T Nation

Bigger Clean

I just came off a several week break and I went to the gym and my clean sucked. I’ve been doing 20 rep front squats and romanian deadlifts alternating for about two weeks. This hasn’t really been working. I just wanted to ask should I do less reps and more sets. Any ideas would help. I also do several sets of 2-5 reps of hang cleans, squat cleans, and power cleans. I have just been doing this the last two weeks except for maybe 6-7 sets total of back squats.

[quote]gripwork wrote:
I just came off a several week break and I went to the gym and my clean sucked. I’ve been doing 20 rep front squats and romanian deadlifts alternating for about two weeks. This hasn’t really been working. I just wanted to ask should I do less reps and more sets. Any ideas would help. I also do several sets of 2-5 reps of hang cleans, squat cleans, and power cleans. I have just been doing this the last two weeks except for maybe 6-7 sets total of back squats.[/quote]

First off, I would give a program longer than 2 weeks before deciding it isn’t working. That said, how long have you been cleaning before this program, and how is your form? Assuming you know the lift and you still arent’ making any gains then here a few exercises that you could try. (In order from top to bottom of how I would add them to my own workout in a similar situatin)

Rack Cleans
Snatch
Upright Rows
Power Snatch
Jump Shrugs

I bet $5 its your form,When I learned good form my clean went up 50lbs.Learn the form bro.

This is the workout i follow from a college weight coach.
1.4x10 power clean 65% max
2.4x10 high hang pulls(clean with no catch)70% max
3.4x10 shrugs with normal bar followed immediately by 1X10 trap bar shrugs - this is a superset so rest in between sets not reps of the two exercises.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
This is the workout i follow from a college weight coach.
1.4x10 power clean 65% max
2.4x10 high hang pulls(clean with no catch)70% max
3.4x10 shrugs with normal bar followed immediately by 1X10 trap bar shrugs - this is a superset so rest in between sets not reps of the two exercises.[/quote]

I don’t really get the idea of doing so many reps in the cleans and pulls.

Well it works fairly well considering that i went from cleaning 215 to 240 in four weeks.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
Well it works fairly well considering that i went from cleaning 215 to 240 in four weeks.[/quote]

That’s great dude…I clean 165kg and weigh 82kg.

high rep cleans will tire your back and compromise your form, which will lead to injury.

If you want to develop a heavy clean, lift heavy! triples, doubles, singles, slowly building up your volume by adding more sets.

[quote]LittleBigMuscles wrote:
drock11 wrote:
Well it works fairly well considering that i went from cleaning 215 to 240 in four weeks.

That’s great dude…I clean 165kg and weigh 82kg.

high rep cleans will tire your back and compromise your form, which will lead to injury.

If you want to develop a heavy clean, lift heavy! triples, doubles, singles, slowly building up your volume by adding more sets.
[/quote]

That is correct sir. Well said.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
This is the workout i follow from a college weight coach.
1.4x10 power clean 65% max
2.4x10 high hang pulls(clean with no catch)70% max
3.4x10 shrugs with normal bar followed immediately by 1X10 trap bar shrugs - this is a superset so rest in between sets not reps of the two exercises.[/quote]

Do you really mean 4 sets of 10 reps?? If so, your college strength coach doesn’t know shit!! 4x10 defeats the purpose of developing POWER. What you are doing is called STUPID especially if you are trying to develop POWER. I think you would have to change the name to ENDURANCE CLEANS if you do 4x10.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
This is the workout i follow from a college weight coach.
1.4x10 power clean 65% max
2.4x10 high hang pulls(clean with no catch)70% max
3.4x10 shrugs with normal bar followed immediately by 1X10 trap bar shrugs - this is a superset so rest in between sets not reps of the two exercises.[/quote]

Do you have someone watching your form on those sets of 10 cleans? It is awfully hard to maintain good form on that high of a rep scheme for cleans.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
Well it works fairly well considering that i went from cleaning 215 to 240 in four weeks.[/quote]

You could take a monkey that can clean 215 and have it cleaning 240 just by working on form. Thats what sets of 10 is for. If you already have good form though you should be doing sets of less than 6 with a volume around 20-30. I went from 345 to 415 in one summer.

4x10 is a mass building workout, seeing as how this is a bodybuilding forum.

[quote]drock11 wrote:
4x10 is a mass building workout, seeing as how this is a bodybuilding forum.
[/quote]

Sets of 10 will force you to use good form too.

4x10 for cleans is ridiculous. A clean is basically a vertical jump (from hang position) so your hamstrings should be doing all the work. Hamstrings are a fast-twitch muscle group and therefore respond to low reps.

If you’re doing less than perfect reps during your sets you are teaching your body to move improperly which will make it all the more difficult to learn the proper way. As soon as your form degrades during your set, you stop right there.

Pick up some Renegade Training dvds, you will learn the proper way to clean-stomp and all!

A clean isn’t complicated, so don’t think about it too much when you’re attempting to do them.