T Nation

Big Texan - Tips, Tricks, Testimonials?

Per my last thread, I’ve confirmed I’ll be in Amarillo this weekend. I plan on tackling the 72oz behemoth at the Big Texan Steak Ranch.

Is it a pipe dream or should I go for it? Has anyone fought the beast and won? Any words of wisdom?

I want to make sure I can smash it, seeing as how you have to prepay.

http://www.bigtexan.com/72ozlive.htm

Smoke some weed.

I say go for it. Hell, you only live once. I ate there once years ago. I didn’t have the guts to take on the 72oz. bastard though. Good luck.

I would workout hard before hand and skip a meal or two, 4lbs of meat is not that much you should do it fine.

“The youngest person to eat the steak was an 11 year-old boy.”

“The oldest person to eat the steak was a 69 year-old grandmother.”

If you can’t do it delete your T-Nation account.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
They put you up on a stage and you get to eat in front of everybody. You have to eat the sides too, not just the steak, in order to get the free meal.
[/quote]

I ate there for the first time back in January. Oddly enough, it was with my old college room mate from Montana. God, I hope that’s not the image foreigners have of Texans. Over priced touristy crap.

Yeah, you have to eat all of the sides which includes a shrimp cocktail, potato, and salad - I think.

Anyhow conorh - If you want a real steak, and guaranteed free - PM me. My wife and I are going to be in Amarillo all damn day. We can meat up for lunch if you want.

You’re PM’ed RJ. It’s too bad if our schedules and what-not conflict, it’d be cool to meet another T-man out on the road.

I grew up about 30 minutes outside Branson, Mo so I have a deep resentment of things touristy. One of my favorite places is a little town in Rains County, out in East Texas, where I’ve slept about 400 yards away under the lights from a new gas mine, spent all day drinking whisky under a shade tree while newlyweds stop by to celebrate, pulled tractors out of the gumbo and gone dancing in little redneck dives. That’s Texas to me.

My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.[/quote]

I don’t know if it’s their cooking method, or what, but I had a 20oz. ribeye that was so tough they should have cut it up and used it for hockey pucks. And that was medium rare

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’ve been there twice. Watched the ordeal. Didn’t participate.

They put you up on a stage and you get to eat in front of everybody. You have to eat the sides too, not just the steak, in order to get the free meal.

I have a great story about a friend who was with me both times and married our waitress a few months later. We went there, met her, and came back the following night because she and he hit it off the first night.

She just ran off and left him last summer after 10 years of hell on earth. Gold diggin’, cheatin’ bitch if there ever was one.

Anyway, that’s the Cliff Notes version of my visits to the Big Texan.[/quote]

Push always has the best stories.

The thing I don’t like about it is the time limit(at least there is a time limit at Texas Roadhouse here). I think I could handle the thing no problem, but not in under ten minutes. What the hell is the point of eating if you can’t enjoy it?

I’m all about that place with the 10 pound burger.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
pushharder wrote:
I’ve been there twice. Watched the ordeal. Didn’t participate.

They put you up on a stage and you get to eat in front of everybody. You have to eat the sides too, not just the steak, in order to get the free meal.

I have a great story about a friend who was with me both times and married our waitress a few months later. We went there, met her, and came back the following night because she and he hit it off the first night.

She just ran off and left him last summer after 10 years of hell on earth. Gold diggin’, cheatin’ bitch if there ever was one.

Anyway, that’s the Cliff Notes version of my visits to the Big Texan.

Push always has the best stories.

The thing I don’t like about it is the time limit(at least there is a time limit at Texas Roadhouse here). I think I could handle the thing no problem, but not in under ten minutes. What the hell is the point of eating if you can’t enjoy it?

I’m all about that place with the 10 pound burger.

First of all, it’s not 10 minutes at the Big Texan. I can’t remember exactly but it’s plenty of time.

Regarding the waitress my buddy married, it was good for a few months. Met her in January '98. We (wife and I) went skiing with them at Taos a couple of months after we met her. I went to their wedding in June of that year. That Christmas she flew back to Colorado where she was from and cheated on him. Yeah, six months after the “I do” she was receiving “penetrative sex” (a new term I learned yesterday over at the University of the SAMA) from an old boyfriend.

Last summer my friend told me that 45 minutes before their wedding began she was sitting in the bedroom with no makeup on, no hair done and no wedding dress on. Sitting there looking depressed.

She had confided in my wife a couple of times a few years ago that she was disappointed that my buddy didn’t have the money she thought he had when he was courting her.

There. Now you have the slightly expanded version. If I told you some more things she did to him it would blow you away.[/quote]

I almost am.

Damnit Push, you always have something interesting to post.

/hijack

i did this make sure when you eat you lubricate everything to go down easier rj is right shits tough

[quote]rsg wrote:
pushharder wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
pushharder wrote:
I’ve been there twice. Watched the ordeal. Didn’t participate.

They put you up on a stage and you get to eat in front of everybody. You have to eat the sides too, not just the steak, in order to get the free meal.

I have a great story about a friend who was with me both times and married our waitress a few months later. We went there, met her, and came back the following night because she and he hit it off the first night.

She just ran off and left him last summer after 10 years of hell on earth. Gold diggin’, cheatin’ bitch if there ever was one.

Anyway, that’s the Cliff Notes version of my visits to the Big Texan.

Push always has the best stories.

The thing I don’t like about it is the time limit(at least there is a time limit at Texas Roadhouse here). I think I could handle the thing no problem, but not in under ten minutes. What the hell is the point of eating if you can’t enjoy it?

I’m all about that place with the 10 pound burger.

First of all, it’s not 10 minutes at the Big Texan. I can’t remember exactly but it’s plenty of time.

Regarding the waitress my buddy married, it was good for a few months. Met her in January '98. We (wife and I) went skiing with them at Taos a couple of months after we met her. I went to their wedding in June of that year. That Christmas she flew back to Colorado where she was from and cheated on him. Yeah, six months after the “I do” she was receiving “penetrative sex” (a new term I learned yesterday over at the University of the SAMA) from an old boyfriend.

Last summer my friend told me that 45 minutes before their wedding began she was sitting in the bedroom with no makeup on, no hair done and no wedding dress on. Sitting there looking depressed.

She had confided in my wife a couple of times a few years ago that she was disappointed that my buddy didn’t have the money she thought he had when he was courting her.

There. Now you have the slightly expanded version. If I told you some more things she did to him it would blow you away.

I almost am.

Damnit Push, you always have something interesting to post.

/hijack[/quote]

Holy crap! Tell more if you feel like sharing. Sucks big time ass for you buddy though.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.

I don’t know if it’s their cooking method, or what, but I had a 20oz. ribeye that was so tough they should have cut it up and used it for hockey pucks. And that was medium rare [/quote]

I think they use crap meat then. I get two pound porterhouses from a local small grocer and they’re great. Hell, even Weis markets here has some good meat.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.

I don’t know if it’s their cooking method, or what, but I had a 20oz. ribeye that was so tough they should have cut it up and used it for hockey pucks. And that was medium rare

I think they use crap meat then. I get two pound porterhouses from a local small grocer and they’re great. Hell, even Weis markets here has some good meat.

[/quote]

I used to get my steaks from the grocer here in town. Hand cut ribeyes. His meat was so aged he’d have to cut the green mold off before he started slicing. A four year-old could over cook the crap out of them, and you could still cut it with a fork.

Too bad his store burned to the ground. Haven’t had a steak that good in almost 5 years.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.

I don’t know if it’s their cooking method, or what, but I had a 20oz. ribeye that was so tough they should have cut it up and used it for hockey pucks. And that was medium rare

I think they use crap meat then. I get two pound porterhouses from a local small grocer and they’re great. Hell, even Weis markets here has some good meat.

I used to get my steaks from the grocer here in town. Hand cut ribeyes. His meat was so aged he’d have to cut the green mold off before he started slicing. A four year-old could over cook the crap out of them, and you could still cut it with a fork.

Too bad his store burned to the ground. Haven’t had a steak that good in almost 5 years. [/quote]

Most places here in Pa, grocery store wise have at least good meat. some little places have great meat. I think this place sounds lke a tourist trap and uses crap.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
My only concern is the quality of the steak you’re going to get. shits and giggles says to do it, but the steak lover thinks there has to be a better steak out there than you’re going to get.

I don’t know if it’s their cooking method, or what, but I had a 20oz. ribeye that was so tough they should have cut it up and used it for hockey pucks. And that was medium rare

I think they use crap meat then. I get two pound porterhouses from a local small grocer and they’re great. Hell, even Weis markets here has some good meat.

I used to get my steaks from the grocer here in town. Hand cut ribeyes. His meat was so aged he’d have to cut the green mold off before he started slicing. A four year-old could over cook the crap out of them, and you could still cut it with a fork.

Too bad his store burned to the ground. Haven’t had a steak that good in almost 5 years.

Most places here in Pa, grocery store wise have at least good meat. some little places have great meat. I think this place sounds lke a tourist trap and uses crap.

[/quote]

It gives limo rides in limos with horns attached to the hood. Tourist Trap? No way.

I tried two years ago with a friend and failed. Too much other shit to eat. Besides the steak sucked ass. When you have to use a steak sauce you know its a weak ass steak!