My current schedule for eating around my workout looks something like:

During workout:
50g CHO (gatorade powder, aka dextrose)
25g PRO (whey concentrate)

After workout
50g dextrose
25g whey
(same thing)

This comes out to about 600 calories! Now, I am only 5’8 and 160lbs. Although I am trying to do OVT (which is high volume), I kind of feel like someof these calories might be better consumed during my 1st PWO meal an hour later (I usually eat oatmeal, cereals, egg whites, chicken, tuna, and protein powder in this 1st meal), or maybe evenmy 2nd PWO meal (which I make P+F because it’s around 8:00, and I tend to put on fat easily).

For someone of my size, how large a shake is reccomended? Is 600kcals overkill?

i’ve been using this protocal to gain weight but i’m not sure if this would work for everyone since i don’t gain fat easily.

pre-workout: one scoop surge in water

post-workout: 55g malto, 55g dextrose, 46g whey protein, creatine

1 hour after post workout: high carb (low glycemic)/high protein meal

I’m using the same PWO meal as you ccardill, just not the same workout shakes.

I’m just starting to think 600 calories out of 3,000ish total (for my daily total calories) is kind of a lot.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

i forgot to add that i use 16oz of milk in my postworkout shake which brings it to around 750 calories. then my meal about an hour later is around 750 calories as well. so my total calories within a hour and a half of my workout is 1500kcal. imo, the two most important aspects of gaining weight is eating consistantly and postworkout nutrition.

You should be cramming down the calories post workout. It’s the ideal time and will help you grow big time. I put away 1/3 of the days calories PW yesterday.

you may wanna watch consuming milk with pre and post workout drinks cause of the gastric emptying effect that milk is involved with.

“you may wanna watch consuming milk with pre and post workout drinks cause of the gastric emptying effect that milk is involved with.”

not sure exactly what you mean by gatric emptying effect. i though milk was good in a post workout drink since it induces an insulin response.

He means that a huge PW shake with most of its calories coming from milk can give you the shits.