to your body.

this is a good read

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

It doesn’t have to take a week. if it takes 48 hours for your horomones to normalize, that’s a ton of your progress.

Drinking to the point of vomiting every week isn’t healthy. I’d be surprised if a natural trainer could make any real progress that way. All that aside, it isn’t healthy or enjoyable either.

If you are really needing to get piss drunk every week in order to enjoy yourself or have fun, you have other problems.

As far as general advice, no one can tell you what exactly your body will do. Do what you want. If, while consistently getting trashed, you are getting fat, weak, and growing tits decide what you want more. If not, then decide based on whatever it is that happens to your body.[/quote]

No one said it was helpful physique wise. Im saying “once a week = no progress” is stupid, even if it takes 48 hours for hormones to normalize you still have 4-5 days of “normal” hormones. Your body will still have food, training stimulus, and sleep during those 4-5 days. Progress possible, no not optimal. How much progress? I don’t know, depends on a lot of factors.

No one said getting piss drunk is healthy. It’s not, no one with a brain will ever argue that. As for whether or not it’s enjoyable? It is, at least that’s what my experiences and observations at college tell me. You might not enjoy it but it’s fun for a lot of people.

He never said he “needed” to get drunk. Again, college kids do it every week, usually multiple times a week. It’s fun, it’s living life and making dumb choices. If your not going to compete or make your money off this, it comes down to what you want. Do you want to get drunk with your friends, make dumb choices, and laugh/regret it later? Or do you want a slightly better physique?

Choices. Make the one the makes you life better/more enjoyable.

Hah. This reminds me of how every Monday and Friday, everybody in my gym is talking about how wasted they got or how wasted they will get.

“Bro I got so fucked up watchin the game last night”
“Yeah bro”
“But I’m still in here banging it out bro. Stay dedicated”
“Yup yup that’s what it’s all about bro”

It never gets old, overhearing those conversations.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Once a month - bearable.
Every few months - sure.

Don’t take it this seriously OP. If you want to go out to drink then do it. Obviously you can make better gains without drinking but if it gets to the point where you’re avoiding going out with your friends for fear of drinking then that’s worse IMO.