Bigger Traps?

face pulls, deads, cleans and farmers walks(overhead dumbells, after doing the dumbells over head walk, you wont be able to lift your arms over your head for atleast an hour.

Some other things no one has mentioned is you need to eat and sleep big, if your nutrition and rest, is not in order you cant expect to grow.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
As I stated some are genetically predisposed, and nobody doing 20 rep schemes and pulley isolations looks like this.

It’s not purely genetics. The stimulation must also be there[/quote]

I know, my point was that genetics play a big role in his case. I’d go as far as to say that he doesn’t have to lift a ton to get them to look that way.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
Majin wrote:
Joebob wrote:
Don’t forget gear. Doesn’t the traps have more androgen receptors than any muscle group.

He doesn’t look like he’s on roids, at least you’d think hed have bigger arms.

I wasn’t actually commenting on him using gear, but stating that the traps have the largest number of androgen receptors of all the muscles in the body. My traps tend to grow without much direct work. It seems that by putting things over my head and picking things up off the ground they grow. It is really quite simple. [/quote]

I misunderstood, sorry. Didn’t know that about the traps. So they ‘trap’ androgens huh.

Traps have the ability to give you a more “powerful” look, looking more thick from every angle. But it’s not everybody who has big traps that go straight up to the ears; like biceps for example, not everybody has the same muscle shape. You can develop a muscle to its limit, it’s always going to look like what you were born with but bigger - as simple as that.

So, three things:

1. Keep reps low. I find traps to respond pretty well to lower reps (4-6)
  2. Put it a lot weight.
  3. Keep it simple. Focus on the heavy basics (deadlift, rowing, power shrugs) and you won’t need a whole lot of direct work, throw in a couple of sets of hise shrugs on back day and watch them grow.

That’s what I did for mine. Genetics play a role in the shape of the muscle and the maximum size it’ll get - the rest is determined by your efforts in the gym and at the table.

And I do practice what I preach.

I find a lot of people wanting to know how to get huge traps are a lot like the people who wonder why they aren’t big overall. They haven’t trained long enough to get strong enough.
If you’re doing shrugs with 2-300 pounds, there’s your answer. Work your way up to 500 and see what happens. Mass is there for a reason. It’s needed to move heavy-ass weights.

DaFreak,
That is THE MOST WICKED set of delts I’ve ever seen.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
I find a lot of people wanting to know how to get huge traps are a lot like the people who wonder why they aren’t big overall. They haven’t trained long enough to get strong enough.
If you’re doing shrugs with 2-300 pounds, there’s your answer. Work your way up to 500 and see what happens. Mass is there for a reason. It’s needed to move heavy-ass weights.[/quote]

But I thought big muscles were nonfunctional?

For Traps/ Upper Back specialization, check out Thib’s “Power Look” routine.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
DaFreak,
That is THE MOST WICKED set of delts I’ve ever seen.

[/quote]

Well, … thanks :slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:
If you’re doing shrugs with 2-300 pounds, there’s your answer. Work your way up to 500 and see what happens. Mass is there for a reason. It’s needed to move heavy-ass weights.

But I thought big muscles were nonfunctional?[/quote]

That’s only true if you are an mma fighter OR don’t have any bones.

Yeah, what’s up with that?

[quote]AceQHounddog wrote:
For Traps/ Upper Back specialization, check out Thib’s “Power Look” routine.[/quote]

Great read, from my training partner and trainer - CT knows what it’s all about!

You obviously need to read my post again. Sure, you can build big muscles lifting 500-pound barbells, I won’t deny that. But as soon as you leave the gym and some really small guy picks a fight with you, you’ll explode like Agent Smith did when Neo jumped into him in the original Matrix.

Natural Nate wrote:

You obviously need to read my post again. Sure, you can build big muscles lifting 500-pound barbells, I won’t deny that. But as soon as you leave the gym and some really small guy picks a fight with you, you’ll explode like Agent Smith did when Neo jumped into him in the original Matrix.

[/quote]

Huh? What do you mean? Elaborate please.

You see, only Neo had the power to defeat the Agents and ultimately bring piece between man and machine.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:

Huh? What do you mean? Elaborate please.[/quote]

You see, only Neo had the power to defeat the Agents and ultimately bring piece between man and machine.

[/quote]

I got that, I meant why would the guy blow up? Becasue a little guy picked on him?

[/quote]

^ Sarcasm. Hilarious sarcasm.

[/quote]

Why didn’t you say so the first time?! Damnit, some kid probably almost went to the gym and lifted something HEAVY and then starting eating enough to gain weight. Hopefully we stopped them before it’s too late. There are enough guys walking around with gigantic completely useless muscles as it is.

just did 575 for 5 on shrugs…will maintain for a week or two before trying 580 and will try and add a couple of reps in the meantime…