Biggest Guy in Class: How to Rebuild a Monolith

You no longer need to deload every 4th week unless you’re feeling really beat up. Jim has most folks train 2 cycles in a row before deloading (or, these days, using the 7th week protocol from Forever, which is just a bunch of different approaches to a deload).

You have the correct interpretation of the FSL sets and the PR sets. Same with the assistance work.

The specific schedule of the lifts isn’t too important. I tend to run all 4 days together just due to my life’s demands. But how you have it laid out will work.

1 Like

Brilliant. So run 3 week cycle, increase training max, run another 3 week cycle, deload, and then increase TM again and start over.

I’ll do a proper write up and do all the calculations later today in preparation for starting next week. Thanks again for all your help!

I can’t reply to whether or not this is 531 as laid out in the book. As I don’t have the book. I only use the free info Jim posts online. And FSL is not something I’ve seen online. I could read up on it - but that’s not gonna happen.

However the programme looks good. I’d keep an eye on you work out intensity if you are in a calorie deficit. Depending on how much fluff you have and how how much of a cut you are in - those could be long work outs. If find your self REALLY struggling to recover you might need to dial it in a bit.
But other than that - look great.

1 Like

Set up looks good, make sure to go relatively easy on the 50 reps of assistance if you are running FSL and the + AMRAP sets

1 Like

Thanks @carlbm and @hugh_gilly! Yep will definitely keep a very close eye on recovery, and I’ll be careful not to burn myself out with the assistance fluff.

1 Like

We are all set to begin. My thanks to everyone who’s helped me over the last few days, it’s really been useful.

I’ve reordered the training days to better fit my schedule, and enable me to start from Monday and get straight into a full training cycle.

The program: 5/3/1 5x5 FSL w/ 50 reps push, 50 reps pull, 50 reps abs.

Day 1: Deadlift

Day 2: OFF

Day 3: Press

Day 4: OFF

Day 5: Squat

Day 6: Bench

Day 7: OFF

Repeat

Current Training Maxes:
Squat 1RM 95.5 kg, TM 86 kg
Bench 1RM 70kg, TM 63 kg
Deadlift 1RM 131kg, TM 118 kg
OHP 1RM 60kg, TM 54 kg.

Week 1 –

Set 1: 65% x 5

Set 2: 75% x 5

Set 3: 85% x 5+

FSL: 5x5 @ 65%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Week 2 –

Set 1: 70% x 3

Set 2: 80% x 3

Set 3: 90% x 3+

FSL: 5x5 @ 70%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Week 3 –

Set 1: 75% x 5

Set 2: 85% x 3

Set 3: 95% x 1+

FSL: 5x5 @ 75%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Add 5 lbs (2.5kg) to Training Max for bench press and OHP, add 10lbs (5 kg) to Training Max for squat and deadlift. Recalculate percentages based off new Training Max.

Week 4 –

Set 1: 65% x 5

Set 2: 75% x 5

Set 3: 85% x 5+

FSL: 5x5 @ 65%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Week 5 –

Set 1: 70% x 3

Set 2: 80% x 3

Set 3: 90% x 3+

FSL: 5x5 @ 70%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Week 6 –

Set 1: 75% x 5

Set 2: 85% x 3

Set 3: 95% x 1+

FSL: 5x5 @ 75%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Week 7 (deload) –

Set 1: 40% x 5

Set 2: 50% x 5

Set 3: 60% x 5

FSL: 5x5 @ 40%

50 reps push
50 reps pull
50 reps abs

Add 5 lbs (2.5kg) to Training Max for bench press and OHP, add 10lbs (5 kg) to Training Max for squat and deadlift. Recalculate percentages based off new Training Max. Repeat until huge.

50 push/50 pull/50 abs setup:

Squat day:
Push - dips, feet elevated pushups
Pull - chins, curls
Abs - weighted decline sit-ups and hanging leg raises

Bench day:
Push - dips, skullcrusher
Pull - chins, barbell row

Deadlift day:
Push - dips, feet elevated pushups
Pull - chins, inverted row

Press day:
Push - dips, skullcrusher
Pull - chins, inverted row

Diet will be adjusted as we go, depending on progress. I am trying to get some whey protein, which will allow me to try hit 200g protein a day - this, I know, will be crucial if I want to keep my muscle and strength. Sleep will also be a serious priority. I’m determined to recover as well as I possibly can.

We’ll keep going and cutting down until we reach either a 34 inch waist or 179 lbs, whichever comes first, and then we shall reassess.

Let’s get cracking.

Edit: damn I forgot to add my pullovers. Can’t be missing out on those haha. I’ll fit them in at the end of the workout.

3 Likes

31/08/20
First workout of the new program. Deadlift day. I’ll post the workout first, then share some brief thoughts.

Week 1

Deadlift (TM 118 kg)
Warmup: 60kgx5
Set 1: 76.5x5 (5 @65%)
Set 2: 88x5 (5 @75%)
Set 3: 100.5x7 (5+ @85%)
FSL sets: 76.5x5x5 (5x5 FSL @65%)

Assistance:
Superset - dips 8, 6, 6 with chins 6, 3, 3
Superset - decline pushups with inverted rows. Kept alternating between these two exercises until I hit about 50 reps for the push and pull categories. Probably won’t keep track of these two smaller exercises, since I do them mainly to just get in the volume and the burn etc. etc. Dips and chins on the other hand might be worth keeping tabs on to progress whenever possible.

Pullovers, 2 sets. You know I love a pullover haha.

Ab work - just did various decline situps supersetted with hanging leg raises for two or so rounds, trying to get up to that 50 rep target.

Some quick thoughts:

• I know I’m not a strong guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I was still surprised how light the starting weights were - but I suppose that’s why the program works!
  • 5x5 @65% deadlifts was harder than I thought it would be haha. Definitely was sceptical on paper, but it’s a good challenge. I do dislike rep and volume work on the deadlift though to be honest, but then again my repping ability on most exercises is pretty laughable.

I’ll keep reporting my experiences with the new program as I go along and get settled in.

I’d say if you are getting 7 reps on your 5+ day in your first cycle you could probably benefit from dropping your TM a bit to give you plenty of room to progress. I’ve seen it recommended that you use something you can get 3-5 good reps with as your TM.

5 Likes

The man has a good point. The programme is written so that your 1+ weight should be achievable for 5 reps. If its not - then you’re TM is too high.

If 7 reps was your absolute max at 85% then at 95% you’re looking at 3/4 reps.

I love these. So under rated.

2 Likes

Huh, didn’t know this. I might have to drop it down in that case, I don’t want to stall any earlier than I have to. Although it’s possible I might have gotten fewer reps than normal because I had to do slow eccentrics that day - had to be quiet that workout lol. That being said I don’t know if that fact alone is enough to drop my performance significantly below normal levels. If it is, then I’ll just be sure to do the reps at normal speed next time - otherwise I’ll drop my TM to 85% of 1RM and see how it goes.

Definitely. Such a great way to get in some extra pulling volume, and you can super easily drop set by moving your feet in.

Don’t panic or make any changes now. IF you don’t get all 5 reps in two weeks - then its not like you wasted the month. You are still running a good programme. Its just a tad too heavy. So yeah finish the month and then go for the 1+
Something to consider:
On the 3rd week you do 5 reps at 75% and 3 at 85%. So you should be fresher for 95% set.
Also - I always say start too light with 531. People worry that the weights are too low to make progress. They wont be. Just work that + set all out and it is self policing. The intensity will be there. No one ever said - “Wow - that max set of 13 dead lifts was easy”

1 Like

Got it. In that case I’ll keep everything the same for now and reassess if necessary at the end of the first three weeks.

1 Like

I wish I was this balanced as an individual.

1 Like

Been a little slack on the logging these past few days. I’ll update it as soon as I can.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve got two workouts to report, but also some thoughts and ideas that I want to mention regarding how I’m going so far, which I will probably add later.

02/08/20
First workout to report on.

OHP
Warmup: 20kgx8
Set 1: 35x5 (5 @65%)
Set 2: 40.5x5 (5 @75%)
Set 3: 46x6 (5+ @85%). Yep, another slightly low rep count.
FSL sets: 35x5x5 (5x5 FSL @65%)

Assistance:
Superset - dips 9, 7, 7 with chins 6, 4, 3
Superset - Skullcrushers, inverted rows

Pullovers, 2 sets.

Superset - decline sit-ups with hanging knee raises.

04/09/20
Second workout to report.

Squat
Warmup: 20kgx15, 40x5
Set 1: 56x5 (5 @65%)
Set 2: 64.5x5 (5 @75%)
Set 3: 73x7 (5+ @85%). Another lower rep count than would be ideal.
FSL sets: 56x5x5 (5x5 FSL @65%)

Assistance:
Superset - dips 11, 8, 7 with chins 6, 5, 3
Superset - Decline pushups with inverted rows (2 rounds)
Pullovers, 2 sets.
Superset - BB curls w/ skullcrushers (3 rounds)
50 reps situps

Note - some suspicious sensations in my right hand during the squats, like a sort of pins and needles/tingling thing. Think it’s a nerve thing, it’s happened before but yeah. Gotta figure something out there I think. Also, I swear my quads were asleep, I only felt the squats in the glutes. Really irritating. I have some ideas on that though so I’ll have a think and report back.

05/09/20
Third workout to report.

Bench
Warmup: 20kgx10
Set 1: 41x5 (5 @65%)
Set 2: 47.5x5 (5 @75%)
Set 3: 53.5x10 (5+ @85%) (better rep count)
FSL sets: 41x5x5 (5x5 FSL @65%)

Assistance:
Superset - dips 10, 8, 8 with chins 6, 4, 4
Superset - Decline pushups with inverted rows (2 rounds)
Pullovers, 2 sets.
Superset - BB curls w/ skullcrushers (3 rounds)
50 reps assorted ab exercises.

Have also slightly injured my shoulder, don’t know how. Yeah it’s been an unlucky few days haha. As I mentioned, I have a few thoughts, some of which I’ve mentioned in my workout reports for this week, that I need to collate together and report on properly. I’ll do that as soon as I have the chance.

Why are you doing 65%, 75% and 85% every workout vs the typical 5/3/1 loading style? Just getting a feel for the 5s week?

1 Like

I have carpel tunnel. I get numb hands in squats. I have to be carful how much phone time I allow myself and how I type. If I’m mindful of this (just going slower and being more supported) and to goes away.

1 Like

Oh I thought I was doing the normal 5/3/1 stuff :grimacing: am I doing something wrong? I’m basically just going off what I’ve read (see attached pic)

Is it not just this twice before the deload?