Bill Phillips/EAS

I have read some articles on the website and was just wondering why a lot of people here dont like Bill phillips and EAS? thanks.

He’s a POLLACK!

[quote]sethbron wrote:
I have read some articles on the website and was just wondering why a lot of people here dont like Bill phillips and EAS? thanks.[/quote]

TC did an article about his past relationship and experiences with Bill Phillips around Thanksgiving. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=525996

Does not paint a really purty picture of Bill.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

Sure Bill Phillips may be a fuckhead but cmon who fuckin cares,he has done a lot to help people with the hugely popular body for life,which i think is shit but he has helped a lot of people get into the gym.
So TC doesnt like him once again who gives a shit,it seems if TC doesnt like him or someone then everybody doesnt like him,look i love reading TC’s stuff and he seems like a top guy but he is not god and everyone has different opinions.
Now i may get flamed for this but this is not a attack on TC its just saying that i appreciate what bill has done for the bodybuilding community,i couldnt give a shit about what he does in his spare time or what he has done in the past,its not going to affect me in anyway.
Rant over (flame away)

Peace
H

[quote]HHH wrote:
Sure Bill Phillips may be a fuckhead but cmon who fuckin cares,he has done a lot to help people with the hugely popular body for life,which i think is shit but he has helped a lot of people get into the gym.
So TC doesnt like him once again who gives a shit,it seems if TC doesnt like him or someone then everybody doesnt like him,look i love reading TC’s stuff and he seems like a top guy but he is not god and everyone has different opinions.
Now i may get flamed for this but this is not a attack on TC its just saying that i appreciate what bill has done for the bodybuilding community,i couldnt give a shit about what he does in his spare time or what he has done in the past,its not going to affect me in anyway.
Rant over (flame away)

Peace
H[/quote]

Actually, I pretty much agree with you. Hey, I love the stuff the T-Nation guys like TC, Tim, Shugs, etc. put on here. Love the site, love their articles, and love the attitude. However, the one thing I find funny on T-Nation is that, at times, anything posted by them or CT and so on becomes gospel or the way people talk about Biotest supplements as if they need them like heroin. lol I mean, I like the stuff too, but it gets a little out of control.

That being said, I still will wear my T-Nation t-shirt to the gym tomorrow.

Kuz

I think that Bill Phillips gets bad rap around here because of his past relationship with TC, his monsterous ego, because he eventually started making comments like “I felt like I was on Deca,” when it turned out to be snake oil, and because he sold out to the mainstream. MM2K was a cool ass magazine and then…well…it might as well been Men’s Health. It was like Bill forgot where he came from. He completely turned his back to the culture that brought him up. Maybe he felt it was a necessary move in order to get away from his steroid persona. It worked because I bet you tons of money that most people that read Muscle Media during late 90’s/early 2000’s had no idea about Bill’s past. America wouldn’t embrace someone if god forbid THEY USED STEROIDS. It is an unfortunate situation.

I agree wtih mroussell. But basically, it all came down to money and fame. That was the only thing that mattered to Bill. He’s just one of those people. 15 years ago, only hardcore lifters knew Bill Phillips. He made a good living selling info and supplements to us. He also had the same girlfriend he always had. The everage person didn’t know who he was, famous people didn’t have a clue about him either. He was probably a millionaire, but barely. When he got REALLY money hungry, he tried to make a fortune through supplements. He broke away from Met-Rx and started his own formula for cheap and big profits. He brought out HMB and made outrageous claims about it. I’m sure he made a fortune on that yet he knowingly ripped off the very people who brought him to where he was. I knew this, you knew this, and he knew this.

He probably figured now was the time to get out. Why cater to a select diehard minority when you can go after the average American? Why make thousands when you can make millions? He then went after the mainstream, made an absolute fortune and almost immediately was know by everyone - housewives, movie stars, you name it. Next thing I know, there he is at the Academy Awards. WTF is he doing there??? But he was there. And all of a sudden he’s playing the field with models and actresses and his old girlfriend is in charge of charity stuff for EAS.

F Bill. But hey, it’s all over with. Yeah he ripped me off and should be put in jail. And that has nothing to do with TC or what he did to anyone else. But with that said, it’s all over with now. Bill is out of my life and will be forever. I’m happy with his replacement (T-Nation) so how can I complain???

How funny is it though that his longtime girlfriend (who he even proposed to at one point) is now openly gay and has a girlfriend! I love it!!!

[quote]greatgro wrote:
How funny is it though that his longtime girlfriend (who he even proposed to at one point) is now openly gay and has a girlfriend! I love it!!![/quote]

She prefers tuna over steak. Does that make her a T-Man?

Sethb,

I don’t really give a shit who Bill Phillips fucked or fucked over. The guy wrote a book that was simple for me to understand when I was 38 and out of shape. He made me believe that a normal person like me could get into the gym and change his body. And you know what, it happened.

I recently bought the “Book of Muscle” which I think suffers terribly in comparison to “Body for Life” for someone starting out. I doubt 100 people in the world will actually suffer though the boring Beginner workout sections in the book. But goddamn there are a lot of pretty pictures. Yawn.

The genius of Bill Phillips what that he used real people to convince other real people that it could be done. He got millions of people in the gym.

Those who love steroids hate him because he turned his back on that world and ended up making 100 million dollars or something crazy like that when he sold EAS.

And by the way, Bill did know his audience. As soon as he left Muscle Media, the magazine went straight into the toilet and is now out of business.

So if Body for Life works for you, don’t let the haters get to you. Stick with it. That simple program will do you more good than all the complex diet and exercise in the world that you actually don’t use.

Oh and as for TC’s article about hubris and humility… yeah, I’m pretty sure it was his overwhelming humility that got Arnold to the top of everything he ever did.

Ask Boyer Coe.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
Oh and as for TC’s article about hubris and humility… yeah, I’m pretty sure it was his overwhelming humility that got Arnold to the top of everything he ever did.

Ask Boyer Coe.[/quote]

Care to elaborate on this statement a little bit, especially the Boyer Coe part.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
The genius of Bill Phillips what that he used real people to convince other real people that it could be done. He got millions of people in the gym.[/quote]

I always thought that the whole Body For Life competition with real people competing for a prize was actually TC’s idea. (I remember the original “Win Bill’s Car” magazine issue.)Can anyone confirm?

Seems like you never saw the original MM2K. Muscle Media was something that had ALREADY been fished out of the toilet in comparison to MM2K.

[quote]bamit wrote:
futuredave wrote:

Ask Boyer Coe.

Care to elaborate on this statement a little bit, especially the Boyer Coe part.[/quote]

Or Frank Zane, Mike Mentzer, Chris Dickerson. Anybody who thought they had a shot at winning the 1980 Mr. Olympia. Arnold had been off doing movies and was supposed to be at the event, covering it for TV. Instead, he entered at the last minute and won, despite not being in top shape.

It was Arnold’s huge slap in the face of everybody who had come after him.

Quoting from Pumping Iron: “When he learned he had won second place, Chris Dickerson said ‘Oh, no!’ and disappeared into the Australian night. Frank Zane smashed his third-place trophy in the parking lot. Boyer Coe reportedly asked out loud if there was no justice, then sent chairs flying into walls.”

Why did Arnold return, with nothing really to gain and everything to lose? Again from Pumping Iron: “I wanted to… see them all freak out and have diarrhea, you know? And be confused and be upset about it, and have a career that they had planned for themselves go down the tube in two seconds. And I accomplished that. People are retiring now. Boyer Coe wants to retire, Mike Mentzer wants to retire, everybody wants to retire now because of this event.”

So much for humility. Oh, and speaking of Arnold and T-men, who the fuck is going to rag on Bill Phillips for banging fitness models? Or not marrying his girlfriend? Can anyone say Lance Armstrong?

I don’t know Bill Phillips or give a shit about him, but to criticise him for not being humble and faithful to his girlfriend… Grow the fuck up.

(Though I will have to say I was very surprised to find out he’s not gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…)

… or the way people talk about Biotest supplements as if they need them like heroin. lol I mean, I like the stuff too, but it gets a little out of control.

Kuz[/quote]

I’m with you, Kuz. I posted a serious question once asking why Grow! was better than Iron-Tek Micellular or Beverly International’s Mass Maker and I did not get a single response other than “Beverly International? You’re kidding, right?”

Uh, yeah, I’m kidding about one of the top supplement makers in the world. I’m kidding about the supplement that professional body builders actually PAY for… and which costs less than Grow!

[quote]futuredave wrote:
I don’t know Bill Phillips or give a shit about him, but to criticise him for not being humble and faithful to his girlfriend… Grow the fuck up.

(Though I will have to say I was very surprised to find out he’s not gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…)[/quote]

I agree that people don’t necessarily need to be humble. However, there’s a difference between lack of humility and just plain being an arsehole. To know that you’re good at something and act like you know it is one thing. To be mean to others, treat them like crap and to fuck people over for your own enjoyment is something else entirely. When peope cross that line is when I lose respect for them.

Funnily enough, I too always thought he was gay. I figured Ami was just a decoy girlfriend. Hey, maybe the fitness models were his way of overcompensating for his ‘true’ feelings. It always seemed like Bill had a thing for that Brad Jeffries fella. :wink:

(* Yes, I know who Brad was. That just shows how long I’ve been reading about this crap).

greatgo:

How did Bill Phillips rip you off, or the general public as well for that matter?

I am asking as I would really like to know where your bitterness stems from. Not trying to criticize you.