T Nation

Biggest Loser Families

The one couple has a 4yr old little girl that is 63lbs! holey moley

and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day

and yes… my gym was crowded today

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
…and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day…

[/quote]
Of eating or exercise?

WolBarret with the assist!

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
…and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day…

Of eating or exercise?
[/quote]

Living.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Of eating or exercise?
[/quote]

exercise and he’s only 56 or 57 and he’s a cop!

and yet they show these folks dropping 16 and 20lbs a week.

aren’t they on like 800cals a day and 6hours of gym time?

I wonder how many of them have kept it all off. I really hope some of them made the change and have kept most if not all of the weight off

and one guys health is so bad he’s been restricted to no more than 30-minutes a day

[/quote]

That is becoming the norm, not the exception. Which is sad, if you really think about it. I have seen one year-old kids weighing 40 pounds. The parents put no restrictions, heck they can’t even put restrictions on themselves.

[quote]A7979 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

That is becoming the norm, not the exception. Which is sad, if you really think about it. I have seen one year-old kids weighing 40 pounds. The parents put no restrictions, heck they can’t even put restrictions on themselves. [/quote]

it is sooooo sad!

I know it isn’t just ONE thing, but I’ve been at Starbucks and seen parents buying their kids the HUGE frappocino drinks with all the syrups and whipped cream. Or you see kids downing liters or Big Gulps. So many liquid calories

That cop should be fired. What good is he? Heaven forbid he ever has to go on a foot chase. He’d croak from a heart attack.

I would bet most of those people return to normal life and resume their old ways once the show is over. They’re only losing weight because they’re forced to.

People in general are just too lazy. Go shopping and you’ll see it. All the people sitting in their cars for half an hour trying to get a parking space at the front door. They act like the opposite end of the parking lot is a 3 mile hike. Ugh…

[quote]A7979 wrote:
That is becoming the norm, not the exception. Which is sad, if you really think about it. I have seen one year-old kids weighing 40 pounds. The parents put no restrictions, heck they can’t even put restrictions on themselves. [/quote]

I think this is pretty much the root of the problem.

It’s easy to directly blame fast food companies and supermarkets for stocking shit food (at least more shit food than quality food). It’s also easy to blame living conditions and XBox’s for the kids doing nothing.

In defense of supermarkets though, they are businesses and stock what sells. If people stopped buying crap they’d stop selling it.

But kids learn from their parents - set some rules down and stick to them yourself and your kids will follow to a large degree.

My two eldest girls (14 & 6) both work out in one way or another and although they enjoy fast food on occasion it’s exactly that - on occasion.

My 3 year old is following on in the same fashion. I took her to the shops a few days ago and saw a ‘friend’ with her kids there. Little fat creatures that were complaining at the walk from their car to the candy isle. Just like their mother.

My daughter and I had walked the mile to the shop.

I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrots too”.

Nuff said.

[quote]Renton wrote:
I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrots too”.

Nuff said.[/quote]

Didn’t realise you had 3 little sprongs, but that made me smile. Could be because I’m sitting here eating a carrot while my boss across the desk tucks into a mars bar.

I used to work in an Iceland supermarket (for you Americans, it’s basically budget frozen food), and the amount of shit food that people will eat for the sake of convenience is scary.

[/quote]

When did this one start?

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to talk about my family. How mean.

I’d totally forgotten about the show.

I watched the last one and kind of got into it. I don’t typically watch reality tv but I found it oddly compelling. When the one guy ended up getting pretty thin and he kept trying to lose lbs, I was shouting at the t.v. that it was time to start gaining, muscle. Loser.

I’m glad the show is on. It does more then just show fat people getting skinny (ish)

My parents last “season” started watching it and used it as motivation to loose weight/get in better shape.

My father has lost about 40lbs so far. That show and my sister about to pop out a baby and make him a grandfather were his motivation.

Now that he’s down to a decent weight; I gotta get him lifting.

63lb 4yr old is disgusting. ugh.

to all you non-US residents:I appoligize for my american socitey…i’m trying to change it. I’m leading by example.

yeah, I actually got a kick out of this one (300 poundish) guy at Subway earlier today stalking up on a footlong meatball su all the while proudly exclaiming to his friend he had joined Overeaters annonymous as if his friend hadn’t actually noticed he was a tad overweight
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh fat people

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

When did this one start?

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to talk about my family. How mean.

I’d totally forgotten about the show.

I watched the last one and kind of got into it. I don’t typically watch reality tv but I found it oddly compelling. When the one guy ended up getting pretty thin and he kept trying to lose lbs, I was shouting at the t.v. that it was time to start gaining, muscle. Loser.[/quote]

It started last night. And they showed the folks heaving into buckets during their workout.

I saw the one with the guy getting skinny and I think he did go on to gain muscle, I think he was losing the lbs to win the money.

Can you imagine losing 9lbs in a week and still feeling bad that you didn’t lose enough?

B rock it is motivating for some folks, I even find it a bit motivating when I see those folks doing the squats and lunges to the point the hurl. And like I mentioned, my gym was crowded again.

lol, I didn’t get the name of the show to begin with and thought it was terrible to be calling kids “big losers”.

Now I think it’s an OK idea though. I’m convinced that the main barrier to weight loss is a mental one - too many people think it’s way too hard. Kate Harding for example - her blog is based around the idea that losing fat just isn’t feasible. I think that anything that contradicts this view is a good thing. On one hand, this show accomplishes that by showing regular people losing a large amount of weight, showing it IS possible. On the other hand, the people on the show work HARD, much more than is probably feasible for a normal person with a job and no personal trainer - fat people might think that it takes all of that when in fact you don’t have to almost kill yourself to lose poundage and it can be accomplished (although slower) by making a few trips to the gym a week and watching what you eat.

I would bet that a lot of these people keep it up and remain in shape. Being fat is NOT like being on heroin, where you go into rehab and then immediately resume your food addiction once you’re out of supervision. Once people know that they CAN be in control of their weight and they know how to do it, they’re more likely to put in the work.

It’s also a lot less work to stay at a certain weight compared to losing 80lbs or so. They’re also now used to being in the gym, something they were probably intimidated by before. They probably know how to eat healthy too. Bottom line is there are a lot less obstacles for them to be in shape.

Uncle Gabby wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Of eating or exercise?

I wonder how many of them have kept it all off. I really hope some of them made the change and have kept most if not all of the weight off

[/quote]

Well, the 1-2 lbs a week fat loss rule is pretty much bullshit. A better estimate of a safe rate of fat loss without compromising muscle is by percentage of bodyfat. And these people have A LOT of bodyfat to lose. The numbers aren’t so unrealistic. A lot in that first week is water and glycogen too. They’ve done some follow-ups and a lot of the contestants do seem to keep the weight or at least the majority of it off.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
lol, I didn’t get the name of the show to begin with and thought it was terrible to be calling kids “big losers”.

Now I think it’s an OK idea though. I’m convinced that the main barrier to weight loss is a mental one - too many people think it’s way too hard. Kate Harding for example - her blog is based around the idea that losing fat just isn’t feasible. I think that anything that contradicts this view is a good thing. On one hand, this show accomplishes that by showing regular people losing a large amount of weight, showing it IS possible. On the other hand, the people on the show work HARD, much more than is probably feasible for a normal person with a job and no personal trainer - fat people might think that it takes all of that when in fact you don’t have to almost kill yourself to lose poundage and it can be accomplished (although slower) by making a few trips to the gym a week and watching what you eat.

I would bet that a lot of these people keep it up and remain in shape. Being fat is NOT like being on heroin, where you go into rehab and then immediately resume your food addiction once you’re out of supervision. Once people know that they CAN be in control of their weight and they know how to do it, they’re more likely to put in the work. It’s also a lot less work to stay at a certain weight compared to losing 80lbs or so. They’re also now used to being in the gym, something they were probably intimidated by before. They probably know how to eat healthy too. Bottom line is there are a lot less obstacles for them to be in shape. [/quote]

I get what you are saying about how you see that they might not put on the weight, but unlike a heroin addict that once clean NEVER has to have heroin again, a food addict has to eat. He has to tempt himself each time. Now I don’t know if those folks are food addicts though.

But I have heard of people who went through those gastric bypass operations putting back almost all the weight. The stomach stretches or they eat all day long and drink all their calories.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
WolBarret with the assist![/quote]

Ali Vincent rocks. I wonder how she’s doing now.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Of eating or exercise?

Well, the 1-2 lbs a week fat loss rule is pretty much bullshit. A better estimate of a safe rate of fat loss without compromising muscle is by percentage of bodyfat. And these people have A LOT of bodyfat to lose. The numbers aren’t so unrealistic. A lot in that first week is water and glycogen too. They’ve done some follow-ups and a lot of the contestants do seem to keep the weight or at least the majority of it off.[/quote]

Really??? I was completely sold on the 1 to 2 lbs! I did wonder with those being heavier folks that maybe a lot of it was water weight.

and good to know about the follow ups

[quote]Renton wrote:
I asked her if she wanted some chocolate - she replied, “Yes please daddy as long as I can have some carrot-cake too”.

[/quote]

Fixed it for you =p

Like the rest of you I’m disgusted that a 4 year old weighs 63 pounds and it isn’t due to being freakishly tall. I believe that I weighed exactly 59 lbs from 3rd to the end of 5th grade. I was always doing soccer, karate and playing tag with my neighbors. Then I hit a growth spurt in 6th grade but stayed skinny(bordering on scrawny). I friggin love video games but they weren’t going to keep me inside all day especially during the summer that’s for sure.

I think it would help if we had all of our kids in intramural sports programs. Now while I hate to celebrate and give trophies to anything but the top players I do think that encouragement for improving could be a good motivator. “Hey Billy you went from a 1 in 10 free throw shot to 5 out of 10. That’s a good job for this year think how good you’ll be next year.”