T Nation

Biggest Weight Cutters in MMA

Who do you guys think they are?

Thiago Alves goes from 200lbs to 170lbs
Gleison Tibau goes from 185lbs to 155lbs
Dan Hardy also goes from 200lbs to 170lbs
Paul Daley on a interview told that he cuts from around 205lbs

Holy fuck, i don’t know how these guys don’t get to their fights feeling weak.

185 to 155. From that low of weight you do not have much to cut as far as fat or muscle.

Anthony Johnson/thread

[quote]drewh wrote:
Anthony Johnson/thread[/quote]

This.

Im hoping that start changing weight cutting rules and weigh these guys day of fight and force them to stop cutting so much. Have your weigh ins and then before the fight if you way more than like 15 lbs over the weight limit you get dq’ed. Someone is gonna get killed doing these cuts.

[quote]punchedbear wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:

This.

Im hoping that start changing weight cutting rules and weigh these guys day of fight and force them to stop cutting so much. Have your weigh ins and then before the fight if you way more than like 15 lbs over the weight limit you get dq’ed. Someone is gonna get killed doing these cuts.[/quote]

That’s even worse because fighters will try to cut twice, unless you weigh them as they were entering the octagon.

Anderson Silva supposedly walks around at 220.
Don’t forget Sherk, ~185>155.
Lesnar probably walks around at 300.
IMO, weight cutting shouldn’t be apart of the sport. I don’t particularly enjoy seeing a fighter not fight his best fight simply because he had to shed so much water.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:

This.

Im hoping that start changing weight cutting rules and weigh these guys day of fight and force them to stop cutting so much. Have your weigh ins and then before the fight if you way more than like 15 lbs over the weight limit you get dq’ed. Someone is gonna get killed doing these cuts.[/quote]

That’s even worse because fighters will try to cut twice, unless you weigh them as they were entering the octagon.[/quote]

Well my hope of something like that is guys will move more towards natural weight classes. Nothing worse than a guy coming in drained because the cut was to much. or worse they come in overweight and the fight is a joke. Look at Alves vs Hughes. That fight was terrible. Thiago looked so much bigger than Matt and he steamrolled him.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:

This.

That’s even worse because fighters will try to cut twice, unless you weigh them as they were entering the octagon.[/quote]

Well my hope of something like that is guys will move more towards natural weight classes. Nothing worse than a guy coming in drained because the cut was to much. or worse they come in overweight and the fight is a joke. Look at Alves vs Hughes. That fight was terrible. Thiago looked so much bigger than Matt and he steamrolled him. [/quote]

that didn’t go well for James Irvin, actually i didn’t even KNOW he was going to fight at 185lbs, he just looked like a sour grape on the weight-in, and of course he didn’t last 1 round. That must be the most cursed guy in history

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:
185 to 155. From that low of weight you do not have much to cut as far as fat or muscle.[/quote]

Oh really ? tell that to Sean Sherk or Gleison Tibau, you silly willy.

[quote]drewh wrote:

Everybody is talking about anthony johnson and i have no ideia, how much does he cut for his fights?

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:

Everybody is talking about Anthony Johnson and I have no idea, how much does he cut for his fights?[/quote]

For most of his fights, he cuts from 220, so 50 lbs is pretty excessive. At 104 he didn’t make weight (came in at 176), but he said he’s never missed weight in four years, so I’m not sure if he walks around at 220 all the time or not.

Holy shit, with his height and walking weight he could move to light-heavyweight without any problem

Think about it, same day weigh ins-are not given so fighters can recoup.

If same day weigh ins happened, fighters would still cut the same amount of weight.
Its allot of cash.

If you have ever wrestled, played judo, played bjj, or any kind of boxing/thai boxing
even semi seriously you would see this is all par for the course.
If you have not seen this kind of cutting in person it says something about your training.
every one cuts past a certain level.

you see much bigger cuts for mma or boxing because most fighters are not in ‘fighting shape’
or close to it for most of the year, even if they ‘train’ hard most of the year,
they are not in a fight camp. Most ‘walking around weight’ is pre fight camp.

Cutting is part of the game, and its not going anywhere.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

If same day weigh ins happened, fighters would still cut the same amount of weight.
Its allot of cash.

If you have ever wrestled, played judo, played bjj, or any kind of boxing/thai boxing
If you have not seen this kind of cutting in person it says something about your training.

you see much bigger cuts for mma or boxing because most fighters are not in ‘fighting shape’
or close to it for most of the year, even if they ‘train’ hard most of the year,

[/quote]

This is pretty much spot on. A lot of folks confuse ‘walking weight’, how much weight a fighter loses during training camp, and how much water a fighter cuts immediately before weigh-ins. Yes, some guys do cut a LOT of water, but that’s their choice. Personally I think it’s a little over-rated and people think “If I could just cut a few more pounds I could be champ!” but whatever. It’s part of the sport, some guys like it, some don’t, some cut more than others, but I don’t think it’s the huge advantage a lot of people think it is. If a dude that outweighs you by 10 pounds can manhandle you, he could probably do it anyway.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

Its allot of cash.

[/quote]

Would agree with you apart from on the BJJ side, you weigh in right before you step on the mat in most major tournaments.

One point though is that just because it is common, doesn’t mean it is desireable. If there was a good way to limit the ammount people cut I think it would be good for the sport of MMA (and boxing.) I have seen a few suggestions based around checking people’s hydration levels at weigh ins and having multiple weigh ins in the run up to the fight but none that seem really practical.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

Its allot of cash.

[/quote]

I understand what your saying. And I am aware of the weight cutting process but it just sucks. I wish they would regulate the max weight cuts better. I am just for more natural weight fighting.

Kaiser made a good point about James Irvin. That guy looked sick and zombie like. He was fine at 205 but tries to make a huge cut to 185 and looks dead. That was dangerous for him in two ways. Dehydrating yourself to that point is taxing on the body. Also his energy levels are not good. All that training he did for the fight is hurt big time because his body is trying to restore from the cut. This makes him a sitting duck in the cage.

There are double weigh ins at Charlotte well see how that works out.

[quote]drewh wrote:
There are double weigh ins at Charlotte well see how that works out.[/quote]

Interesting. Will be 24 and 48 hours before the fight?

I say weigh in right before the fight. Not 24 hours, but like half an hour.

Fuck the cutting and the water manipulation and all that shit. Sure its part of the game. But if you weigh in 30 minutes before…sure you can dehydrate and try to come back up but its going to suck, and you might as well fight at the actual weight you are.

If you fight 185 you should actually FIGHT at 185. If you want to be heavier, then cool, fight 205 or whatever.

Its stupid, EVERYONE does it, and all it does is make all the fighters WEAKER, which makes it less entertaining. If only some people did it, huge advantage, but the playing field is pretty even.

Cutting weight is a part of the game. Its a part of every combat sport. I don’t think its fair but everybody has the option to cut weight.

The people that come to mind are Anthony Johnson and Thiago Alves. Johnson cutting 50lb’s is insane.