Biggest Influence on Your Current Training?

Probably Christian Thibaudeau. I bought a few of his books a few years ago such as Black Book Of Training Secrets and Theory And Application Of Modern Strength and Power Methods. These books go into detail about the science of it all. I’m always fascinated with the why’s and how’s of things and I guess Christian is too.

Nick Mitchell. I’m very much interested in Accumulation and Intensification phases in training and that is something Nick is big on as well so I would say he is another one who has influenced my current way of thinking.

Other influences are Dave Tate, Eric Cressey, Charles Poliquin and plenty of others.

Mark Rippetoe, Dave Tate, Jim Wendler.

Rippetoe taught me the value of compound movements and simple, no nonsense programming.

Tate provided insight on lifting techniques, and a general attitude that helps keep me focused.

Wendler taught me that there’s more to lifting than maximum numbers. He’s the one that’s helped me find a balance between powerlifting and real life.

More recently, CT Fletcher. I just saw one of his videos for the first time two days ago but I can honestly say I think they’ve had an effect on how I approach training. When I first started lifting years ago everything was all about strict form. I shed some of that when I started strength training but when some of it still lingered when it came to accessory lifts. CT Fletcher has pretty much smashed that for me.

[quote]some_dude wrote:
Mark Rippetoe, Dave Tate, Jim Wendler.

Rippetoe taught me the value of compound movements and simple, no nonsense programming.

Tate provided insight on lifting techniques, and a general attitude that helps keep me focused.

Wendler taught me that there’s more to lifting than maximum numbers. He’s the one that’s helped me find a balance between powerlifting and real life.

More recently, CT Fletcher. I just saw one of his videos for the first time two days ago but I can honestly say I think they’ve had an effect on how I approach training. When I first started lifting years ago everything was all about strict form. I shed some of that when I started strength training but when some of it still lingered when it came to accessory lifts. CT Fletcher has pretty much smashed that for me.[/quote]

good question. I have so many lifting books it’s ridiculous…

Cressey and Robertson
CT
Wendler
Ross Enamait
Chad Waterbury
Medvedyev, Glenn Pendlay

edit: looks like I should check out this CT Fletcher guy

Issurin

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Issurin[/quote]
basically any Russian coach is essential reading material, lol.

Ben Bruno=the man talks the talk and walks the walk

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CT as far as getting me to start training in more a cycle in the gym…but truthfully…Lee Haney and old vids and those older big dudes in the gym.

They laid the base for how I train and most importantly the heart I needed to have to reach my goals that were so far off.[/quote]

What kind of stuff have you dug up for Haney?

Info on him seems far more elusive than the likes of Branch obv

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

CT as far as getting me to start training in more a cycle in the gym…but truthfully…Lee Haney and old vids and those older big dudes in the gym.

They laid the base for how I train and most importantly the heart I needed to have to reach my goals that were so far off.[/quote]

Info on him seems far more elusive than the likes of Branch obv[/quote]

Personally one thing that Haney said that stuck with me was that when you do DB rows, do not row in a straight line, start the row beneath your head and row toward your hip.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Personally one thing that Haney said that stuck with me was that when you do DB rows, do not row in a straight line, start the row beneath your head and row toward your hip.[/quote]
Makes sense… when I envision this I assume the forearm is kept perpendicular to the floor as you row upwards, much like the bench press.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Personally one thing that Haney said that stuck with me was that when you do DB rows, do not row in a straight line, start the row beneath your head and row toward your hip.[/quote]

Two things (amongst others) that you (CT) have typed or said (I forget, but I know it was you):

• “Shoulders make the man”
  • Lateral delt raises-- out vs up

There are many, but if i had to choose one it would definitely be Charles Poliquin

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Thank you :slight_smile:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Haney also said-Stimulate,dont annihilate! Wise! :slight_smile:

So many great coaches over the years.

Right now though, CT and Charlie Francis fill the bulk of my training.

(Ha, realizing I should consider moving to Canada.)

Waterbury - agonist/antagonist supersetting, GTG, pullup obsession
Robertson, Cressey, DeFranco - daily feet elevated pushups/band pullaparts for scap/rc health
Sommers - gymnastic progressions
Dan John - push, pull, hinge, squat, loaded carries, groundwork
Coach Thibs - HFS, order of “feast” consumption (meat → veg → fruit → carbs), slight decline benching, press compulsion ('cause shoulders make the physique)
Ori Hofmekler - IF
Rippetoe, O’Hearn - begining every workout with strength work
Wendler - high volume assistance work
Dr. Roussell - bulk creatine monohydrate, beta alanine, citrulline malate, and acetyl carnitine
John Meadows - rear delt swings
Ben Bruno - hip hinging (the pissing with a morning glory cue is solid gold), hand walkouts
Dr. Hyght - rekindled my interest in building symmetry

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

He also led me to the Holy Grail of the T-bar row.

Chad Waterybury=Anti-Hypertrophy Body Building Training

Tony Little
Richard Simmons

Martin Berkham and JM on nutrition
Mischa Janiec on training

(Huh, who the hell is that???) Some European dude on youtube. I dont like body part splits and his PULL, PUSH, LEG routine at higher frequency has been pretty badass for me lately.

CT is a bit to complex for me to follow without direct instruction.