T Nation

Bin Laden Directing Iraq?

Greetings:

Take a look at this:

In it, it says that bin laden is directing operations in Iraq.

I wanted to ask my democratic pals a question: If bin laden is directing those operations, wouldn’t you want to kill every single al qaeda in Iraq?

Wouldn’t pulling out give bin laden a victory and the will to go on?

Since we’ve seen in spain that al qaeda attacks countries who cut and run, shouldn’t the U.S. exterminate al qaeda?

I’m very curious how you guys spin this one.

JeffR

Working URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL2523582220070425

From the article: White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told reporters: “It’s an interesting claim but I haven’t seen any intelligence that would support that.”

So, Jeffro, when the news fits you views, you’ll take the word of a Taliban at face value? Just like that. A Taliban spoke on Al-Jazeera, by Allah, it must be true!

Where’s the Jeffro who’s always asking for evidence, back-up, facts, verifications?

Superb double-standard you’ve got going there. May I suggest you try for a little more subtlety next time.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Working URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL2523582220070425

From the article: White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told reporters: “It’s an interesting claim but I haven’t seen any intelligence that would support that.”

So, Jeffro, when the news fits you views, you’ll take the word of a Taliban at face value? Just like that. A Taliban spoke on Al-Jazeera, by Allah, it must be true!

Where’s the Jeffro who’s always asking for evidence, back-up, facts, verifications?

Superb double-standard you’ve got going there. May I suggest you try for a little more subtlety next time.
[/quote]

I think you missed an “if” there buddy. If you’re going to do the harsh tough guy line, which your waaaay too stupid for anyway, try to do it when you have a reason… ok buddy? Better luck next time.

Yup, it would’ve been smart to exterminate Al-Quaida when we had them surrounded in Tora Bora in Afghanistan. Instead dummbass #1 and dumbass #2 decided it was time to invade Iraq and started the current BS war.

I doubt Bin Laden has much direct involvement. I’m sure he’s passed general goals down the pipeline to agents in Iraq. However, there is absolutely no doubt that Al Qaeda is very active in Iraq. Some fairly recent and positive news is that Sunni groups are forming anti-Al Qaeda alliances. This includes some rather influential Sunni clerics and so forth.

In the past Sunni groups were either cooperative, indifferent, or paralyzed by fear, towards AL Qaeda and their affiliates in Iraq. Now, they’re informing on them, killing them, and attempting to persuade other Sunnis to reject them.

[quote]JeffR wrote:

JeffR[/quote]

Ah hell, we’ve already given him and others the will to go on. For years now we’ve failed to put up a unified front in this country. We’ve failed to show tenacity and resolve amongst many of our leaders.

When you have congressmen proclaiming the war to be lost…Or the majority party tying a hasty withdraw onto troop funding…Well, we’ve given Bin and his ilk more than enough reason to believe we’ll blink first. How the hell do we get an enemy to give up it’s goals when they see us a step away from accepting defeat?

Make no mistake, they are convinced their victory in Iraq is one election away. They said we’re paper tigers, and they just might turn out to be right. We shall see.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
I think you missed an “if” there buddy. If you’re going to do the harsh tough guy line, which your waaaay too stupid for anyway, try to do it when you have a reason… ok buddy? Better luck next time.[/quote]

No, no, I saw the “if.”

I was responding to Jeffro’s assertion that this little tidbit requires some kind of “spin” which I don’t see the need for, since that “if” is about the size of Greenland.

It’d probably be best for you if you kept out of the way when adults are talking. You just end up wasting air and looking like an idiot anyway.

Ok, buddy?

Reid and Nancy sure have done a great job emboldening our enemies. They had to, since the Surge (in Iraq) was working. If it worked, the Dems might lose some seats in '08. They HAD to give Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda something to keep the terrorist-troops ‘on the reservation’.

Reid (especially) and Nancy should be put on trial for treason.

if there is any al-qaeda in Iraq, thank GWB.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Reid (especially) and Nancy should be put on trial for treason.[/quote]

For disagreeing with the war? Or what exactly is your reason behind that?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Reid and Nancy sure have done a great job emboldening our enemies.[/quote]

I love that word: emboldening. I don’t think I’ve ever heard or read it other than in those lovely republican talking points.

Yeah, they’d been so timid for the last 4 years, now, they’re really chuffed and ready to go.

It was? When? How?

I’m sure a surge could work, if you had 10 times the soldier. 200,000 additional troops: Fair chance of success I’d say. 20,000? Not so hot.

300,000 troops have not managed to pacify the region in 4 years. Do you really think that the solution this whole time was 320,000 troops? Damn, Rummy was so close, I’m almost sorry he got canned.

[quote]If it worked, the Dems might lose some seats in '08. They HAD to give Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda something to keep the terrorist-troops ‘on the reservation’.

Reid (especially) and Nancy should be put on trial for treason.[/quote]

Ah, so the democrats are so desperate for the presidency that they’re ready to help the enemy and sell out America? That makes so much sense.

I’m really glad you teach a subject where your opinion has absolutely no bearing.

[quote]Ren wrote:
if there is any al-qaeda in Iraq, thank GWB. [/quote]

Boom, head shot.

If we had never invaded, he would never have considered going.

And we have no idea if hes there or not.

Don’t you think it’s more likely that he’s had a hand in the recent Afghanistan uprisings? Didn’t we give him a HUGE win by cutting and running from there to go to Iraq?

[quote]ren wrote:
if there is any al-qaeda in Iraq, thank GWB. [/quote]

Come on dems.

You can do better than “It’s George’s fault.”

Or, the canadian’s perspective.

I was hoping for some serious analysis.

Something along the lines of: “Today is April 25th, 2007 and if we leave, this will happen.”

Or even, some self-reflection.

I see one hell of a lot of Republicans critical of Republicans.

I see NEXT TO NOTHING being said by democrats about democrats.

If we are going to have real dialogue, there must be at LEAST an appearance of open discussion.

There are a few guys on here that SIMPLY CANNOT be happy with pelosi in Syria or the dems trying to cut funding. You CANNOT be happy with reid waffling about meeting with W. to discuss the issues and being openly supportive of your colleague meeting assad of syria.

Throw out the bradley’s and the renny’s.

I just have to believe that a few of you dems have SECRETLY had some misgivings about your party’s direction.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but, I expect more from guys like fighting irish and beowolf than “it’s all George’s fault.”

JeffR

[quote]Sloth wrote:
JeffR wrote:

JeffR

Ah hell, we’ve already given him and others the will to go on. For years now we’ve failed to put up a unified front in this country. We’ve failed to show tenacity and resolve amongst many of our leaders.

When you have congressmen proclaiming the war to be lost…Or the majority party tying a hasty withdraw onto troop funding…Well, we’ve given Bin and his ilk more than enough reason to believe we’ll blink first. How the hell do we get an enemy to give up it’s goals when they see us a step away from accepting defeat?

Make no mistake, they are convinced their victory in Iraq is one election away. They said we’re paper tigers, and they just might turn out to be right. We shall see.[/quote]

Sloth,

I agree with everything you said.

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
[/quote]

Ben Laden had a victory the day you walked into Baghdad. He probably also rejoiced when Bush won his 2nd term.

The will to go on is irrelevant for the kind of monster who seems to delight at the death of innocents. He’s not after anything and that’s why you can’t discourage him.

Now that this is out of the way, I don’t think Ben Laden represents a threat anymore. He is the world’s most wanted fugitive and in that position, there’s not much you can accomplish. However, he unleashed the beast that is global terrorism and there’s no way you can put it back in the box using violence. Matter of fact, it feeds on the very violence you throw at it. You need to act on the causes instead of the quixotic journey you embarked on. And as painful as that may sound to some of you, the answer lies somewhere at the intersection of Chavez’s speeches, Ben Laden’s rhetoric, UN general assembly resolutions, world’s public opinion and Eisenhower’s '61 address.

It seems to me that you folks stopped using your brains after 9/11 and started making decisions with your hearts. I empathize with that and want you to know that the trauma was general. Now, it seems to me that most of you are coming out of the delusional state you were in (We have the strongest military on Earth, therefore we can crush those ants!) and, like any Sunday morning hangover, are contemplating the extent of the damage you’ve caused. Yes, a little bit more alcohol will clear your head for a while, but it can only worsen the condition in which you’ll spend the rest of your day.

In short, no. Pulling out of Iraq will not be a victory for Ben Laden. It will certainly be one for the Iraqis who can finally start dealing with the wreckage you caused. It’ll be a victory for the (largely) disfortunate young kids who can finally come home to their loved ones. I’ll be a victory for the secular and moderates in Iraq who can finally have a chance of rallying people to their cause. It’ll be a victory for the great number of veterans, intellectuals, students, journalists, politicians as well as the mothers and fathers who have been trying to talk some sense out of Bush for four years now. Most of all, it’ll be a victory for those of us who believe a better world is possible.

Peace.

[quote]lixy wrote:
JeffR wrote:

Ben Laden had a victory the day you walked into Baghdad. He probably also rejoiced when Bush won his 2nd term.

The will to go on is irrelevant for the kind of monster who seems to delight at the death of innocents. He’s not after anything and that’s why you can’t discourage him.

Now that this is out of the way, I don’t think Ben Laden represents a threat anymore. He is the world’s most wanted fugitive and in that position, there’s not much you can accomplish. However, he unleashed the beast that is global terrorism and there’s no way you can put it back in the box using violence. Matter of fact, it feeds on the very violence you throw at it. You need to act on the causes instead of the quixotic journey you embarked on. And as painful as that may sound to some of you, the answer lies somewhere at the intersection of Chavez’s speeches, Ben Laden’s rhetoric, UN general assembly resolutions, world’s public opinion and Eisenhower’s '61 address.

It seems to me that you folks stopped using your brains after 9/11 and started making decisions with your hearts. I empathize with that and want you to know that the trauma was general. Now, it seems to me that most of you are coming out of the delusional state you were in (We have the strongest military on Earth, therefore we can crush those ants!) and, like any Sunday morning hangover, are contemplating the extent of the damage you’ve caused. Yes, a little bit more alcohol will clear your head for a while, but it can only worsen the condition in which you’ll spend the rest of your day.

In short, no. Pulling out of Iraq will not be a victory for Ben Laden. It will certainly be one for the Iraqis who can finally start dealing with the wreckage you caused. It’ll be a victory for the (largely) disfortunate young kids who can finally come home to their loved ones. I’ll be a victory for the secular and moderates in Iraq who can finally have a chance of rallying people to their cause. It’ll be a victory for the great number of veterans, intellectuals, students, journalists, politicians as well as the mothers and fathers who have been trying to talk some sense out of Bush for four years now. Most of all, it’ll be a victory for those of us who believe a better world is possible.

Peace.[/quote]

lixy,

Next time you talk to bin laden, tell him that Rudy is coming.

Let me know how he takes that.

JeffR

[quote]Ren wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

For disagreeing with the war? Or what exactly is your reason behind that?[/quote]

What would you think of a US Senator if he said, in 1942, that the war is lost? Japan has beaten us. The Nazis and Hirohito can now take over.

Traitors, all of them.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Ah, so the democrats are so desperate for the presidency that they’re ready to help the enemy and sell out America? That makes so much sense.

I’m really glad you teach a subject where your opinion has absolutely no bearing.

[/quote]

You’re willing to trust people who announce ‘we’ve lost’ to an enemy, while our men are still in the field? You trust power hungry politicians? Good luck to you.

As for your last statement: I manage to work in some good stuff. If my students are going to be bombarded by libs in college, I happily give my students a little ammo (courtesy of Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and, of course, Ayn Rand).

[quote]lixy wrote:
JeffR wrote:

[/quote]

He will be exterminated, if he isn’t already. We WILL win in Iraq.

“Only a fool bets against the United States of America.”
— JP Morgan

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Next time you talk to bin laden, tell him that Rudy is coming.[/quote]

Will Rudy be wearing a dress for that occasion?

I’m sure that would freak out OBL.