Biggest Influence on Your Current Training?

Many over the past, but currently John Meadows and CT Fletcher for me.

As far as workout split, exercise selection and volume approach I have been doing a Mountain Dog template and split for a few months now and seen a dramatic difference.

CT Fletcher’s videos have litterally gotten me off of stims pre workout. Gives me the kick in the pants I need to break past my percieved limitations. I swear I have his voice in my head now when I lift.

Who right now is having the biggest influence and impact on your current training/physique?

CT as far as getting me to start training in more a cycle in the gym…but truthfully…Lee Haney and old vids and those older big dudes in the gym.

They laid the base for how I train and most importantly the heart I needed to have to reach my goals that were so far off.

Joe Defranco for sure. CT as well especially the ramp/cluster/hyp work he’s doing.

Dorian Yates’, Branch Warren’s, and Matt Kroc’s videos.

More recently CT Fletcher’s videos, muth-a-fuck-ahs.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

More recently CT Fletcher’s videos, muth-a-fuck-ahs.[/quote]

I have to admit, Branch is the only other guy I will watch train aside from Ronnie and Johnny Jackson. Well, I like Vic Martinez also and watch his vids before the gym some days. Those guys are more interesting to watch.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

More recently CT Fletcher’s videos, muth-a-fuck-ahs.[/quote]

Dan John has had the biggest influence on my attitude.

CT on my training.

And Shugart on my diet.

Jim Wendler, Paul Carter and Danny John…no nonsense, quality programming.

Vasily Alexeyev

Daley Thomson- decathlete

Brian Jacks-Superstars champion

Geoff Capes-wsm

Steve Reeves

Currently, I’m directly applying some of John Meadows philosophy. I’m sure there are others that I picked up little things here and there, but JM is the only one to come to mind at the moment.

Jamie Lewis, CT Fletcher more recently, Brandon Lilly and Konstantin Konstantinovas.

Jamie Lewis especially, even though I don’t do his style of training, his whole don’t be a pussy, get the weight up and you can always do more as long as you sleep and eat enough really influenced me alot.

Vince Gironda, Dan John and Tom Hardy (seriously)

Doug Hepburn after I read about him. John Meadows too!

Dante and CT. Not that I follow DC or any of CT’s routines to the T, but I find myself applying their principles to my training more often than not.

CT and Meadows. Those guys are full of useful information.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
Vince Gironda, Dan John and Tom Hardy (seriously)[/quote]

Please explain the Tom Hardy one. Outside of Warrior, where really they did a great job with angles and lighting to make him look more than he was, never been impressed by him physically. Great actor, but i dont get all the man love for his physique.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:

Please explain the Tom Hardy one. Outside of Warrior, where really they did a great job with angles and lighting to make him look more than he was, never been impressed by him physically. Great actor, but i dont get all the man love for his physique. [/quote]

I just feel like if Hardy posted a picture here asking us to rate his physique and he wasnt famous people would call him a troll and tell him to do squats and milk.

First, I’m honored to be mentioned by some people, I do try to do my best to help others out.

As far as myself, my greatest influences have been mostly “old-school” lifters. Doug Hepburn was mentioned, and I do agree about that. In fact his way of training is the base of my layer system… he used to only do one main lift for a group of muscles, do a lot of sets of 3, then lower the weight and do 3-5 sets of 5 reps, then lower the weight and do one set of 1. This is the same pattern as my layer system, but with different methods.

I also take a lot from how the chinese olympic lifters train… they are the only olympic lifters who are jacked pretty much across the board, they use a lot of high pulls and overhead support work, which I love.

I also have a lot of respect for Dan John. We share many of the same ideas even though we apply them differently, I like the way he thinks.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:

Please explain the Tom Hardy one. Outside of Warrior, where really they did a great job with angles and lighting to make him look more than he was, never been impressed by him physically. Great actor, but i dont get all the man love for his physique. [/quote]

I just admire his ability to change his physique. I’ve been working a long time but I’ve never really had any traps. The way he went from skinny tweep to a guy with huge traps inspires me to no end. It’s not what he looks like mecessarily it’s how quickly he changed his look that impresses me the most. I’ve got a renewed sense of focus on bringing my traps up to par.

I grew up reading 2 books Bill star,(Strong will survive) and Sturart Mc Roberts,(Beyond Brawn) and I base most of my training on that. Recently(last 6-8yrs) on T nation influanced by Dan John, and Jim Wendler, because I work with athletes, and thier advice works with my training. CT and Medows on the other hand have opened my mind and taught this old dog some new tricks, I can sneak in here and there. 2cents