T Nation

Bike Guys

I pretty much know nothing about bikes. I’m a car guy. But, I wouldn’t mind having a cheap street bike for some fun.
I’ve never ridden a dirt bike even, so I don’t want something that will kill me.

is this even worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___2008-Street-Legal-200cc-LIFAN-Motorcycle-GENIUNE-green_W0QQitemZ280237489424QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280237489424&

it’s cheap, (though cheap looking), but figured it might be decent just for some extra fun and nothing that would kill me.

200cc, kinda small to me. Look at KLR250 or 650 maybe, had a 650 and loved it. (it is a Dual bike, street and trail; good MPG and fun to ride)


KLR650 (you could get a good used one for around 3,000)

I’m sure a 600 would be a decent starter and more fun, but I’m also on a budget here. Plus, again, I’d rather not have something that will want me to push the limits.

basically, is something like this a complete waste of money?

I would avoid those Korean POS like the plague.

For that kind of money, you can find a nice used SV650, Bandit 600, Ninja 250, etc. that will not blow up after 500 miles and are forgiving enough to learn to ride on(and fun enough to ride for many years to come, the aftermarket upgrade potential for the SV650 is HUGE).

Check out a Motorcycle Safety Course and enjoy life on two wheels!

[quote]dk44 wrote:
KLR650 (you could get a good used one for around 3,000)[/quote]

I’m not a fan of that style of look though :shrug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-LONGBO-LB200-2-SPORT-FREE-SHIPPING-LB200-Longbo-LB200-Street-200-CC-Motorcycle-RED-FREE-SnH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ6719QQihZ020QQitemZ300235836466QQtcZphoto

not too keen on the color scheme, but doesn’t look too bad

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I would avoid those Korean POS like the plague.

For that kind of money, you can find a nice used SV650, Bandit 600, Ninja 250, etc. that will not blow up after 500 miles and are forgiving enough to learn to ride on(and fun enough to ride for many years to come, the aftermarket upgrade potential for the SV650 is HUGE).

Check out a Motorcycle Safety Course and enjoy life on two wheels! [/quote]

Agree completely. Stick with a major manufacturer.

I would personally hate it, 200cc is really small and even a 250cc is tiny. And not to be a funny guy at all, but my little cousin (12 yr old) is really starting to outgrow his little Honda Rebel and I think it’s either a 200 or 250. I don’t think you will like that bike very much honestly.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I would avoid those Korean POS like the plague.

For that kind of money, you can find a nice used SV650, Bandit 600, Ninja 250, etc. that will not blow up after 500 miles and are forgiving enough to learn to ride on(and fun enough to ride for many years to come, the aftermarket upgrade potential for the SV650 is HUGE).

Check out a Motorcycle Safety Course and enjoy life on two wheels! [/quote]

not reliable? that sucks

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I would avoid those Korean POS like the plague.

For that kind of money, you can find a nice used SV650, Bandit 600, Ninja 250, etc. that will not blow up after 500 miles and are forgiving enough to learn to ride on(and fun enough to ride for many years to come, the aftermarket upgrade potential for the SV650 is HUGE).

Check out a Motorcycle Safety Course and enjoy life on two wheels! [/quote]

I have heard good things about the Ninja 250, even tho they seem tiny to me also.

From what i hear, starting out at 600 can be dangerous. A friend of mine that rides said its like giving a kid who’s never driven a car before a Lamborghini. Makes sense I suppose.

Anywhoo, I’m taking the MSF course this August, and planning to get a used 250 for a grand for around 2-3 months just to bang around, get my skills set on. Then go for the 600.

[quote]mafzal4 wrote:
From what i hear, starting out at 600 can be dangerous. A friend of mine that rides said its like giving a kid who’s never driven a car before a Lamborghini. Makes sense I suppose.

Anywhoo, I’m taking the MSF course this August, and planning to get a used 250 for a grand for around 2-3 months just to bang around, get my skills set on. Then go for the 600.[/quote]

600 sportsbike is a crazy jump, but IMO a dual sport or cruiser is a little easier, everyone is different tho. You better know your personality, risktakers should stick to Mopeds if they want to live.

seems rather cheap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___1993-suzuki-katana-gsx-600-will-ship-anywhere-cheappppp_W0QQitemZ270249216532QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270249216532&

[quote]dk44 wrote:
KLR650 (you could get a good used one for around 3,000)[/quote]

I got mine for $2500, sold it 3 years later for half that (it had problems).

It’s a great bike for beginners as you sit up high and can see traffic. Downside, you have to be tall to ride it, and it really doesn’t want to go over 75 maybe 80 miles an hour.

My first bike is a SV650F and I love it dearly. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course and recommend all new riders do the same.

Now that my new camera finally arrived, I can show you what it looks like…

Not knowing a damn thing about bikes other than they’re works of industrial art … I’ve always been partial to the Ducati Monster. What’s the opinion of guys who know. Cool bike or poser machine? I assume it’s $30,000 too …

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
Not knowing a damn thing about bikes other than they’re works of industrial art … I’ve always been partial to the Ducati Monster. What’s the opinion of guys who know. Cool bike or poser machine? I assume it’s $30,000 too …[/quote]

You have good taste, sir. I would love to show up at an air show on that.

Buying your first motorcycle via ebay is probably not the best way to go. If you’re going to get something used, have a friend who is an experienced rider actually look at anything before you buy. If there’s an active craigslist in your area, that might be checking out as well.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
Not knowing a damn thing about bikes other than they’re works of industrial art … I’ve always been partial to the Ducati Monster. What’s the opinion of guys who know. Cool bike or poser machine? I assume it’s $30,000 too …[/quote]

The Ducati Monster is a thing of beauty. I just wish I had Ducati money.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
Not knowing a damn thing about bikes other than they’re works of industrial art … I’ve always been partial to the Ducati Monster. What’s the opinion of guys who know. Cool bike or poser machine? I assume it’s $30,000 too …[/quote]

A Ducati is a Posers’s MV. :slight_smile: Get a Brutale instead.