Biggest Loser Families

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Renton wrote:
I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrot-cake too”.

Fixed it for you =p

Like the rest of you I’m disgusted that a 4 year old weighs 63 pounds and it isn’t due to being freakishly tall. I believe that I weighed exactly 59 lbs from 3rd to the end of 5th grade. I was always doing soccer, karate and playing tag with my neighbors. Then I hit a growth spurt in 6th grade but stayed skinny(bordering on scrawny). I friggin love video games but they weren’t going to keep me inside all day especially during the summer that’s for sure.

I think it would help if we had all of our kids in intramural sports programs. Now while I hate to celebrate and give trophies to anything but the top players I do think that encouragement for improving could be a good motivator. “Hey Billy you went from a 1 in 10 free throw shot to 5 out of 10. That’s a good job for this year think how good you’ll be next year.”[/quote]

I like how you would do honest praise rather then ego stroking. It makes a kid work to achieve.

It also shows how schools really need more funding. Sorry this is off topic, but I played all kinds of things in elementary all the way through high school. Now they are cutting all kinds of recreation programs and not every parent can afford to get their kids into a program at $500 a pop!

whatever it takes, it needs to get done. When I was a kid we used to play Tag on our bikes. Or get all the hoses and screw them together and use that as the Dodgeball ring. And how fun was Freeze Tag and BlindMan’s Bluff? Makes me want to play those again. Actually, they would probably be even more fun now.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Renton wrote:
I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrot-cake too”.

Fixed it for you =p

Like the rest of you I’m disgusted that a 4 year old weighs 63 pounds and it isn’t due to being freakishly tall. I believe that I weighed exactly 59 lbs from 3rd to the end of 5th grade. I was always doing soccer, karate and playing tag with my neighbors. Then I hit a growth spurt in 6th grade but stayed skinny(bordering on scrawny). I friggin love video games but they weren’t going to keep me inside all day especially during the summer that’s for sure.

I think it would help if we had all of our kids in intramural sports programs. Now while I hate to celebrate and give trophies to anything but the top players I do think that encouragement for improving could be a good motivator. “Hey Billy you went from a 1 in 10 free throw shot to 5 out of 10. That’s a good job for this year think how good you’ll be next year.”

I like how you would do honest praise rather then ego stroking. It makes a kid work to achieve.

It also shows how schools really need more funding. Sorry this is off topic, but I played all kinds of things in elementary all the way through high school. Now they are cutting all kinds of recreation programs and not every parent can afford to get their kids into a program at $500 a pop!

whatever it takes, it needs to get done. When I was a kid we used to play Tag on our bikes. Or get all the hoses and screw them together and use that as the Dodgeball ring. And how fun was Freeze Tag and BlindMan’s Bluff? Makes me want to play those again. Actually, they would probably be even more fun now.
[/quote]

I loved playing bike tag! I think I ate pavement more times playing bike tag than anything else.

I’d like to play “red rover” now.

I could totally break through the chain!

See kids have all the fun and they don’t even know it! I say we play some of these games at the seminar. Red Rover would really become a blood sport. I don’t know if we could do Bike Tag, but Freeze Tag would be doable, and of course Spin the Bottle.

It just dawned on me that none of those games require money. I wonder why more kids aren’t playing them. I suppose it may just be more dangerous out on the streets or at the parks. But was it? Or does it just make the news now?

I do know I didn’t eat fast food or drink soda every day or even every week.

The one couple has a 4yr old little girl that is 63lbs! holey moley

and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day

and yes… my gym was crowded today

[/quote]

I saw that! I felt so sorry for her. She weighed more than her older brother!

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I watched the last one and kind of got into it. I don’t typically watch reality tv but I found it oddly compelling. When the one guy ended up getting pretty thin and he kept trying to lose lbs, I was shouting at the t.v. that it was time to start gaining, muscle. Loser.[/quote]

Same here. I usually hate reality TV, but I do find this one interesting.

There have been some incredible transformations.

See kids have all the fun and they don’t even know it! I say we play some of these games at the seminar. Red Rover would really become a blood sport. I don’t know if we could do Bike Tag, but Freeze Tag would be doable, and of course Spin the Bottle.

It just dawned on me that none of those games require money. I wonder why more kids aren’t playing them. I suppose it may just be more dangerous out on the streets or at the parks. But was it? Or does it just make the news now?

[/quote]

My vote is for blind man’s bluff or hide and seek in the dark. I loved those games and could completely get into them still.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

My vote is for blind man’s bluff or hide and seek in the dark. I loved those games and could completely get into them still.[/quote]

We’ll have to make sure we get Jeh-Fit to include those on the seminar schedule, or at least have an area big enough where we can organize it ourselves!

I think the premise of this show is admirable, but I do not think it is a realistic representation of healthy weight loss.

Here you have 2 trainers that are taking people with morbid obesity and training them to a point that would burn out a trained individual. I understand the mental game they are playing, teaching them how they can do it. I am shocked some of them don’t have heart attacks right then and there.

Things people will do for a $250K .

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
I loved playing bike tag! I think I ate pavement more times playing bike tag than anything else. [/quote]

Ahhh the memories of bike tag!

We used to play bike hide & seek too, over the entire area I lived so several square miles.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Squiggles wrote:
I loved playing bike tag! I think I ate pavement more times playing bike tag than anything else.

We used to play bike hide & seek too, over the entire area I lived so several square miles.[/quote]

Well I think this seals it. Jeh-Fit is going to have to include some of these games, Tag, Hide and Seek and Spin the Bottle, at the seminar

My wife’s stylist (person that cuts her hair) represented Kentucky when they did all 50 states a couple years ago. He lost an amazing amount of weight and has kept most of it off. He probably gained 10 or 15 pounds back since then, but that seems normal considering how much weight he lost in such a short amount of time.

The good news is that it did change his lifestyle for the better. He exercises and makes healthy food choices. He will never be confused for an athlete, but he is considerably healthier and happier than he was before the show.

A7979 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

The one couple has a 4yr old little girl that is 63lbs! holey moley

and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day

and yes… my gym was crowded today

That is becoming the norm, not the exception. Which is sad, if you really think about it. I have seen one year-old kids weighing 40 pounds. The parents put no restrictions, heck they can’t even put restrictions on themselves.

it is sooooo sad!

I know it isn’t just ONE thing, but I’ve been at Starbucks and seen parents buying their kids the HUGE frappocino drinks with all the syrups and whipped cream. Or you see kids downing liters or Big Gulps. So many liquid calories

[/quote]

That is just the tip of the iceberg in what you see at Starbucks. So many empty calories with no nutritional factor at all.

[quote]Stuyou wrote:
My wife’s stylist (person that cuts her hair) represented Kentucky when they did all 50 states a couple years ago. He lost an amazing amount of weight and has kept most of it off. He probably gained 10 or 15 pounds back since then, but that seems normal considering how much weight he lost in such a short amount of time.

The good news is that it did change his lifestyle for the better. He exercises and makes healthy food choices. He will never be confused for an athlete, but he is considerably healthier and happier than he was before the show.

[/quote]

That is fantastic! Well good, I am glad I was wrong!

[quote]Renton wrote:
A7979 wrote:
That is becoming the norm, not the exception. Which is sad, if you really think about it. I have seen one year-old kids weighing 40 pounds. The parents put no restrictions, heck they can’t even put restrictions on themselves.

I think this is pretty much the root of the problem.

It’s easy to directly blame fast food companies and supermarkets for stocking shit food (at least more shit food than quality food). It’s also easy to blame living conditions and XBox’s for the kids doing nothing.

In defense of supermarkets though, they are businesses and stock what sells. If people stopped buying crap they’d stop selling it.

But kids learn from their parents - set some rules down and stick to them yourself and your kids will follow to a large degree.

My two eldest girls (14 & 6) both work out in one way or another and although they enjoy fast food on occasion it’s exactly that - on occasion.

My 3 year old is following on in the same fashion. I took her to the shops a few days ago and saw a ‘friend’ with her kids there. Little fat creatures that were complaining at the walk from their car to the candy isle. Just like their mother.

My daughter and I had walked the mile to the shop.

I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrots too”.

Nuff said.[/quote]

You�??re right in that it�??s easy to blame fast food and stores. However, the choice to buy unhealthy food is ultimately our decision. Kids true role models are their parents, whether they believe it or not. So if the parents have bad habits, the kids will develop those same bad habits as well and vice versa.

Renton great job on teaching your children how to eat healthy, exercise, and understanding that having that candy bar is a privilege, not a right. Everything in moderation (food wise), sounds simple but it�??s not that easy for some people.

[quote]A7979 wrote:
Renton wrote:
A7979 wrote:

It’s easy to directly blame fast food companies and supermarkets for stocking shit food (at least more shit food than quality food). It’s also easy to blame living conditions and XBox’s for the kids doing nothing.

In defense of supermarkets though, they are businesses and stock what sells. If people stopped buying crap they’d stop selling it.

But kids learn from their parents - set some rules down and stick to them yourself and your kids will follow to a large degree.

My two eldest girls (14 & 6) both work out in one way or another and although they enjoy fast food on occasion it’s exactly that - on occasion.

My 3 year old is following on in the same fashion. I took her to the shops a few days ago and saw a ‘friend’ with her kids there. Little fat creatures that were complaining at the walk from their car to the candy isle. Just like their mother.

I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrots too”.

Nuff said.

You�??re right in that it�??s easy to blame fast food and stores. However, the choice to buy unhealthy food is ultimately our decision. Kids true role models are their parents, whether they believe it or not. So if the parents have bad habits, the kids will develop those same bad habits as well and vice versa.

Renton great job on teaching your children how to eat healthy, exercise, and understanding that having that candy bar is a privilege, not a right. Everything in moderation (food wise), sounds simple but it�??s not that easy for some people.
[/quote]

It is easy to blame fast food, good point. I also agree with you that parents really do have a duty to not buy junk and teach their kids how best to eat but not be afraid to have a little bit of this or that. I think when kids sneak food you are creating another problem.

whatever it is, so many problems, you sure see how hard it is to fix the results

“weight” loss is pretty easy, just restrict your calories severely and exhaust yourself for extended periods with exercise

fat loss on the other hand is much trickier

sure i could go on 800 kcal a day and drop from 215 to 140 but say goodbye to all my gains too

A7979 wrote:
Renton wrote:
A7979 wrote:

Nuff said.

It is easy to blame fast food, good point. I also agree with you that parents really do have a duty to not buy junk and teach their kids how best to eat but not be afraid to have a little bit of this or that. I think when kids sneak food you are creating another problem.

whatever it is, so many problems, you sure see how hard it is to fix the results

[/quote]

Very hard.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
“weight” loss is pretty easy, just restrict your calories severely and exhaust yourself for extended periods with exercise

fat loss on the other hand is much trickier

sure i could go on 800 kcal a day and drop from 215 to 140 but say goodbye to all my gains too[/quote]

I think the folks on the show are just concerned with getting any weight off. They don’t really build muscle on the show.

As it is they got rid of Kim Lyons who was a female BBer or figure athlete.

Renton wrote:
Squiggles wrote:

We used to play bike hide & seek too, over the entire area I lived so several square miles.

Well I think this seals it. Jeh-Fit is going to have to include some of these games, Tag, Hide and Seek and Spin the Bottle, at the seminar

[/quote]

The official game of Test Fest 2 is flag football. Under 35 vs over 35, loser buys beer.