Bigorexia

Alright anyone hear about bigorexia, it’s the opposite of annorexia and you pretty much never see yourself as big, no matter how hard you try, you can be 242 and you still feel as if your tiny, and no persuasion will make you think that you really ARE a big person.

It’s also a disorder in which people always try to attain a physique better then their current one but even when they reach something they wanted, its still not good enough for them and they want more. If anyone looks it up on google, it’s pretty interesting, yet kinda scary at the same time how this disorder can actually take over your life. As in people get fired from jobs because they must workout and thinking that a job will interfere too much with their lifting and such.

Anyways I was wondering if any of you think that you’ve suffered from this. I think I have actually and am kinda trying to sway away because another condition is that you constantly look in the mirror at yourself. Which sounds weird but I do actually, always seeing how I look and such. In highschool a lot of kids tell me I’m big, I’m 195lbs now, and I can admit I have a good deal of muscle mass, cause I’m lean also.

Anyways if one looks at my profile and photos I can see that I’m pretty built (not trying to sound cocky or anything) and I’m 183 there. Anyways now that 195 I can tell a difference and stuff but yet again I feel small. But I did take pics and theres definaetly a noticeable difference in that 12lb. gain.

Either way I’m stopping to look in the mirror as much now. Only couple times a week. I think I’m also done with trying to be real big and stuff. I think if I just focus on strength the size will come if I want it, and sticking with my fighting. I want no part of bigorexia.

There is a difference between someone who has lost control and loses jobs and all relationships because of working out…and someone who is simply more focused on pushing themselves as far as they can. the latter is a personality type seen in ANYONE who pushes the limits from doctors, and lawyers to politicians and, yes, even bodybuilders.

For some strange reason, there seems to be an attack on that personality type if it focuses in on physical attributes at all. I am a very compulsive person and have been in school and in the gym. I push myself until I get to a higher level. That is just the way I am. For someone to look outside of my life and try to identify this as a disorder that needs to be fixed simply because I also want to get bigger (despite already being big to most people anyway) is a mistake.

You aren’t that big. For high school, I could see you really standing out because you do have the genetics for this. You are the guy we all claimed look at least 10 years older than he really is. I think it would be a mistake for you to base your actions on what you just read. There are many “pop psychologists” who have an itch to diagnose all bodybuilders who push the limits as being insane to some degree. The truth is, for them to be right, any person who pushes the limits in education, politics, or career would also be insane. It is funny how they leave the rest of that out.

If your life involves ONLY lifting weights, you have a problem. if you are losing jobs that are good for you because you want to lift more, you have a problem. If you don’t ever go out or enjoy yourself with other people, you have a problem. If, however, you are the type who is never satisfied with where they are but they still accomplish their other goals in life, you are just obsessed, compulsive or complete OCD…which isn’t always a bad thing.

I want to make more physical progress. I don’t even discuss that with other people because the average person upon hearing that I want to get “bigger” would attempt to label me as having a mental problem, even though my goal is a more complete physique eventually dieted down. I also know I’m not small at all.

Looking in mirrors may make you self centered, but “bigorexic” implies you actually see yourself as skinny and small despite your size. If that isn’t you, you are NOT “bigorexic”.

It called “body dysmorphic disorder” relatively new diagnosis. Check out the synthol thread to see a few cases of it gone REAL bad.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
It called “body dysmorphic disorder” relatively new diagnosis. Check out the synthol thread to see a few cases of it gone REAL bad. [/quote]

Body dysmorphic disorder is different than “bigorexia”. We have had people who log in here who truly think they are fat even though they weigh all of 130lbs and you can see their ribs and pelvic bone. They are “body dysmorphic”. What they see in the mirror isn’t what is really there.

“Bigorexia” is a more specific term applied to those who ALWAYS see themselves as skinny despite being the largest people in the room. Too many people relate this to all bodybuilders who are bigger than average as if it is insanity that would make someone want to not be average.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
There is a difference between someone who has lost control and loses jobs and all relationships because of working out…and someone who is simply more focused on pushing themselves as far as they can. the latter is a personality type seen in ANYONE who pushes the limits from doctors, and lawyers to politicians and, yes, even bodybuilders.

For some strange reason, there seems to be an attack on that personality type if it focuses in on physical attributes at all. I am a very compulsive person and have been in school and in the gym. I push myself until I get to a higher level. That is just the way I am. For someone to look outside of my life and try to identify this as a disorder that needs to be fixed simply because I also want to get bigger (despite already being big to most people anyway) is a mistake.

You aren’t that big. For high school, I could see you really standing out because you do have the genetics for this. You are the guy we all claimed look at least 10 years older than he really is. I think it would be a mistake for you to base your actions on what you just read. There are many “pop psychologists” who have an itch to diagnose all bodybuilders who push the limits as being insane to some degree. The truth is, for them to be right, any person who pushes the limits in education, politics, or career would also be insane. It is funny how they leave the rest of that out.

If your life involves ONLY lifting weights, you have a problem. if you are losing jobs that are good for you because you want to lift more, you have a problem. If you don’t ever go out or enjoy yourself with other people, you have a problem. If, however, you are the type who is never satisfied with where they are but they still accomplish their other goals in life, you are just obsessed, compulsive or complete OCD…which isn’t always a bad thing.

I want to make more physical progress. I don’t even discuss that with other people because the average person upon hearing that I want to get “bigger” would attempt to label me as having a mental problem, even though my goal is a more complete physique eventually dieted down. I also know I’m not small at all.

Looking in mirrors may make you self centered, but “bigorexic” implies you actually see yourself as skinny and small despite your size. If that isn’t you, you are NOT “bigorexic”.[/quote]

I see what you mean Prof. I like this post, you gave good points. I agree with most things, I’m guessing your RIGHT actually and I really am not all that big. I don’t want nyone thinking I was HUGE or anything, cause I know I’m not.

I know I’m built, nothing more then that…but I just still feel myself as being small. I’m thinking it’s just cause I try to push myself so hard and everything and I always see pictures of pro BB’s or really big powerlifters…so if I compare myself to them I’m like…oh:| lol. Either way I’m just gonna keep at it all and keep improving.

The last pic I posted it was real hard to flex properly cause I took that pic myself. I’ll try to get somethin better. But I also have this one, which obviosuly is another failed attempt lol. Prof. I think it’s just a matter of average still and I just really need to get bigger so I don’t feel that way.

[quote]dl- wrote:
I know I’m built, nothing more then that…but I just still feel myself as being small. I’m thinking it’s just cause I try to push myself so hard and everything and I always see pictures of pro BB’s or really big powerlifters…so if I compare myself to them I’m like…oh:| lol. Either way I’m just gonna keep at it all and keep improving.[/quote]

I am the same way. I compare myself to people who are the most developed, not the least. I know full well that I am bigger than a lot of people, however, I also know I am not where I want to be. That isn’t “bigorexia”. “Bigorexia” is walking into the gym and truly thinking you are one of the skinny guys or thinking you are completely out of shape even though you are in better shape than anyone else.

By high school standards, you are probably one the biggest people your classmates have seen. By the standards of people who are more serious weight lifters, it is clear that you have good genetics but you aren’t exactly “HUGE”. You have made some very good progress though and most people wish they had that much development at your age. If you are never hearing that you have made a lot of progress, that could also be contributing.

You have. You look impressive as it is, especially for your age.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
It called “body dysmorphic disorder” relatively new diagnosis. Check out the synthol thread to see a few cases of it gone REAL bad. [/quote]

True. I recall studying this disorder in psych 315, mental disorders. They seemed to keep pointing to Michael Jackson, but I know it is much more encompasing than just him.

I dont think most of us bodybuilder types have this disorder though. And if we do, isnt it beter than the fat people forum or the anorexic people?

[quote]dl- wrote:
The last pic I posted it was real hard to flex properly cause I took that pic myself. I’ll try to get somethin better. But I also have this one, which obviosuly is another failed attempt lol. Prof. I think it’s just a matter of average still and I just really need to get bigger so I don’t feel that way.[/quote]

Looking solid brother. Good job on your physique. I have to be jealous though because the mirror you took the photo in cost more than I make in a week and more than I can afford.

Either way, you did the work, and you look good.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
dl- wrote:
I know I’m built, nothing more then that…but I just still feel myself as being small. I’m thinking it’s just cause I try to push myself so hard and everything and I always see pictures of pro BB’s or really big powerlifters…so if I compare myself to them I’m like…oh:| lol. Either way I’m just gonna keep at it all and keep improving.

I am the same way. I compare myself to people who are the most developed, not the least. I know full well that I am bigger than a lot of people, however, I also know I am not where I want to be. That isn’t “bigorexia”. “Bigorexia” is walking into the gym and truly thinking you are one of the skinny guys or thinking you are completely out of shape even though you are in better shape than anyone else.

By high school standards, you are probably one the biggest people your classmates have seen. By the standards of people who are more serious weight lifters, it is clear that you have good genetics but you aren’t exactly “HUGE”. You have made some very good progress though and most people wish they had that much development at your age. If you are never hearing that you have made a lot of progress, that could also be contributing.

You have. You look impressive as it is, especially for your age.[/quote]

Woo I’m not alone lol. Thanks for the compliments too, but yeah people who know me from gr.9, 120lbs. And now 17, 195lbs. They are like…holy shit n stuff. But this post makes me feel better lol. Thanks Prof. I think I also do maybe a bit too much comparing. But I guess it’s just cause I really wanna be like that when I’m older and stuff, which isn’t a bad thing. Anyways shit’s good!