Big Time Nerd News Here...

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Video games are for babies.

This cartoon will test if you are a real nerd or not.

[/quote]

Haha. I get that.

Wait. FML.

[/quote]

Gonna call Escher’s endless staircase on Super Mario.

[/quote]

Nothing new here…

Quantum physics is alright. Not my prefered though.

[/quote]

physics is fun.

So…a 3GHz tri-core machine with a 500MHz Xenos GPU sold by Microsoft manages to read a multimedia container format introduced by the same company?

Either I’m missing something, or you have really low standards for what constitutes “big time nerd news”, my friend.

[quote]lixy wrote:
So…a 3GHz tri-core machine with a 500MHz Xenos GPU sold by Microsoft manages to read a multimedia container format introduced by the same company?

Either I’m missing something, or you have really low standards for what constitutes “big time nerd news”, my friend.[/quote]

You forgot to read the last part of his post, mainly: onlive’s existence.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Either I’m missing something, or you have really low standards for what constitutes “big time nerd news”, my friend.[/quote]

Substitute the word “nerd” for “geek”. Many don’t realize there is an actual distinction between the two terms – unfortunate, really.

Comic books, video games, sci-fi and fantasy belong to the realm of geeks. Nerds on the other hand have skills they can get paid for.

Nerds can be geeks too but it is not necessarily so.

Apparently it has to do with some sort of cloud technology. With fiber optics this is quite possible, the speed of light is pretty fast indeed. This seems very interesting though, that means that you can render millions of polygons without limit except the servers limit. They said they testes Crysis on full graphics with great results.

However This will cut out the middleman publisher and screw the little guys trying to catch up with the quality of AAA games. Plus the race for the biggest and fastest pc’s will slow down since the gaming community is a big part of the overall market.

[quote]lixy wrote:

Well the DivX/XviD support has only been there since… December 2007.

As far as OnLive goes, I’m going to put it into the category of “if it sounds too good to be true…”

They claim some completely new never heard of interactive video compression algorithms and even if that was true, where the hell would they get the massive computing power it takes to run these games for potentially thousands of users at once. It would practically mean having a brand new gaming computer per each connecting user.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:

XBOX360 playing all your .avi files, that’s a start. But I have to say the new ixtreme 1.51 firmware that just came out recently beats your news :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you talking about the new feature of backing up your games onto your xbox’s HD? I did this and it’s great for games like Oblivion that run loud as hell, but you have to have the game in the console to run from your HD, so it’s not as if piracy is an option… Or am I missing something?

Please do tell.[/quote]

No, I’m actually talking about BACK-UPS… ixtreme 1.51 is not the new feature of putting games on the HD like the PS3. iXtreme 1.51 is the new modified firmware for the xbox360 in other words, playing xbox360 games from a blank DL Disc). The games that were released after resident Evil 5 now come with 3rd wave video partition. The old iXtreme 1.5 and below would not boot these games with a 3rd wave video partition. So 1.51 and above are now able to read the 3rd wave generation games.

[quote]Hellfrost wrote:
Apparently it has to do with some sort of cloud technology. With fiber optics this is quite possible, the speed of light is pretty fast indeed. This seems very interesting though, that means that you can render millions of polygons without limit except the servers limit. They said they testes Crysis on full graphics with great results.

However This will cut out the middleman publisher and screw the little guys trying to catch up with the quality of AAA games. Plus the race for the biggest and fastest pc’s will slow down since the gaming community is a big part of the overall market. [/quote]

The problem is that the people who would be using the service don’t all have super high-speed, fiber optic internet connections. Any demoing of the service I’ve heard of(like with Crysis for example) has occurred between a computer hooked up to one of their servers via a gigabyte ethernet connection and isn’t remotely representative of an average consumer’s internet connection.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
The problem is that the people who would be using the service don’t all have super high-speed, fiber optic internet connections. Any demoing of the service I’ve heard of(like with Crysis for example) has occurred between a computer hooked up to one of their servers via a gigabyte ethernet connection and isn’t remotely representative of an average consumer’s internet connection.[/quote]

Agreed, this seems a bit too ahead for its time. This would have never been possible 5 years ago where as of now the average internet user has some sort of high speed internet such as cable. Maybe in the future this would be the norm.

lixy wrote:
Either I’m missing something, or you have really low standards for what constitutes “big time nerd news”, my friend.

Substitute the word “nerd” for “geek”. Many don’t realize there is an actual distinction between the two terms – unfortunate, really.

Comic books, video games, sci-fi and fantasy belong to the realm of geeks. Nerds on the other hand have skills they can get paid for.

Nerds can be geeks too but it is not necessarily so.[/quote]

I’ll use the term as I please, thank you very much. I hope you realize how ridiculous your attempts to own these words are.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:

The problem is that the people who would be using the service don’t all have super high-speed, fiber optic internet connections. Any demoing of the service I’ve heard of(like with Crysis for example) has occurred between a computer hooked up to one of their servers via a gigabyte ethernet connection and isn’t remotely representative of an average consumer’s internet connection.[/quote]

The more I’ve looked into this the more I’ve read this opinion. It seems there is a sharp divide between the clouders and the non-clouders. The skeptics have made good points, it will be interesting to see the result.