T Nation

Bill Starr Power Routine

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 292 lbs.
Bodyfat: roughly 35%

After a 21 month layoff today is my first day back in the gym. My number one goal obviously is to LOSE FAT. I've started the Paleo Diet now for a week and already losing weight. I'm going to be doing the good old Bill Starr's Big Three 5 x 5, it's simple and it works. I'm probably really weak right now so please don't laugh too hard when I post my numbers in the Squat, Bench, and Power Clean.

I will be walking for an hour everyday and lifting three days a week. When my fitness and energy levels start to increase I'll probably start hitting the heavy bag and run stairs. Wish me luck and I hope to keep myself accountable by being a part of this community.

Day One is in the books!
Squats 135 - 155 - 175 - 195 - 215
Bench 95 - 105 - 115 - 125 - 135
Clean 95 - 105 - 115 - 125 - 135
Finished up with light stretching and resistance tubing presses, pulls, curls, lunges
All in all I feel really great. I got my work in and got the out!
I really am weak I can't remember when 215 felt heavy in the squat.
It's a solid start and I'll keep on lifting and posting.

Day Two is now done!
Squats 4 x 5: 135 - 155 - 185 - 185
OH Presses 4 x 5: 95 - 100 - 105 - 110
High Pulls 4 x 5: 95 - 105 - 115 - 125

Feeling absolutely great and very energetic. and I think the genius of this program is in its simplicity.
Being a sedentary couch potato the last couple years definitely shows in my strength levels. And I've been pretty sore, especially my legs. Keeping track of my workouts in a public forum definitely makes me feel accountable. I'm trying to do less rather than do more, go overboard and then quit. Paleo diet is working well for me too. I've already gone from 292 down to 287 since last Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to Friday.

Words of advice: NEVER TAKE 21 MONTHS OFF!!! I am one sore ass motherf'er today! From my calves to my traps and everything in between!