T Nation

Bill Starr's 5x5 & Shoulders?

I have started this new workout after my last started to feel stale to me. I enjoy the high weight and big movements but there is no shoulder exercises in the whole program. It is just squats, deads, rows, bp and incline bp, as the big 5x5 movements and then some 3x8 dips, curls and tri ext’s on friday.

Has anyone done this program before? If so how was the shoulder development?

Should I incorperate some standing barbell presses as 5x5 on a day or two?

The web site says not to add or take anything away from the plan but what are your thoughts?

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
I have started this new workout after my last started to feel stale to me. I enjoy the high weight and big movements but there is no shoulder exercises in the whole program. It is just squats, deads, rows, bp and incline bp, as the big 5x5 movements and then some 3x8 dips, curls and tri ext’s on friday.

Has anyone done this program before? If so how was the shoulder development?

Should I incorperate some standing barbell presses as 5x5 on a day or two?

The web site says not to add or take anything away from the plan but what are your thoughts?[/quote]

There are lots of variations on Bill Starr’s original program from ‘The Strongest Shall Survive’

One way to do it:

M

SQ
BP
Powerclean or Rows
Accessory

W

SQ(light)
Military Press
Deadlift
Pullup
Accessory

F

SQ
BP or Incline BP
Powerclean or Row
Accessory

…but there are many other ways to arrange it. Just keep the big movements in, and keep the general idea of the program.

Good luck.