Big Jez' Training Log

Signed pro junior contracts within league and afl
Nationally represented in those sports, and union
State level in plenty others
Was checking out the numbers that would qualify me for national comps and I’m in them already, minus deads but it’s within touching distance

1 Like

Only one way to find out how good you are mate. Good luck

1 Like

My input would be pick the closet comp within three months and do it. That’s your baseline. Work from there.

1 Like

you have alot more experience than i do and knowledge but i’ll have to disagree with regards to athletic potential, i mean jez:

he’s 7 foot tall also, so like a freaking giant. pretty damn gifted for wsm.

True.

Flip raises a very valid point
Without me having ever graced a SM comp, I really am just speculating how anything I’ve achieved so far will flow over into those comps
I’ve outlined a comp in Feb next year in Sydney that by the looks of things will be the first comp

I’ve seen this program designed on eliteFTS
Not sure if it’s reputable but it’s been transferred for 531 but changed the core lifts to deads front squats OHP and cleans
Any advice on a program for me to run would be greatly appreciated
I was tempted just to bite the bullet and buy thors program he has that was designed along side with his coach
@duketheslaya @flipcollar @T3hPwnisher

the thing about that is, it was designed for Thor, who has a whole team of people behind him, so all aspects of his training,nutrition and recovery are the best of the best + the use of AAS . It’s getting advertised the heck out of. honestly i just think it’s something to make money.

a couple of people have recommended it to me in my log, they got good results from it. i couldn’t say how good it is personally though.

I do know a guy (have met) that quite a few people in Aus, and nz, heck even a couple in the us (Strongman mainly) get coached by. he’s quite reputable and very good at what he does. strong af too. if you have a spare $50 a week i couldn’t recommend a better online coach.

2 Likes

Strongman isn’t only about height though; most wsm winners have been around 6’4", some have been 6’6". Hafthor is like 6’8’ and there was one guy who was 7’ tall, but those guys are a lot rarer.

You also need to have a massive frame and thick joints to carry a lot of body mass and to be able to support heavy loads.

2 Likes

Thats true. Jez doesnt appear to have a small frame though…

I know but It does help. Eddie hall struggled to keep up with guys like brian or hafthor simply because he wasn’t as tall/Sized as they are. He had to carry there weight at his size in order to win WSM.

1 Like

Compared to the top guys he definitely has a smaller frame. Of course jez could be a hyperresponder to drugs and get massive frame gains as well.

That’s true. Weighting nearly 200 kilos can’t be easy, let alone if you’re not 6’6" or more. The guys were lighter I’m the 80s and 90s, which could explain a part of why so many of them were 6’4" or so.

Let’s just stop for a while and appreciate the fact that the guys are really weighting 200 kilos up there. That’s fucking mind boggling.

2 Likes

I always thought where Eddie H struggled it was because guys like Brian and Halfthor are very athletic, whereas he isn’t so much. Static was always his strength and whenever a lot of movement was involved he didn’t have an advantage.

I think Eddie also has a decent amount of athleticism, he was a British record holder for swimming as a teenager so was no sloth. it’s just that he had to carry the same weight as them on a much smaller chassis.

1 Like

Yeah i was referring to the weight he had to carry, although eddie himself has admitted hes statically undefeatable but his athleticism let him down (don’t get me wrong, he’s still athletic af like simo said but not on the level someone like brian is)

1 Like

Yeah. If you look at when they first started their frames were alot smaller though.

It’s insane. Especially the amount of food they have to eat

1 Like

I have never really used a particular program for strongman. I would just make 5/3/1 the base and then modify from there off the needs of that particular comp.

I have heard good things about the Cube Method for Strongman by Josh Thigpen, but can’t personally vouch for it.

1 Like

Strongman isn’t much different than any other sport (hold on, guys). Train to get strong on big basic movements that are similar to your competition. Identify weak links and isolate them. Do event work so you learn to transfer your strength to the sport.

If that last part isn’t there then you could easily fail. Some people never learn to transfer their ability to a sport.

That’s true of all programs.

You’re all correct. I think Eddie is a natural athlete but weighing 200 kg at his height diminished his abilities.

@anon96032531, just browse Alpha’s stuff. I bet he has a free program to try. Other than that, just look around here. There are a couple successful competitors right here in your log. It seems to me that @T3hPwnisher just likes to get brutally strong and then practice the events. He wasn’t gifted with the frame of a WSM but the guy does pretty damn good with what he has. Mindset and effort can go a long way (as long as the body holds up).

3 Likes

That’s not really accurate. Eddie struggled because he’s slow. Moving events were always his achilles heel, even before he got huge. Stones are the one event where height really matters, and Eddie is a monster with stones, his height is not a detriment there in the least. Guys like Licis and Kieslekowski are keeping up with Shaw and Thor on most events, and they aren’t over 6’5. And their static strength is rapidly approaching those guys too, at much lower bodyweights.

Once you get to about 6’3 or so, height really doesn’t matter much. It’s nice to have a couple extra inches of height on things like bag over bar, but overall, it’s not the huge advantage I think some people make it out to be, at least past a certain point. To be a top pro, you basically just need enough height to load stones to the highest competition platforms.

As has already been mentioned, we have yet to see a 7’ tall competitor in the top ranks of strongman. It’s rare enough to see guys who can fill their frame out at 6’7 and above. We currently have exactly 2 men in the world right now who have done it. The vast majority of pro strongmen are 6’0-6’6.

I’d love to see Jez kick some ass in the strongman world. I just tend to pump the brakes anytime I see something like ‘he’s got potential to be a top competitor’. There’s a dude named Dylan Lockard here in the US who just competed in America’s Strongest Man. Placed top 5 I believe, and he’s only been training for like 2 years. I believe he’s 6’7. So anything is possible, you just won’t know until you start competing.

I’ll definitely be following!

4 Likes

Ted van der Parre won WSM in -92, and he is 7’ tall, that’s the expection to the rule.

2 Likes

thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware of that. very cool, I just pulled up the video of the contest. I’ll be watching it this afternoon, I’m wondering what the events were, and where he was most successful.

The sport is very different from what it was in the early 90’s, but that’s still an interesting example to point out!

3 Likes

just finished watching that contest… man. It’s a totally different sport today. They did some weird events back then! Van Der Parre actually had to pull his truck twice because it got stuck on a piece of wood on the road the first time, lol! There was also a ‘carry 5 kegs through a foot of water on the beach and fog’ event.

4 Likes

Sounds like today’s WSM is getting soft :joy:

1 Like