T Nation

Bill Roberts Supplementation


#1

Hey Bill
what are the essential supplements for a professional bodybuilder in your opinion? both to maximize your earnings to preserve your health?

thank you


#2

im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins


#3

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

How much ubiquinol do you take? I remember reading an article a while back recommending 400mg at least. The stuff gets expensive


#4

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

How much ubiquinol do you take? I remember reading an article a while back recommending 400mg at least. The stuff gets expensive
[/quote]

I actually take about 200mg of the regular coq10… no one in either side of my family has ever had heart disease or a heart attack/cardiac event despite being heavy smokers/alcoholics/drug addicts etc…

supplementation for cardiac health becomes exponentially more important if you have a family history of these illness IMO.


#5

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

How much ubiquinol do you take? I remember reading an article a while back recommending 400mg at least. The stuff gets expensive
[/quote]

I actually take about 200mg of the regular coq10… no one in either side of my family has ever had heart disease or a heart attack/cardiac event despite being heavy smokers/alcoholics/drug addicts etc…

supplementation for cardiac health becomes exponentially more important if you have a family history of these illness IMO. [/quote]

there’s also some interesting data showing that it helps protect the kidneys of patients in dialysis at 180 mg/day.


#6

and here’s some good info on TUDCA:

http://www.currenttherapeuticres.com/article/S0011-393X(05)80659-9/abstract


#7

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

What? No mention of Vitamin D??! Blasphemy.

As for your other advice, my BP is in great shape but I have high LDL and am on TRT. Should I be worried?


#8

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

What? No mention of Vitamin D??! Blasphemy.

As for your other advice, my BP is in great shape but I have high LDL and am on TRT. Should I be worried?[/quote]

vitamin D3 is fine, but only if you take vitamin k2.

as for your cholesterol, how do your triglycerides, VLDL, and c-reactive protein look?


#9

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
im not Bill Roberts… but here are my suggestions

TUDCA
Nac
quality fish oil
ubiquinol
vitamin k2
Curcumin (preferably injectable)

make sure you keep your blood pressure in proper range, avoid painkillers and NSAIDS, don’t drink alcohol, and never take statins [/quote]

What? No mention of Vitamin D??! Blasphemy.

As for your other advice, my BP is in great shape but I have high LDL and am on TRT. Should I be worried?[/quote]

vitamin D3 is fine, but only if you take vitamin k2.

as for your cholesterol, how do your triglycerides, VLDL, and c-reactive protein look?[/quote]

I’ve never had my VLDL tested, it’s not usually tested in Canada.

My triglycerides are within range. I will talk to my doctor and see if what he says about VLDL. Unfortunately I will have to convince him to get it tested as opposed to simply being able to pay for it like you guys in the US can have happen.


#10

same with c-reactive protein


#11

Why do you opt for injectable curcumin?


#12

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Why do you opt for injectable curcumin?[/quote]

due to the poor bio-availability of oral administration, i believe…

what is your dosage of inj. curcumin, Walkway?


#13

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Why do you opt for injectable curcumin?[/quote]

due to the poor bio-availability of oral administration, i believe…

what is your dosage of inj. curcumin, Walkway?[/quote]

I use oral atm (meriva) because I stopped using GH.

inj curcumin burns lol


#14

All good answers above.

I didn’t answer before because “essential” is much too strong a word, and with regard to competition, these days maximizing income in professional bodybuilding has nothing to do with maintaining health, other than in the literal sense of making it to the competitions.

I couldn’t say that any given thing is essential: everything mentioned above is good, but quite likely for each named supplement there are pro bb’ers who do not take it.

Eating enough good food goes a long way for nutritional needs: anabolic steroids or GH do not I think create nutritional deficiencies. On concerns already mentioned of liver, blood lipids, blood pressure, and hematocrit, supplements don’t do so much if anything for the last two. For ventricular hypertrophy and insulin resistance from GH and insulin use, supplements won’t do anything for the first, and I doubt could do much on the second and don’t have a basis for saying how much if any.

It’s much more a question of managing drugs to keep harm no greater than tolerated than of powerfully-health-protecting nutritional supplements.


#15

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
All good answers above.

I didn’t answer before because “essential” is much too strong a word, and with regard to competition, these days maximizing income in professional bodybuilding has nothing to do with maintaining health, other than in the literal sense of making it to the competitions.

I couldn’t say that any given thing is essential: everything mentioned above is good, but quite likely for each named supplement there are pro bb’ers who do not take it.

Eating enough good food goes a long way for nutritional needs: anabolic steroids or GH do not I think create nutritional deficiencies. On concerns already mentioned of liver, blood lipids, blood pressure, and hematocrit, supplements don’t do so much if anything for the last two. For ventricular hypertrophy and insulin resistance from GH and insulin use, supplements won’t do anything for the first, and I doubt could do much on the second and don’t have a basis for saying how much if any.

It’s much more a question of managing drugs to keep harm no greater than tolerated than of powerfully-health-protecting nutritional supplements.
[/quote]

Hello Bill
But dont you recommend fish oil, multivitamin mineral, vit E,antioxidantes,etc…???


#16

The question was “essential” for professional bodybuilders.

Essential is a very strong word. I don’t that any of those are essential for maximizing earnings as a professional bodybuilder, which was the question.

Recommended? Sure, except no need to take supplemental alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E). Mixed tocopherols could well be worth taking for health, but not as a means of increasing income.