Binaural Beats

Hey T-Nation,

Has anyone used/heard about binaural beats? If used, what benefits did you notice, not necessarily with regards to lifting, but perhaps sleep, study, recovery, focus, etc?

I find the idea quite interesting, and wouldn’t mind hearing some user experiences.

Thanks for nay input,

Dan

bump :frowning:

Didnt really do all that much for me.
I thought at one point it was a great way to quickly rest up before going out. Then one day I didnt have my mp3 player with me and I just took a quick nap. Got the same results… lol

What are binaural beats?

So this is what it’s like to be on drugs.

In all seriousness this seems interesting. I would image in you would need a expensive pair of head phone to get a greater effect than one that just go into you ear?

I read the title as Big Natural Breasts…Where are my glasses?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
So this is what it’s like to be on drugs.

In all seriousness this seems interesting. I would image in you would need a expensive pair of head phone to get a greater effect than one that just go into you ear? [/quote]

Most headphones are fine playing to the ‘left’ and ‘right’ sides seperately - I don’t think they’d have to be super expensive… Just obviously can’t be speakers lol.

It works by putting a different frequency in your ear through regular stereo headphones. An ipod is 2 channel stereo, meaning there is actually two separate audio channels, one is each side of the headphones. The difference between the frequencies is known as a ‘beat’ frequency. Your brain waves are supposed to tune to the beat frequency.

I use to use the “Hemisync” meditation tapes. I had success using it to reach meditative states. I’ve also reached the same states without the tapes doing plain old meditation. It wasn’t a sure thing and still took practice.

My goal with using it was to meditate, not focus better, do better in school, or any of that crap. I did notice a carry over to my daily life from meditating regularly, which I haven’t been doing. It did make me more focused, de-stressed, and relaxed.

The binaural stuff is interesting, and I wanted to get an eeg machine to collect some data, but at the time it was prohibitively expensive, but I assume its much cheaper now.

Nice thread