Big Pharma and Big Media

It is a shame that people treat their doctors like demi-gods, when most are merely megaphones for Big Pharma.

Changing reality is possible but difficult. Big food are doing their best to produce inexpensive garbage without regard to the effect theyā€™re having on the population. As long as they get your money, then who cares about doing something honorable. What current long term studies have included the epigenetic component? If you want to live in the past that is your choice.

And Epigenetics make a bigger difference.

I agree that epigenetics matters. (we agreeā€¦ :open_mouth:)

Donā€™tā€¦the universe might implode (I agree too)ā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

The first sentence in the NIH conclusion of a study of Epigenetics. The current obesity epidemic is clearly not of genetic origin per se, but due to unfavourable changes in lifestyle and environment (the ā€˜obesogenicā€™ environment). The obesogenic environment has different effects on different individuals in the same environment, highlighting an underlying, inherited susceptibility to obesity and fat-distribution.

No. If you consume more calories than you burn you gain weight.

Environments are not ā€œobesogenicā€, behaviors are. Otherwise anorexic people couldnā€™t starve to death with an abundance of food around them.

And what shapes behaviors? So people ought to listen to you instead of NIH?

Do you trust big pharma and the government or not? Youā€™re sending mixed messages here.

1 Like

I beg to differ. Ask any fat chick. Sheā€™ll tell you. If one of them gets anywhere near a snack table the suddenly gain 10 lbs.

Obviously it is like osmosis. :grin:

3 Likes

This is one of the most delicious things about Zep. He wants the government to have super strict laws on food labels to make sure no one ingests a GMO without their knowledge, but he wants to gut the FDA approval process for drugs so any olā€™ charlatan can sell their snake oilā€¦er, stem cell therapy. These are 100% contrary positions.

2 Likes

Impulse control has a major genetic component

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2012/08/the-heritability-of-impulse-control/#.WSHHOYEpCaN

So your argument is that certain genetic groups canā€™t control their impulses because genes? Individuals arenā€™t responsible for their choices (external locus of control)?

Well Iā€™ll be. @therajraj is a political liberal.

Cognitive dissonance tell: reframing an argument as an absolute so they can refute it

Bro you posted meta analysis of loosely related observational studies. Weak, weak sauce.

I was merely pointing out that if your point is that certain groups of people are genetically inferior from birth and have no opportunity for parityā€¦ then the only rational/moral conclusion is that the ā€œsuperior racesā€ should support and make decisions for the inferior ones. Sound like central planning and redistribution?

You are a liberal. Itā€™s okay.

Edit : misread your posts

The solution would be to acknowledge the actual science and being brutally honest

The first step would be stop the constant dysgenic programs the US government has in place :

1. welfare. Welfare encourages the worst people to reproduce while disncentivizing the smartest people from reproducing by redistributing their wages

2. stop importing low iq immigrants. High iq people are much less likely to be obese

I also wonder from an environmental perspective : how has the mass subsidies given to feedlot agribusiness effected food quality?

The solution if one exists, is less government not more

My distrust is not absolute. Big Pharma doesnā€™t have absolute control over the government agencies designed to exercise some restraint on their excesses.

What a derelict! He equates stem cell therapy with snake oil, even though itā€™s been successful thousands of times over. Wow, how dare I want food to be labeled properly so the public can choose to purchase . As anyone can seeā€‹ these are not contradictory.