Big Mike's Hall of Iron

Ok people, I’m out of here for tonight. I’ll be back on tomorrow at the same time; see you then!

Stay strong
MR

Ok people, I’m back for Round 2 this week. Feel free to fire away!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Ok people, I’m back for Round 2 this week. Feel free to fire away!

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Hey there big guy.

Couple questions:

1. On my deadlift, I seem to have a problem keeping my shoulders behind the bar. I attribute this to too much motor learning towards the O-lifts. What do you personally do when this situation arises?

Also, my shins get pretty banged up too. Your thoughts?

1. After suffering knee pain, I began to do myofasical release on my IT band and worked to hypertrophy the VMO. The pain has subsided, but now when the knee is in full flexion, (constantly there; i.e. bottom clean or jiu-jitsu for me) I feel tightness and pain that extends through the lateral and anterior compartments of the lower leg. I figure I might be compressing the common peroneal (or fibular) nerve, but I don’t know how it would be happening.

I’m sure you would have to ask questions about the rest of the situation, so please ask me.

Mike,

When performing Good Mornings, can you change you foot position to hit different parts of the hammy, same with RDL’s?
Just having a debate with training partner.

For example, turn toes out slightly.

Thanks

D

Hey Mike. Just wanted to thank you for the Old School Triceps article awhile back. Ive been using it for a couple months, and have never had’em so strong. A couple questions though: on a close grip bench press, do the elbows come straight down, or are they allowed to flare out a little? its very difficult to keep them straight.

Also on bench presses, Im starting to feel a dull but strong pain in my left wrist, but only when extending all the way back or all the way forward. Tendonitis? Thanks alot Mike.

Hey Mike, i had acl surgery on my left knee a year and a half ago, i did the rehab, but now i’m finding that my right hip gets very sore whenever i play basketball or run, what exercises would you presribe to fix this problem? thanks for your help

Practicing proper technique with lighter weights (e.g. speed pulls) would be a great tool for motor learning. You have to consistently repeat the proper motor program to re-write the old one. As far as the shins go, I would at minimum get some longer socks; you can even throw in shin guards if it’s a huge issue.

Anterior lateral knee pain is a toughie; just some thoughts are that the TFL/ITB, vastus lateralis or lateral retinaculum are tight, pulling the patella laterally. Sometimes people feel lateral knee pain and automatically assume it’s in the front, but the calves, hammies and popliteus can be inflammed/adhered as well. Try rolling all of these and perhaps getting some MFR on the lateral retinaculum to see if this doesn’t clear it up.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]the MaxX wrote:

1. On my deadlift, I seem to have a problem keeping my shoulders behind the bar. I attribute this to too much motor learning towards the O-lifts. What do you personally do when this situation arises?

Also, my shins get pretty banged up too. Your thoughts?

1. After suffering knee pain, I began to do myofasical release on my IT band and worked to hypertrophy the VMO. The pain has subsided, but now when the knee is in full flexion, (constantly there; i.e. bottom clean or jiu-jitsu for me) I feel tightness and pain that extends through the lateral and anterior compartments of the lower leg. I figure I might be compressing the common peroneal (or fibular) nerve, but I don’t know how it would be happening.

I’m sure you would have to ask questions about the rest of the situation, so please ask me.
[/quote]

Toe position, as well as stance width, can change the musculature recruited. For instance a wide stance with toes out (e.g. a sumo deadlift) will increase adductor recruitment.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]deadly69 wrote:
Mike,

When performing Good Mornings, can you change you foot position to hit different parts of the hammy, same with RDL’s?
Just having a debate with training partner.

For example, turn toes out slightly.

Thanks

D[/quote]

No problem bro. It was actually my first piece published here at T-mag, so I’m pretty proud of it!

On close grips you want to minimize the degree of elbow flare; as you fatigue they’ll come out some, but I try to tuck them as much as possible throughout the movement.

As far as the wrist goes, it’s impossible to tell without being able to check you out. You might have just strained a ligament; you feel the strain when you move one way, and you get compression pain when moving in the opposite direction. These injuries can be a real pain (I’ve had one before) so get it checked out and if possible get some ART done.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Janoski wrote:
Hey Mike. Just wanted to thank you for the Old School Triceps article awhile back. Ive been using it for a couple months, and have never had’em so strong. A couple questions though: on a close grip bench press, do the elbows come straight down, or are they allowed to flare out a little? its very difficult to keep them straight.

Also on bench presses, Im starting to feel a dull but strong pain in my left wrist, but only when extending all the way back or all the way forward. Tendonitis? Thanks alot Mike.[/quote]

It sounds like your left leg isn’t doing it’s fair share of the work; because of this your right hip is taking that workload and being overused. Check out my “Single Leg Supplements” article and add in some of the exercises on your low body days. If you find that your left leg is significantly weaker, do more sets/rep on that side until it gets with the program. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]iceman187 wrote:
Hey Mike, i had acl surgery on my left knee a year and a half ago, i did the rehab, but now i’m finding that my right hip gets very sore whenever i play basketball or run, what exercises would you presribe to fix this problem? thanks for your help[/quote]

Anyone have a link to the MR tricep article?

Hey Mike,

I really like the program you laid out in your article ‘The Quest for Size and Strength’…(at Rugged)

Since some time has gone by since you penned it, is there anything in there you would change?

Thanks,
Zak

Here you go boss!

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=264tri2

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Anyone have a link to the MR tricep article?[/quote]

Glad you liked it. I wouldn’t necessarily change anything, as it’s just a general program.

Depending on the person I was writing it for, though, I may add/subtract sets, reps, exercises, etc. depending upon their needs and goals. In general, it’s a pretty well rounded program and will help you get stronger.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Ramo wrote:
Hey Mike,

I really like the program you laid out in your article ‘The Quest for Size and Strength’…(at Rugged)

Since some time has gone by since you penned it, is there anything in there you would change?

Thanks,
Zak [/quote]

What is your favorite bench specialization routine? Do you have one?

Just a little snippet: Best part of my day today? When the FedEx guy rolled in with a box of 36 Grow! Bars for my binging pleasure. I guess Cy didn’t end up eating them after all!

Stay strong
MR

Hey Mike I was wondering if you could help me design a program that includes bands, chains, kettlebells, 1 arm DB snatches and some compound lifts. I am doing one more BB show in 3 weeks and would like to changegears and thicken up for a couple of months.

I train not like a normal BB. I still do heavy deads and that kinda stuff however I would like some help including the stuff I talked about above. I have access to all of it and would like to thicken esp in the trap, lats and legs.Thanks

I think Westside is really good for a raw bencher; however, I don’t compete raw. I’ve been loosely using the Metal Militia program and really like it so far. With any program I’m going to tweak it to fit my needs, so it’s a little different than what they espouse.

Now all I need to do is get dialed in with a good bench shirt and I’m ready to rock! My bench has been frustrating, but I’m on the right path…just need to get a few things cleaned up!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]fedaykin wrote:
What is your favorite bench specialization routine? Do you have one?[/quote]

Ok people, I’m out of here. If you’ve got questions, send them to Barr: I don’t think he’s got enough to do these days! :wink:

Stay strong
MR