T Nation

Bigger, Stronger, Faster*

I just saw the trailer for this new documentary on steroids in America on Alwyn Cosgrove’s blog.

http://www.biggerstrongerfastermovie.com/

It looks extremely well done and compelling. I can’t wait to see it. I’ll admit I’ve never used for two reasons. 1) Not enough understanding of what they are and do 2) I’m not advanced enough of an athlete and I’m pretty young (20), so I’m leaving that decision at least a few years down the road.

Cosgrove has had an advance viewing and, in his opinion, it’s a fairly balanced piece. I truly hope so out of respect for all the guys I see working hard on this site, whether they’re using, or people just assume they are.

Ugh, I want to see this so bad man. Sadly there are no places in my area that are showing it.

I saw it opening day in SF. You should all go see it. I lift with one of the brothers in the movie, quite interetsing insight into the Bell family life.

It was certainly balanced. Everyone should go see it, even if only to support the attention and unbiased reporting steroid are getting from it.

[quote]Asgardian wrote:
I’ll admit I’ve never used for two reasons. 1) Not enough understanding of what they are and do 2) I’m not advanced enough of an athlete and I’m pretty young (20), so I’m leaving that decision at least a few years down the road.

[/quote]

quite possibly the best decision you have made thus far in your life. Be sure not to take any info in the documentary as truth and base your decisions on that in reference to any future use.

tha twhite bull was ripped the hell up wasnt he lol
damnit

[quote]testanabol wrote:
Asgardian wrote:
I’ll admit I’ve never used for two reasons. 1) Not enough understanding of what they are and do 2) I’m not advanced enough of an athlete and I’m pretty young (20), so I’m leaving that decision at least a few years down the road.

quite possibly the best decision you have made thus far in your life. Be sure not to take any info in the documentary as truth and base your decisions on that in reference to any future use.

[/quote]

Three years of research went into the movie so you CAN take the information in it as truth. The movie website even has a “Research” tab that has a great deal of information. The movie DOES NOT promote or recommend use. It explores they psychology and cultural forces behind many kinds of performance enhancement. The reviews have described the movie as very balanced and I very much doubt that anyone will walk out of the film deciding to use simply because of what they saw in the film.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:
testanabol wrote:
Asgardian wrote:
I’ll admit I’ve never used for two reasons. 1) Not enough understanding of what they are and do 2) I’m not advanced enough of an athlete and I’m pretty young (20), so I’m leaving that decision at least a few years down the road.

quite possibly the best decision you have made thus far in your life. Be sure not to take any info in the documentary as truth and base your decisions on that in reference to any future use.

Three years of research went into the movie so you CAN take the information in it as truth. The movie website even has a “Research” tab that has a great deal of information. The movie DOES NOT promote or recommend use. It explores they psychology and cultural forces behind many kinds of performance enhancement. The reviews have described the movie as very balanced and I very much doubt that anyone will walk out of the film deciding to use simply because of what they saw in the film.[/quote]

I disagree NEVER take what you see on a screen for 100% truth without doing research or using your head… go back to baa-ing you fucking sheep

[quote]retailboy wrote:
go back to baa-ing you fucking sheep[/quote]

Is that really necessary?

I think it’s fair to take the information at face value, and assume it’s true for all casual purposes. Now if one was seriously thinking about starting a cycle, I think we’d all find it extraordinarily ill advised to do so using a documentary as one’s foundation of knowledge on the subject.

I’ve got it penciled in for tomorrow afternoon…As anyone here who knows my M.O., I assure you I will pull no punches in the review (which I will also be posting a version on the movie review site www.flixter.com), and will be going in with deserved skepticism, since the film is produced by the same cabal notorious for extremely biased so-called “documentaries” by leftist propagandist and fat-bastard Mike Moore…Such credentials bode ill for alleged “fairness” on the subject, as does the “Greg Valentino Factor”…Stay tuned, Kids…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If anyone knows how i could maybe see this over the net, i would greatly appreciate a link…

[quote]Famousbychoice wrote:
If anyone knows how i could maybe see this over the net, i would greatly appreciate a link…[/quote]

If they are showing it in your area why not support a fellow lifter?

They’ve got a pretty fucking weak theater list.

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
They’ve got a pretty fucking weak theater list.[/quote]

Trying to get your films into big theatres is so hard. The fact that they have made it into as many as they have (and I imagine it will keep growing) is impressive considering the topic is steroids, which the media/ill-informed people of this nation vilify as much, if not more, than drugs.

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
They’ve got a pretty fucking weak theater list.[/quote]

Trying to get your films into big theatres is so hard. The fact that they have made it into as many as they have (and I imagine it will keep growing) is impressive considering the topic is steroids, which the media/ill-informed people of this nation vilify as much, if not more, than drugs.

Great movie though, I enjoyed it.

Maybe I’m alone in this, but the fact that Greg Valentino is in the film so much doesn’t make me think this is going to be an unbiased presentation of facts or anything like that. I mean, as best I know Greg is claiming that his arms ‘exploded’ from steroids still.

I like the idea of delving into why people use in the first place, but personally I’d like to see a more in-depth film that is in the vein of that that Real Sports special from a while back that discussed the safe (albeit illegal) use of steroids.

Also, and I know I’ll catch some flack for this, but Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 may have been well made film, but they were very far from factual. Now Michael Moore didn’t make this steroid film so there’s a plus, but to me the fact that it is from the same producers doesn’t lend any credibility. Flame away!

I don’t think it is going to be an anti-steroid propaganda piece, but I think in the end it will probably still come across anti-steroid. Anyway, I still want to see it for curiosity’s sake.

Just saw this post and wholly agree.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
I’ve got it penciled in for tomorrow afternoon…As anyone here who knows my M.O., I assure you I will pull no punches in the review (which I will also be posting a version on the movie review site www.flixter.com), and will be going in with deserved skepticism, since the film is produced by the same cabal notorious for extremely biased so-called “documentaries” by leftist propagandist and fat-bastard Mike Moore…Such credentials bode ill for alleged “fairness” on the subject, as does the “Greg Valentino Factor”…Stay tuned, Kids…[/quote]

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Famousbychoice wrote:
If anyone knows how i could maybe see this over the net, i would greatly appreciate a link…

If they are showing it in your area why not support a fellow lifter?[/quote]

Because there are no theaters where it is playing in Greece (where the poster is from) or Canada. None yet, anyways. I’m sure there will be a DVD though.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
I’ve got it penciled in for tomorrow afternoon…As anyone here who knows my M.O., I assure you I will pull no punches in the review (which I will also be posting a version on the movie review site www.flixter.com), and will be going in with deserved skepticism, since the film is produced by the same cabal notorious for extremely biased so-called “documentaries” by leftist propagandist and fat-bastard Mike Moore…Such credentials bode ill for alleged “fairness” on the subject, as does the “Greg Valentino Factor”…Stay tuned, Kids…[/quote]

Saw the movie last night…I was worried about this too, but I think it did a fantastic job. As far as placing blame on “washington” it wasn’t limited to R’s or D’s…but both. In fact they really ripped on Henry Waxman D-CA the most (and for good reason- he is absolutely clueless). The only thing that bugged me a little was when they mentioned Orin Hatch (R-Utah) they neglected to mention Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) when talking about ephedra.

I’m telling everyone I know to go see this movie…and I’m giving a presentation on Steroids to my “Health and Wellness” class next month and I’m going to run the trailer for the movie.

OK…I had to reschedule, saw it friday. Saw it at a local “art house” with a total seating capacity of about 25. Less than ten in attendance for the viewing I took in, but they were interested and paid attention throughout. I resisted the buttered popcorn…Here is the promised review below, the body of which I will be posting, as mentioned, at www.flixter.com:

Regarding filmmaker Christopher Bell: If you are anti, you’ll say he is pro; and if you are pro, you will say he did not go far enough. Bell’s alleged “moral dilemma”, (that his/our so-called “heroes” were flawed for using PED’s/Performance Enhancing Drugs) often comes off as childishly simplistic and overwrought, merely an affectation to advance the plot.

It comes off as more sly wink, with his own smarmy brand of humor, than true righteous indignation. I have extremely serious issues with his portrayals of how “easy” it is to obtain steroids and how to manufacture bogus “legal” supplements. These segments were both misleading and downright irresponsible, particularly in light of the crackdown on those attempting to obtain steroids. There are now a vast number of people doing hard time and some have even lost their lives (the ultimate “unintended consequence”) in this new “war on testosterone”, yet Bell does not once mention this and treats the issue as a lighthearted joke.

I consider this a major fault in this film, an omission that undermines the rest of the content by effectively leaving the viewer ignorant of the serious consequences facing the “little guy” (rather than rich sports/Hollywood figures who can afford expensive legal resources), and avoids taking to task the law enforcement arms who would rather make a “safe” steroid arrest than take the personal risk of going gun to gun against violent armed drug gangsters pushing serious drugs that actually are a menace to society, unlike steroids.

Greg Valentino is brought in for shock value, and again, it is left for the viewer to assume his distorted arms are the result of steroid use, despite the fact there is no other person shown with a similar look (synthol oil), yet the segments with Jay Cutler and Will Harris were cut from the film(?). The segments with John Romano and Dr. Yesalis, who have something constructive to say, should have been expanded over the Valentino footage.

Bell also dropped the ball regarding the Sylvester Stallone incident in Australia, reinforcing the impression that Stallone was physically arrested for “Steroids”, when in fact the compound was HGH, was legally held by Stallone under a prescription, and that Stallone never spent any time in handcuffs or in jail. The beef was strictly an importation issue, nothing more (until the biased media got hold of the story, that is). Stallone’s comments about HGH (“It’s nothing”) and pro-testosterone comments (“Improves the quality of life”…“May be sold over the counter in 10 years”) regarding mature men and HRT are not mentioned.

Let me point out the hypocrisy of actress Suzanne Somers freely championing hormone therapy for women without a peep heard from the media, while Stallone is loudly reviled for doing the exact same thing for men, an outrageous display of the double standard gone wild. Bell’s love-hate relationship with bodybuilding and powersports provide him with a dragon to both ride and slay at the same time in his quest for fame, but it is a shame he feels it necessary to step on both the “innocent and the guilty” in his juvenile tantrum against Catholic style disillusionment (Was it really necessary, for example, to dog Arnold by pointing out the winner of the Arnold Classic had a steroid related arrest history?).

I could go on, but the intelligent reading this will “get my drift”, while the close-minded fanatics cannot be helped anyway. At least he did cover the positive use of steroids in medicine, and included the HIV+ subjects comments, and makes the point that steroid use is no “shortcut”, and users in fact train as hard or harder than alleged “naturals”. The film does more good than harm in the total scheme of it’s subject matter, but is very far from definitive for the general public. The film is vastly superior to the Documentary “The Man Whose Arms Exploded”, which was rife with misinformation and was designed to be an anti-Steroid/PED propaganda piece (Curiously, both films feature many of the same people).

It may be better to simply man-up and produce a blatantly pro-PED piece rather than claim to be evenhanded and fail both sides in the process. Nonetheless, I still highly recommend seeing the film and let the chips fall where they may, although it still leaves the burden on anyone sporting an above-average physique to defend themselves against those who have seen the film and now fancy themselves “experts”, but remain hostile on the subject. Two steps forward, and one step back for “Bigger, Stronger and Faster”.