T Nation

Bigorexia

"I got up in the morning, and the first thing on my mind, was to eat a proper breakfast.

“This is only the beginning of each obsessive day- food is fuel, followed by exercise.”

This came from the discovery channel. Yet another reason that the general public think we’re retarded.

If I’m not eating or training I worry that I am getting smaller by the minute.

Big fuckin’ deal.

It’s better than being a pussy.

This is from the same channel that made it seem like a triumph when a 16 year old kid got somebody to perform his gastric bypass surgery, after being denied by several surgeons.

Great, promote being lazy and getting your way. Then make a guy who is relatively healthy, physically speaking, and make him look like an ass.

“The Man who’s Arms Exploded” on TLC was just as bad.

It was about Valentino and they showed many pictures and clips of him. What they forgot to mention though was THE SYNTHOL!!! They made it look like he got that only from steroids. I couldn’t believe it. The entire show was based on him and they forgot to mention the reason why his arms were so rediculous.

I also remember hearing them say that creatine is steroid that isn’t caught through testing.

Are people really that stupid, the psychologist is stupid, the people that made the programe are stupid and even the bodybuilder is stupid. Then most of the stupid public that watch that will believe it, because its on tv.

How can someone that stupid get in that shape?

When he talks about him seeing his body as not good enough or big enough hes talkin the truth, it isn’t good enough to win a good show.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
“The Man who’s Arms Exploded” on TLC was just as bad.

It was about Valentino and they showed many pictures and clips of him. What they forgot to mention though was THE SYNTHOL!!! They made it look like he got that only from steroids. I couldn’t believe it. The entire show was based on him and they forgot to mention the reason why his arms were so rediculous.

I also remember hearing them say that creatine is steroid that isn’t caught through testing.[/quote]

Yup. I posted about this in another thread yesterday.

Thank you for posting this.

Now please excuse me, I need to go to the loo to throw up my breakfast. I don’t think I’ll be able to eat oats with protein powder ever again. Nobody told me they were like steroids…

[quote]superscience wrote:

How can someone that stupid get in that shape?
[/quote]

Because it requires dedication and consistency, not brains. Do you assume everyone in better shape that you is smarter than you, and everyone in worse shape is dumber? Neither of those statements will be true 100% of the time.

Sooo… the New girlfriend is reading in bed… I’m reading T-Nation… then I click on the video link.

Dude starts out telling about how when he wakes in morning he must drink a shake. The Girlfriend says, “OMG… that’s you”.

Yeah, bad timing on my part.

Headphones, 4est, they’re the shit!

Maybe ‘Ken’ should wax his back, and his monobrow

He’s abig dude, but shit, he ugly!

[quote]4est wrote:
Sooo… the New girlfriend is reading in bed… I’m reading T-Nation… then I click on the video link.

Dude starts out telling about how when he wakes in morning he must drink a shake. The Girlfriend says, “OMG… that’s you”.

Yeah, bad timing on my part.[/quote]

Ha hah a! I can imagine my wife saying the same thing to me :slight_smile:

4est, that’s all of us, mate. So don’t worry, you’re not alone, and we’ve got your back (so long as it’s not as hairy as Ken’s).

Who doesn’t wake up thinking about food and their training for the day? This guy’s problem is that he’s broadcasting the fact that he’s an asshole for portaying this process in a negative light.

I’ve got the same mixer as Ken.

Here’s a serious post from me (for once). Imagine a sprinter, who has a 13s 100m time. This sprinter wants to compete at the international level and he knows he can’t do it by running the 100m in 13s. So he’ll train hard in order to run faster and bring his time down closer to 10s. Would a phsychologist say this athlete suffers from speedarexia?

So how is that different from the bodybuilder that also wants to compete at the international level and knows that he cannot do it weighing 160lbs? He will work hard at gaining muscle until he’s at 200 ripped lbs, and maybe then he’ll be competitive.

I think phsycologists today suffer from diagnostiphilia.

I think TC has stated that there is something a little bit “off” about everyone who lifts weights.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Here’s a serious post from me (for once). Imagine a sprinter, who has a 13s 100m time. This sprinter wants to compete at the international level and he knows he can’t do it by running the 100m in 13s. So he’ll train hard in order to run faster and bring his time down closer to 10s. Would a phsychologist say this athlete suffers from speedarexia?

So how is that different from the bodybuilder that also wants to compete at the international level and knows that he cannot do it weighing 160lbs? He will work hard at gaining muscle until he’s at 200 ripped lbs, and maybe then he’ll be competitive.

I think phsycologists today suffer from diagnostiphilia.[/quote]

Diagnostiphilia seems to be rampant on this board at times also. That and it seems to make smaller men feel better to think that everyone with bigger muscles is crazy and they are the only sane ones.

Just wait for the next stage of that episode. They’re going to do a MTV MADE: I want to be a T-man Bodybuilder. And Ken is going to be the Made Coach.

What the mainstream media thinks bodybuilding is all about is so far off from the truth…

It’s a lifestyle, not a disease.

Dumbass Discovery Health (are these the same people that host the new ‘Work Out’ reality show that TC was going on about?

[quote]Miserere wrote:

I think phsycologists today suffer from diagnostiphilia.[/quote]

There are people who have “exercise addictions” who lose their jobs/families because they compulsively eat/workout fearing they will get smaller/slower etc.

There’s clearly a difference between that kind of behavior and someone who prioritizes their exercise high in their life but remains functional (in the most basic sense) as a person, ie goes to work, has friends/family, can enjoy himself and not be compusively worried.

Pyschologists who do this are just like the doctors and dieticians who talk about the next super diet and cash in on something they know is a total misrepresentation.

“I’m not happy with the way I look, I want to get bigger”

What a pity. People are actually setting goals and constantly raising the bar. And what is wrong with waking up thinking about eating a good breakfast? Society never ceases to amaze me by introducing the paradox that trying to eat healthy is mentally unhealthy; it’s a disease!

This shit is like ADD but worse. It just gives this guy a reason to feel special. Kids who strive to become a level 99 man eating ogre on a video game is acceptable; however, avoiding Twinkies is deviant behavior.