Bigger Chest, Shoulders, and Arms

I consider myself pretty strong, but I don’t think my chest is as proportionally as big as it should be given my lower body. Also need to work on arms and deltoids, but main problem is that I’m not sure how to build bigger chest. I don’t think bench is that effective, even though I can bench a lot for my size.

What do people consider biggest mass builders for chest, also deltoids and arms? In past I’ve usually gone with some sort of spilt of lower/upper 4 days a week or full body 3x week. Usually combined heavier and light days working to max or triple or something over few sets, and lighter stuff usually keep around 30 reps total. I generally do 4 main exercises workout and couple accessory things afterwards. For heavy stuff I do compound movements.

I eat 6x a day, 20-40g protein each meal, around 4500cals day.

ya know theres a search box in the upper right

chest ? really heavy pec deck (machine)

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
ya know theres a search box in the upper right [/quote]

Really? I never even considered it…Actually I have and am reading some stuff, however I don’t think generating more ideas based on relevant information pertinent to my own scenario can hurt my situation, in fact I think it might even help.

ya know you don’t have to reply if you don’t want to offer any actual input to my question.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
chest ? really heavy pec deck (machine)[/quote]

Have you found this to be personally more effective? What kind of rep/set scheme did you use?

pec deck is good for shredding the inner chest decline will perk up your pecks and incline will build great mass from shoulder to shoulder. usually 3sets of 8 reps i increase weight every set.

[quote]js385787 wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
ya know theres a search box in the upper right

Really? I never even considered it…Actually I have and am reading some stuff, however I don’t think generating more ideas based on relevant information pertinent to my own scenario can hurt my situation, in fact I think it might even help.

ya know you don’t have to reply if you don’t want to offer any actual input to my question.

[/quote]

no it’s not that at all. I just see all of these chest and shoulders articles clogging up the airwaves in this forum, people asking the same exact questions yet creating new threads for the same material…

but to answer your question…

chest
Incline barbell 4x8
Flat Dumbbell 4x12

Shoulders
Seated Dumbbell 3x12
lateral raises,
bent over laterals…

elementary…

js385787 wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:

no it’s not that at all. I just see all of these chest and shoulders articles clogging up the airwaves in this forum, people asking the same exact questions yet creating new threads for the same material…

but to answer your question…

chest
Incline barbell 4x8
Flat Dumbbell 4x12

Shoulders
Seated Dumbbell 3x12
lateral raises,
bent over laterals…

elementary…[/quote]

I suppose. Not really looking for elementary stuff though. I already do the above mentioned chest exercises along with flies pretty regularly and find it doesn’t help with chest size. I’d like to have chest >52" and found that I have stalled in progress size wise in that area. For context my max bench is 405-415 raw touch and go.

For shoulder stuff let me rephrase, do people find compounds, such as standing press and push press to be more or less effective than say lateral raises for adding mass?

you bench 4 plates and are having trouble adding size to your chest…

welllll, you could always add more weight…

perhaps if you posted pictures…

you bench 4 plates and are having trouble adding size to your chest…

welllll, you could always add more weight…

perhaps if you posted pictures…

[/quote]

Size of where i want it to be yes indeed, by at least a few inches. post pics of what? I’m not into posting pics of my half naked body, but if you want some validation of what I bench or something I can do that if you want. My chest size is around 48.

i find it very hard to believe that you bench 405-415 and still have a small chest,shoulders and arms.Feel free to post a video to prove me wrong. Not flaming or anything, but just saying.

Honestly I don’t see much motivation for him to lie about his max bench. Some people are just hypertrophically (yes I just made that word up) challenged.

js what do you weigh in at?

Not that I’m a pro or anything, but don’t be afraid of using machines (like a pec deck, or HS chest press) to help concentrate on hypertrophy for your chest. Heck, you might get a stronger bench by doing that, maybe you’re just a very tricep dominant bencher like me.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Honestly I don’t see much motivation for him to lie about his max bench. Some people are just hypertrophically (yes I just made that word up) challenged.

js what do you weigh in at?

Not that I’m a pro or anything, but don’t be afraid of using machines (like a pec deck, or HS chest press) to help concentrate on hypertrophy for your chest. Heck, you might get a stronger bench by doing that, maybe you’re just a very tricep dominant bencher like me. [/quote]

I’m 6, 220. ya that’s something I haven’t done a lot of really, have to try it out in next program rotation and see how it works.

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
i find it very hard to believe that you bench 405-415 and still have a small chest,shoulders and arms.Feel free to post a video to prove me wrong. Not flaming or anything, but just saying.[/quote]

I didn’t say I have small chest, arms, etc. I believe them to be smaller than what they ought to be in contrast to legs and weight I lift, and certainly smaller than want I desire.

here’s your dumb validation.

2 again, didnt work from what i can see

posted same pic twice i think, tried to switch it by editing that post, didn’t seem to work, here’s mid push

[quote]js385787 wrote:
I consider myself pretty strong, but I don’t think my chest is as proportionally as big as it should be given my lower body. Also need to work on arms and deltoids, but main problem is that I’m not sure how to build bigger chest. I don’t think bench is that effective, even though I can bench a lot for my size.

What do people consider biggest mass builders for chest, also deltoids and arms? In past I’ve usually gone with some sort of spilt of lower/upper 4 days a week or full body 3x week. Usually combined heavier and light days working to max or triple or something over few sets, and lighter stuff usually keep around 30 reps total. I generally do 4 main exercises workout and couple accessory things afterwards. For heavy stuff I do compound movements.

I eat 6x a day, 20-40g protein each meal, around 4500cals day. [/quote]

I like weighted dips for chest and tris. Also, what rep range do you usually work in (how many sets to get 30 reps?)? I’ve found (surprisingly) that adding some pushups added size to my chest. I do them at a slight disadvantage by placing one hand out further than the other to make it harder, but I still work in the 20 or 30 rep range with pushups. I’ll do a total of between 100 and 200 depending on how thrashed my chest is from the rest of my workout. I can’t say for certain if it’s the pushups or the rep range variable (usually I work in sets of 4 to 6).

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
js385787 wrote:

I eat 6x a day, 20-40g protein each meal, around 4500cals day.

I like weighted dips for chest and tris. Also, what rep range do you usually work in (how many sets to get 30 reps?)? I’ve found (surprisingly) that adding some pushups added size to my chest. I do them at a slight disadvantage by placing one hand out further than the other to make it harder, but I still work in the 20 or 30 rep range with pushups. I’ll do a total of between 100 and 200 depending on how thrashed my chest is from the rest of my workout. I can’t say for certain if it’s the pushups or the rep range variable (usually I work in sets of 4 to 6).[/quote]

For lighter exercises usually 3-4 sets.