Biggest Loser? How?

I am watching the Biggest Loser and a contestant lost 20lbs in one week. How do they do that? How are they losing double digits in one week? It cant all be water weight can it? It took me two weeks to lose 5lbs. How can I lose 30 or even 13 lbs in one week?

First, its a contest. There have always been sneaky people. Probably shoved food in down their pieholes and drank a gallon of water right before the weigh-in. Or something to exaggerate their weight.

Then they probably cut down real hard before the weigh-in.

When I wrestled, I could easily (well, not easily) lose 10lbs in a week, and that was at 5-7% BF. Heck, I could take off 5lbs in a day. Just dont eat or drink anything, throw on 5 sweatshirts and 3 sweatpants, put some ice on the thermostat in the training room, grab a jump rope, and go to town for a couple hours. Then, after weigh-ins, take down a gallon of Gatorade, a footlong sub, a box of wheat thins, and some bananas, drink some more water and you were all good.

I remember one time I weighed myself right before we went out to the mats and I had put on an extra 6lbs. Funny.

The tourneys I go to now are great. You can weigh-in a day or two out. Makes recovery much better.

Additionally, these are very, very overweight people, with enough mass to store lots of waterweight. Im sure actually watching what they ate and exercising for a week helped to burn off a decent amount of weight.

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
First, its a contest. There have always been sneaky people. Probably shoved food in down their pieholes and drank a gallon of water right before the weigh-in. Or something to exaggerate their weight.

Then they probably cut down real hard before the weigh-in.

When I wrestled, I could easily (well, not easily) lose 10lbs in a week, and that was at 5-7% BF. Heck, I could take off 5lbs in a day.

Additionally, these are very, very overweight people, with enough mass to store lots of waterweight. Im sure actually watching what they ate and exercising for a week helped to burn off a decent amount of weight.

[/quote]

I hadn’t thought about them boosting their weight before the first weigh in. I am really fat and I didn’t do lose that much. The show makes me think I can do it and makes me feel like I can’t all at the same time!

[quote]Belle Curvy wrote:
I hadn’t thought about them boosting their weight before the first weigh in. I am really fat and I didn’t do lose that much. The show makes me think I can do it and makes me feel like I can’t all at the same time!

[/quote]

Shows like that are both good and bad. Good in that its shows people that they can meet their goals, bad in that it may discourage those who don’t do what some people are able to do.

everyones body is different. For sure, though, its not healthy to lose 20lbs in a week. 3-5 is pushing it, even for heavier people, but that is much healthier.

Just set your goals, and keep going till you hit them, regardless of how long it takes. Dont get discouraged if you exceed your timetables. Just understand that your body is gonna fight you a little bit, but time is on your side. Keep pluggin away!

Belle Curvy wrote:

Shows like that are both good and bad. Good in that its shows people that they can meet their goals, bad in that it may discourage those who don’t do what some people are able to do.

everyones body is different. For sure, though, its not healthy to lose 20lbs in a week. 3-5 is pushing it, even for heavier people, but that is much healthier.

Just set your goals, and keep going till you hit them, regardless of how long it takes. Dont get discouraged if you exceed your timetables. Just understand that your body is gonna fight you a little bit, but time is on your side. Keep pluggin away!
[/quote]

I will keep plugging away. I will just see if I can work a little harder. =)

don’t forget too. for some of those people on that show, the only workout they’ve had in years is the KFC Curl. you get them actually moving around, with proper nutrition, and there initial loss could be pretty spectacular. Also, at 400+ lbs, 20lbs lost isn’t as much as it is for a normal sized person

I just hope no one drops dead on that show.

i looked at your profile, and heres some quick advice:

When a was a personal trainer, I had clients with your body type. I would honestly say that you should give yourself a year to reach your goals (and Im just assuming what they may be, I dont know for sure), which is relatively quick, considering how many years it took to get to where you are at right now. (Which, BTW, is not as bad as you think it is.)

I don’t know what your personal goals are, but remember, its not about weight, its about how you feel about how you look.

I would say go for a weight loss of roughly 6lbs per month for about 6 months, then forget worrying about weight. That’ll knock off 30-40lbs, which would be great. Then concentrate on LOOKING better instead of the scale. Screw the scale.

Watch your nutrition, exercise regularly, and keep a journal. I would even advise you to take a picture of yourself in your skivvies once a month so you have something to compare it to.

Again, most important thing to remember is that its a lifestyle change. Diets don’t work, you have to be 100% committed, even when you have a bad month. Your body isn’t gonna be thrilled right away with the change, and is gonna put up a fight, but will thank you later.

Remember everyday that you exercise and watch your nutrition is a day you can go to bed happy knowing you did something to get to your goals.

i looked at your profile, and heres some quick advice:

When a was a personal trainer, I had clients with your body type. I would honestly say that you should give yourself a year to reach your goals (and Im just assuming what they may be, I dont know for sure), which is relatively quick, considering how many years it took to get to where you are at right now. (Which, BTW, is not as bad as you think it is.)

I don’t know what your personal goals are, but remember, its not about weight, its about how you feel about how you look.

I would say go for a weight loss of roughly 6lbs per month for about 6 months, then forget worrying about weight. That’ll knock off 30-40lbs, which would be great. Then concentrate on LOOKING better instead of the scale. Screw the scale.

Watch your nutrition, exercise regularly, and keep a journal. I would even advise you to take a picture of yourself in your skivvies once a month so you have something to compare it to.

Again, most important thing to remember is that its a lifestyle change. Diets don’t work, you have to be 100% committed, even when you have a bad month. Your body isn’t gonna be thrilled right away with the change, and is gonna put up a fight, but will thank you later.

Remember everyday that you exercise and watch your nutrition is a day you can go to bed happy knowing you did something to get to your goals.
[/quote]

I know this site is really for more serious athletes and competitors and all that, but I really have got the best advice ever on this site.

Thanks for the tips. I will try and stay patient and remember what you said about how long it took to get like this.

I also like how you say to take it and be proud of the accomplishment each day. I can do one day and then another, it is just looking at weeks and months and maybe years looming ahead.

Also one thing to consider is that the contestants might drop weight very quickly (yes it’s a TV show) but they will all no doubt need surgery for loose skin. No amount of exercise will ever get rid of it and they will never be able to build up enough lean mass in the upper body to tighten it up, this problem being far worse for females.

Lose weight as quick as they do and you will end up with enough loose skin to recover a sofa. Slow progress is always going to be best in this department.

I wouldn’t let a TV show change the way I do things, for one.

And two, your lifting weights right? The scale is not the only thing you should go by. When is the last time you lost 5lbs in 2 weeks? Be happy at your accomplishments, not dissapointed and this will give you motivation everyday when you see a change, no matter how small.

Also, great advice grappler.

When you weigh 450 pounds, 30 lbs comes off real fast.

You also have to think they have ppl telling what to eat, what to do and pushing them to do it every day. Plus they have their suport group there with the other contestants to help them along.

http://company-catalog.info/Keywords/newyork/Default.html

It’s probably mostly water weight.

Anyway, I caught a few minutes of it last night, and the show is becoming a vehicle for product placements. I think two of them were on the treadmill and had “forgot” to bring their water, so that Jillian chick directed them to go fill up their water bottles at the sink using “The all new BRITA WATER PTICHER!”

“I like the BRITA WATER PITCHER because it keep the water cold and clean!”

“Remember, use the BRITA WATER PITCHER for cold, clean water!”

You are forgetting, as a percentage, 20lbs is not as much when you weigh 300 lbs

I often used to lose 10 kg in 2 weeks just from going on holiday, and I wasn’t fat, but that is less than 10% and can be mostly food in stomach, fluid and carb stores in muscles - that’s what happens when you stop eating and walk all day.

Biggest loser is a pretty impressive show that proves there is no excuse for fatties.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
You also have to think they have ppl telling what to eat, what to do and pushing them to do it every day. Plus they have their suport group there with the other contestants to help them along.
[/quote]

And, they are working out and eating right as a full time job!

Only in America could you have a competition where the object is to not be a lumbering pile of blubber. They get rewarded for something they should be doing anyways!

I have a couple concepts for new competitions, including raising your kids, working nine to five, and remembering to breathe.

i remember reading an interview with Ali, last season’s winner. I think she said they work out 4 to 6 hours a day 6 days a week while on the ranch. I also remember Bob the trainer saying what they do on the ranch is not recommended for most people at home. Plus, being on TV in front of millions is big motivator.

keep up the work and you will get there.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Himora22 wrote:

And, they are working out and eating right as a full time job![/quote]

Exactly people fail so see this and think its incredible. It is impressive, YES, but, this is their full time job for the next 3 months or whatever. All they have to worry about is eating right and working out, both of which they are hand held through. You also have to consider what YOU would do for $250,000. It’s a win win, you lose weight, look better, improve your health and you can win a nice chunk of cash. Just knowing that $250k is out their if you lose the most weight is motivation enough.