T Nation

Bill Gates advice to kids!

In case you’ve never seen this. I have this posted in my office.

RULE 1 - Life is not fair; get used to it.
RULE 2 - The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
RULE 3 - You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won’t be a vice-president with a car phone, until you earn
both.
RULE 4 - If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn’t have tenure.
RULE 5 - Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping, they called it opportunity.
RULE 6 - If you mess up, it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
RULE 7 - Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents’ generation, try delousing “the clothes in your own room.”
RULE 8 - Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades; they will let you try as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
RULE 9 - Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.
RULE 10 - Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to their jobs.
RULE 11 - Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

This is good stuff Bodz. Thanks for posting
it. I’m no fan of Gates, but nontheless, good
advice.

I don’t care for the man/child himself either. Just like the advice.

I hate stuff like this. It sound like a cynical middle age guy who hates his job (and life) wrote this. Jesus, let kids be kids and enjoy life. What’s the rush to get into the “real world”? I sure don’t want to accelerate my children’s descent into bitterness.

And btw, some people DO make $40,000 a year right out of college :slight_smile:

T, I don’t want to get into an arguement with you here, but; #1 it says high school, not college. #2 Glad your kids are doing good. Most aren’t. This post reflects what kids nowadays expect. I am 41 and am not bitter. Heck, I laugh at the kids nowadays. I laugh at how much lack of discipline they have. I can’t wait to see them working at burger king or some meaningless job, while I enjoy a nice glass of cognac because I busted my ass, worked full time to put myself through a private high school and am about to semi-retire by the end of the year. I was picking grapes at age 6 to help support the family. My girlfriend’s son is 18, he has been spoiled and let do whatever he pleases and be a kid, like you said. Guess what? He had a chance to get a scholarship and play baseball in college. He threw it away, because he got lazy and expected to make the team regardless that he didn’t practice or keep himself in shape. Yeah, let him be a kid. dyed his hair, messed around, grades went from A’s and B’s to D’s and F’s. He is going to a city college after he graduates and doesn’t have any idea what he wants to do. Mommie made $100,000 a year and he was used to getting what he wanted. Welcome to the real world.

Yes, Bodz, all true. My parents spoiled me when I was younger (my dad always bought me new cars, didn’t make me pay insurance, etc.), and I had a devil of a time accepting responsibility or having goals/ambitions. Thankfully, I gathered up enough sense to kick myself in the ass and go to college, work, etc. However, the scars continue, and I wish my parents would have taught me at a young age to excel and take responsibility. They were well meaning, good people, but just didn’t realize (being Italian immigrants) how important it is in a modern, capitalistic society to rear your kids to be ‘go getters’.

Maclar, man, you gave me shivers. Seriously, bro. I am sitting her typing and I still feel it. Its good to hear of triumph from the other side of the fence.

Nice post, Bodz. Here’s some tangentally-related advice on how to impress your client (I got this from chain email a friend sent): A guy’s in the executive lounge in SeaTac airport waiting for an important client when he sees Bill Gates. Not being shy, he walks over to Gates, introduces himself and says, “Y’know, I’ve got an important meeting here in a few minutes and it would really help me impress my client if you’d come over and say “hi”, like we knew each other.” Gates agrees to help out, and the guy goes back to his seat. A few minutes later, the client walks in and they start talking. Gates gives it a minute, then walks over and says, “Hey Frank, how ya doing?” The guy says, “Fuck off, Gates, I’m in a meeting.”

(Apologies if you’ve heard it before.)

Chris, LOL…good one. Nope, this is the first time hearing/reading that joke.

Kids have no responsibility or respect nowadays? That is a load of crap. You do sound like an old man. That is the same thing that old people have been saying about young people since the start of time. It makes old people feel better about themselves. Kids today have are just as responsible as kids in your time. Stop targeting a defenceless group in todays society and pick on an age group that can defend themselves. You probably think youth crime is worse today too. NO. It has been going down for the past 7 or 8 years.

I guess it really just depends on the individual. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Oh, and I didn’t mean to imply that whoever posted this was bitter, but I’m sure you know that. I guess we’ll have to wait a few decades and see what the world turns into!

Molsonman, well you must still be young. Young and bitter of old people telling you, you are worthless. For starters, I’m sorry if you took offense to this. It wasn’t pointed at you directly, but in my experience, I have found that those that speak up first are the ones who are guilty. If this was posted in my youth, I would have read it and noted everything I was doing right. It wouldn’t have bothered me, since I knew I was going in the right direction. If this offends anyone, it is because it is true. I know you’ve heard what I’m going to say, as have I when I was your age; “once you get a little older you’ll understand”. go back and read Maclar’s response. Yes, old people have been saying how kids are not respectful since before Christ was born. It will never change. But, over the years things have progressively gotten worse. Look at the current rash of kids who are taking guns to school. Right here in my home town (Fresno CA), we had a kid who left school, went home got a gun, came back and started pointing and threatening. They arrested him, searched his locker and home. Found a “hit” list of all the kids who had made fun of him. Oh, boo hoo. My girlfriends son was on the list. He is a little wise ass and told the kid he had a lame job. In my grandparents day, their parents would have told them to just do their homework and ignore the situation. You can’t get along with everybody. In my parents day, it was the same. In my day, it was the same. But, in the last 10-15 years, parents have gotten soft. They are afraid to hurt their childrens feelings. They don’t have time for them, so they “buy” their love with toys, clothes, games to keep them occupied. My brothers and sisters (there are six of us) are all strict but fair with their kids. No whiners. They are all respectable kids. They don’t get in trouble, are learning to be disciplined and will probably all go on to do great things. My girlfriend is of the “other” group I spoke. You can read about him in my previous post. My previous girlfriend’s daughter was brought up the same way and allowed into adult conversations and treated on the same level as the adults. She later ran away twice because she didn’t like it when “mom” decided to make her study. She ended up pregnant/married/divorced by 17. She got pregnant again at 19. “Yep, don’t want to put out posts like this and upset the poor little darlings; It might give them a complex or something”

Pretty good advice from a guy who strug gold before his college ended. hah talk about being lazy. I read an interview once with a guy who was with Msoft in the growing years… he tells that the work Gates made was time after time rejected because it was even worse then waht the other employees made :). He also tells about Gates lack of insight in future developments. but, its still pretty good advice from a guy that has a company that holds one of the world’s strongest monopolistic positions for a record time. Perhaps this might be seen as Joe weider giving advice on how to make quality supplements :slight_smile:

Bodz, you just don’t get it do you? This is all your personal opinion based on the media and the belief of the “good ole days”. Well get into reality. Don’t use a stupid saying like those who speak first must be guilty. That is a very oppressive saying to keep people from arguing against your point. I show great respect to people who deserve respect. I work hard and have succeeded in my life so far. I am sick and tired of older people saying ignorant things about young people. I hear it all the time (I’m a budding criminologist and I’m in the army reserve military police). I really wish people would base their opinions on research instead of ignorance. Kids have killed since the beginning of time. Now we have media coverage of the events. Adults kill a lot more. Shouldn’t we say that adults are getting out of hand and have no respect these days?

Molsonman, I don’t get my information from the media. I get it from experience. I see this shit everday. I too, am from a criminology background, having served 8 years combined civilian and military law enforcement. I worked making a penny a page collating for my father’s printing company to making $60,000 a year as a business manager with no formal education in it. Just raw experience busting my ass. I am self taught in all my pursuits. And by doing so without the misguided educational system and media hype, made myself into the top trainer in my town of 800,000. I won’t even get into #'s with you on this, just say that I can retire right now at age 41. I choose not to, only semi-retire, because I love what I do. I am around kids every day. When I was in law enforcement and in personal training. Sure, there are some good kids, but, there are a lot of lazy kids also. Sure, there were lazy kids in my day also. Never said there weren’t. I chose not to be one, just as apparently you did too. Don’t let the post offend you. It is letting the kids that are reflected here get a message. It is also letting adults know, they are spoiling there kids. It is also letting parents know they are not bad parents, they just have lazy kids. If this post offended you so much, you will “NOT” make it in law enforcement. You have to seperate your emotions from the job. I saw too many guys on the force lose it. I wish you the best.

Molson, one more thing; This will be my last post on this thread. I have better things to do with my time, than argue about something so trivial. There are articles every day in the paper and on the news, that I’m sure you don’t agree with. This message reflects todays times. I could just as easily make it fit my day. In my day, the kids in high school drank, didn’t work, had parties 3-4 times a week, dumped trash in the other schools lawn or pool, threw eggs. And I went to a private school. No one said this about you. It is just a message. If had been printed in my day, It wouldn’t bother me, because I knew I didn’t fit into that category anyway. If you are already in the work force and out of grammar or high school, this doesn’t really apply to you anyway. And I didn’t see where it said, “Molson, this is a message for you”. Are you a kid or a man? Maybe you should change your name to MolsonKid.

Bodz you have a twisted view of todays youth. Probably caused by your time with the force. I would say about 95% of youth who have gone bad is directly caused by their parents. Just look at the family life of youth that have been arrested. My views are based on research not a biased opinion. There are no bad kids, just bad parents. You insulted me because I have been proving you wrong and you had to get defensive. That is also the reason you said it was your last post. Base your opinions on research not biased opinions. I had to tell Jason R. Baron that too.

First of all - Great post Bodz :-).
Im afraid you are right about most. Our situation is different then it were two or more decades ago. We live much easier, get higher salarys for less work, and the human nature wants to adapt to this. It’s instintive. Most kids live on their parents previously great initiative and hard work. I were lucky enough to get in a nice and pretty rich family - But now (being 18) I start to think that i don’t deserve all i got from them. I really admire those in the past who built up the world as it is today - almost without a penny to help.

Anyways i allso have to agree that there is still a lot of juice left in quite a few youths out there :-). In the past i’d say that they might work more - But nowadays it’s more usual with higher education (at least where i come from), and knowledge is ranked much higher. I guess we’ll have to wait another decade or two to see if we’re as lazy as you want us to be!

However those advices seemed great - And i’ll keep them in mind for later!

Neo, thanks. And everyone…Molson is right, there are no bad kids; there is an easter bunny, a santa claus, a tooth fairy and dammit Tide with bleach gets his whites whiter.

I remember the first time I read these – laughed my arse off. I get them via e-mail about 3 times a year. I think this applies to each generation as they pass through that coming-of-age time, with adjustments to the income figure. As for blaming the parents for the child’s behavior, I don’t think that’s totally correct. Hear me out before you automatically hit that “post a reply” button. 100 years ago most every one had their own business (called plying a trade), or worked as an apprentice in order to go on their own eventually. Kids would generally work under their fathers (soory about that ladies, it’s just the way it was then) fairly early in life and get the sense of responsibility along with it. Then the governments took over the schools, and things eventually got to where we are now with most people working for large companies. As you would expect, companies want to pay the minimum they can for their labor. So now we have the economic reality of both parents needing to work to have a decent lifestyle. Can you say latchkey kids? That’s where most of the problems with youth come from. Now if the parents are both working to maintain a high lifestyle at the expense of their kids, I think there’s a priority problem. But the economic reality is that both parents generally need to work to make it. My hat is definitely of to single parents – you are T-people in my book.