Bigger Faster Stronger* Documentary

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
I think its pretty funny the way people in America are all experts on Marijuana and how they down play ANY negativity but there is still so much misinformation on AAS. Try talking to a co-worker about it and you’ll see how he’ll lose his shit.[/quote]

Maybe your coworker is on steroids?

Roid rage, and all, you know.

I’ve met Rick Collins several times, the lawyer in the film and former contributor. I also went to the Hofstra Steroid Law symposium he hosted, which was awesome. He’s a great guy.

Isn’t Mark Bell formerly a poster here named Jackass? I could be mis-remembering that or have him confused with someone else.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Isn’t Mark Bell formerly a poster here named Jackass? I could be mis-remembering that or have him confused with someone else.
[/quote]

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_image_performance/jackass_1

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
[/quote]

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_image_performance/jackass_1[/quote]

That’s pretty cool.

Watched this again last night (after finding out it was on Netflix). Just reminded me how much I enjoyed it. I don’t think it was biased towards steroid use at all. Chris, throughout the movie, says he can’t justify steroid use on a moral level and hates that his brothers are on them. It may seem biased but I think that is because of the pre-existing social stigma towards them being negative.

The parts with Mad Dog were really difficult to watch along with the interviews with his parents. When he was sitting at the table with his mom talking about steroid use I really felt for her. She did not pull any of the “steroids will kill you” bullshit argument. She instead says why can’t you just love yourself for who you are and accept the gifts you have been given. Thought that was pretty cool.

In the end I was pretty angry just because I know that the Doc won’t change the public perception. The same shit happens today and media will only continue to make it worse.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
I think its pretty funny the way people in America are all experts on Marijuana and how they down play ANY negativity but there is still so much misinformation on AAS. Try talking to a co-worker about it and you’ll see how he’ll lose his shit.[/quote]

Maybe your coworker is on steroids?

Roid rage, and all, you know. [/quote]

Guys with low T are probably more emotional than your typical steroid user.

honestly I’d only expect a fraction of fellow lifters to have any proper understanding steroid use. I got called reckless last week for advocating TRT for older guys. I need to watch this doc

why does carl lewis have a gold medal?

[quote]spk wrote:
why does carl lewis have a gold medal?[/quote]

Because he misplaced the other nine?

With TRT being common place and steroid scandals being in the media, we will make the change in the future. Much talk is being had on the topic now, so as long as their are intelligent people educating other’s who have only heard misinformation their entire lives we can make the change. Our actions do have impacts. I don’t advocate arguing with anti drug wing bats who aren’t open minded but people with brains can make their own decisions when info is presented in a unbiased way.

I liked how the narrator compared our generation to his fathers it displayed insight into the myths our generation believe about their futures and realities. That one can like Arnold be famous just for being huge and athletic and have a sort of dream job in where you are paid to just be yourself. I e train and perform.

Where as his father had a hard 9 to 5 his whole life and was not preoccupied with living a lavish existence, and put his family before himself. It was also cool to see that the airforce pilots were taking some type of stims or oral steroids I can’t remeber exactly to have sharper reflexes and to be alert.

On the whole the media and society endorces it and demonizes it, it is like a double edged sword. Some are kept as heroes while other’s are called out and have their names tarnished. I believe it would be good for all major sports to have sit down discussions and figure out what is an aid to training and what is abuse and how to have a certain baseline for all athletes.

If you look at sports like hockey baseball football, rugby, any sport where you are constantly getting beat up and outputting great amounts of force you are damaging your body constantly. It only makes sense to myself for these players to have aids which help them recover from such extreme training and performing regiments.

It obviously would be years down the road and people will cry because it then forces people who don’t want to use into using just to be able to compete in a sport they love.
Whether morally it is right or wrong does not matter people still use it and it should be controlled and done so safely in sports, I have no idea how this would be reached and maybe very idealistic but I find our current praise for some and demonizing other very contradictory.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
I believe it would be good for all major sports to have sit down discussions and figure out what is an aid to training and what is abuse and how to have a certain baseline for all athletes.[/quote]
I think this is an important thing to keep in mind, because if it were suddenly okay for athletes to take steroids, the doses would go through the roof in an effort to find/keep an edge on the competition, and you can’t convince me that would be healthy or good for any sport in the long run. While I often find myself scratching my head when I think about what is and isn’t on the banned substance list, the implications of opening the floodgates are frightening, not to mention you’d have to overcome the incredible momentum the anti-drug movement has gathered up til now.

Just the two cents of someone who, compared to others here, is relatively uninformed and inexperienced when it comes to PEDs.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
I believe it would be good for all major sports to have sit down discussions and figure out what is an aid to training and what is abuse and how to have a certain baseline for all athletes.[/quote]
I think this is an important thing to keep in mind, because if it were suddenly okay for athletes to take steroids, the doses would go through the roof in an effort to find/keep an edge on the competition, and you can’t convince me that would be healthy or good for any sport in the long run. While I often find myself scratching my head when I think about what is and isn’t on the banned substance list, the implications of opening the floodgates are frightening, not to mention you’d have to overcome the incredible momentum the anti-drug movement has gathered up til now.

Just the two cents of someone who, compared to others here, is relatively uninformed and inexperienced when it comes to PEDs.[/quote]

The other part of this is while it should be okay for grown adults to use steroids, if athletes start use or to admit to use then all of a sudden you have high school athletes who start to think well if they did it I am going to do it. It already happens now but would probably blow up even more if it was legal for athletes.

PED’s are really LED (life enhancing drugs) when used properly. If they didn’t have such a bad rap we could be using them in situations to change peoples lives for the better. IMO just like Canabis

It’s pretty even-handed. There’s a lot of what appears to be pro-steroid stance because the documentary questions the accepted anti-PED stance and that’s the style of it. Without a certain humorous style or position, it’s a bland piece. Bell’s position is less pro-PED than it shows the hypocrisy of the knee-jerk reactions against it (there are educated non-knee jerk reactions IRL). Like, we WANT records to be broken. We WANT larger than life. We demand that our singers and actors be fit and attractive. Is it cheating? Maybe, but is it “more cheating” than beta-blockers before an audition? Is it dangerous? Maybe, we don’t know because of the lack of (modern) research. But there was a series in the Toronto Star about the dangers of Tylenol last week.

There used to be the idea that MJ was harmless, but now that it’s practically decriminalized in many areas for a while (can’t recall when I saw someone hauled in for being high on MJ), there is more interest in the harmful or beneficial effects. Turns out, not entirely harmless. In teen boys with genetic predisposition for schizophrenia (I think?) it was cited as a trigger to manifestation. In another study, it was shown to negatively affect the “motivation” areas of the brain. Maybe now with more acceptance, some of the PEDs will be better researched.

Personally, I think Western society is opening up more to T and GH in particular due to anti-aging. Look at some of the actors out there - Bruce Willis, Stallone, the Rock and all the guys in Expendables - they are admired for how well they aged. The ones like WIllis who noticably aged and shrank, he’s the grizzled veteran. Even the women - Aniston, Bullock - maybe not on T, but they are admired for looking the way they do well past 40. A decade ago, actors those age would NOT be leading in action or sci-fi movies, or playing the hot love interest. We’re growing older and but we don’t want to slide, and even if you work out or eat healthy, some natural substances decline.

The guys in the film use way more supplemental T than what would take you to upper-end natural, but it helps give a visual to the older guy or girl looking to recapture or maintain.

So it went from “that’s unnatural” an “that’s cheating” to “man I wish I looked like that” and “man I wish I could do that”

carl lewis took illegal drugs as did ben. why did ben get the ax and not carl ?? ben smoled him big time in this 100m.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
PED’s are really LED (life enhancing drugs) when used properly. If they didn’t have such a bad rap we could be using them in situations to change peoples lives for the better. IMO just like Canabis[/quote]
Exactly

[quote]spk wrote:

carl lewis took illegal drugs as did ben. why did ben get the ax and not carl ?? ben smoled him big time in this 100m.[/quote]

Because Carl Lewis had his positive test swept under the rug due to “inadvertent use” and Ben Johnson got caught without the benefit of that defense (or that guy in the doping control room put steroids in his beer). I’m not sure I believe anybody on the start line of that race was clean, but it was 25 years ago, get over it.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
PED’s are really LED (life enhancing drugs)… [/quote]

I highly disagree. People who use drugs for performance enhancement do not use them in clinical dosages or they use them when they are not medically needed, and using them in amounts that enhance performance are actually detrimental to health in most cases.

I am on TRT that puts me in the normal range for T. I don’t have any advantage over a natural guy because my T value is at the natural level.

[quote]

…when they are used properly. [/quote]

What is proper use other than medicinal use?