Bigger, stronger, leaner.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
get lean first
then get strong and big while keeping bodyfat in check.

is this a gymrat subforum?[/quote]

So someone who is 150lbs and 20% and wants to get huge. You’d recommend that they cut? hmmmmm

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

So someone who is 150lbs and 20% and wants to get huge. You’d recommend that they cut? hmmmmm[/quote]

That’s what is in style lately.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

So someone who is 150lbs and 20% and wants to get huge. You’d recommend that they cut? hmmmmm[/quote]
yeah, I’d tell them him to get his maintenance calories - find a calculator online to get a rough baseline, then adjust with bodyfat changes - once down to 10-15%, up carbs from there till he’s got a happy medium. Keep in mind bodyfat does not equal total weight, and a caloric surplus isn’t always needed to gain muscle, provided that the training stimulus is significant enough.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

yeah, I’d tell them him to get his maintenance calories - find a calculator online to get a rough baseline, then adjust with bodyfat changes - once down to 10-15%, up carbs from there till he’s got a happy medium. Keep in mind bodyfat does not equal total weight, and a caloric surplus isn’t always needed to gain muscle, provided that the training stimulus is significant enough.[/quote]

I would completely disagree with that. someone like that will make huge progress just starting a regular training program without wasting months dieting to only look worse.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

yeah, I’d tell them him to get his maintenance calories - find a calculator online to get a rough baseline, then adjust with bodyfat changes - once down to 10-15%, up carbs from there till he’s got a happy medium. Keep in mind bodyfat does not equal total weight, and a caloric surplus isn’t always needed to gain muscle, provided that the training stimulus is significant enough.[/quote]

I would completely disagree with that. someone like that will make huge progress just starting a regular training program without wasting months dieting to only look worse.[/quote]

x2 - telling a grown man to get down to 130-140lbs is fucking retarded.

[quote]Furyguy wrote:

How big should you “bulk” up to before thinking about leanness?[/quote]

That honestly depends on your goals and the progress you actually see from what you do. I kept gaining because I was seeing more and more gains in muscle and strength. I would not keep gaining if the strength and muscle wasn;t following and the only thing growing was my waist.

[quote]

How lean should you stay while trying to add size? [/quote]

Completely individual and depends on body type, genetics and metabolism. I am as fat right now as I want to get again…but I have carried more than this in the past.

[quote]
Any general recommendations for the less accomplished? Assuming an ‘average’ lifter who is not excessively fat nor excessively small. [/quote]

Focus on the results and not some paint by numbers approach that ignores that you are an individual. Everyone doesn’t grow the fastest at the same body fat percentage,.

No, I wouldn’t because I know too many guy who have competed who, while they never got really fat, wouldn’t lose their shit if they hit a drastic “17% body fat”.

Obviously the goal is to avoid the all out love handles, but any guy who has gotten real big has likely pushed the limits before.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

more often then not somebody who is 150lbs and 20% has never lifted a weight in their life and lives at mcdonalds. so the likelihood of them gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is greater when they embark on a diet and exercise regimen. they would probably recomp and end up at 150lbs 15% bodyfat or something.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

I would completely disagree with that. someone like that will make huge progress just starting a regular training program without wasting months dieting to only look worse.[/quote]

x2 - telling a grown man to get down to 130-140lbs is fucking retarded.
[/quote]
well, it wouldn’t take months, and the person wouldn’t drop much under the starting weight of 150 lbs. Even with my genetics, I lost 20 lbs lbm and gained strength and stretch marks all over. If someone is at a sad 150 lbs 20% bodyfat, then a tough bodybuilding program will cause a lot of muscle gain and fat loss…so that 10 lbs of fat needed to get to a normal level will not take much of a deficit if any, and will not take months. As you both would agree, this is all about the long haul. This method of going into a heavy surplus initially is not going to save time or produce better results.

who the fuck is 150 lbs and 20% body fat, and a male? Iron Dwarf in his younger days?

What’s the point of this forum?

How is this suppose to be different from Bodybuilding?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

How is this suppose to be different from Bodybuilding?[/quote]

My guess its a forum for recreational lifters who are not beginners in terms of strenght/mass and experience under the barbell. Bigger, stronger, leaner does also sound cooler than “the recreational lifters forum”.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw: I welcome a forum like this, since I am recreational lifter myself.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

get lean first

Should they do a traditional bulk?

Fuck no, end of story.

[quote]florelius wrote:

My guess its a forum for recreational lifters who are not beginners in terms of strenght/mass and experience under the barbell. Bigger, stronger, leaner does also sound cooler than “the recreational lifters forum”.

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

Recreational as in not as serious?

I too am confused. Not sure if I missed the memo or something.

And this thread is named after the forum, or vice versa? And where does this thread start?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I too am confused. Not sure if I missed the memo or something.

And this thread is named after the forum, or vice versa? And where does this thread start? [/quote]

threadception?

[quote]florelius wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

Recreational as in not as serious?[/quote]

Obviously not as serious as a powerlifter, Ol-lifter, strongman, bodybuilder etc.

But the degree on seriousness depends on the indivdidual I guess.

Take me as an example, I am offcourse much less serious about my lifting than Prof X, you or anyone who wants to step on stage, the platform, break records etc. If I am your typical recreational lifter, then the answer to your question is yes, not as serious.

I will argue though that most t-nationers are so-called recreational lifters that have no plans stepping on stage, on the platform etc, but rather wants to gain some strenght and look better than they do now. ( offcourse many of them are more serious than I, but they are still regular joes just wanting to better themself )

On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn’t have any lunch. In fact, I didn’t eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn’t ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. “Mom, it’s just for a school project”. “What project?” “I don’t know mom I just started it!”. A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don’t want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don’t. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear “Do you want a cookie I just baked”. I know I do not have time for this **** now. “No mom I do not want a cookie” I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

The creatine has entered my veins, I can feel it raging inside of me. I look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. I’ve become scared of my own strength. My mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door…I dont want her to see me like this. Just a few moments later, I catch myself looking at myself in the mirror…I can barely recognize myself.

[quote]florelius wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

So your saying the current BB forum is like way above your head or something?

I’d say the IFBB forum on BB.com is the type of place that DOESN’T interest me because it like sports coverage for a sport I don’t really follow. The BB forum here now is a wealth of knowledge for all levels.

If that was their plans for the forums though, then I’d understand.

[quote]florelius wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

Recreational as in not as serious?[/quote]
I made a drawing of your convo

[quote]giograves wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

So your saying the current BB forum is like way above your head or something?

I’d say the IFBB forum on BB.com is the type of place that DOESN’T interest me because it like sports coverage for a sport I don’t really follow. The BB forum here now is a wealth of knowledge for all levels.

If that was their plans for the forums though, then I’d understand.[/quote]

To clarify I just gave my 2 cents worth regarding what this new forum might be about. As Lanky I have no clue and I am just speculating here.

Regarding the BB forum: Offcourse its over my head, its not like I have a education in genetics or similar :slight_smile: