Big Jez' Training Log

Woke this morning at 124.6.
It’s a weird mind set going from losing weight to trying to gain muscle and seeing the scale move up, I immediately freak out even though looking in the mirror I actually look leaner than yesterday’s pics. It’ll take some time to getting used too but setting little goals wil help.
I have my measurements from about 4 weeks ago written down somewhere that I’ll post in a little while and take some more and compare, but as long as the belly is going down and the chest is going up I don’t really mind.
Diet will be same as yesterday, berries seemed to work a treat however I did come off a carb refeed the night before and I wasn’t craving, today… not so much.

1 Like

Still trying to think of something that makes me notice my lower chest. I think dips are about it, and even then it’s minor in terms of lower chest being noticeable. I’ve heard decline bench is good though, now I think about it.

Yeah they are both in my itenery
I think it’s because it’s really the last place the fat goes on your chest it’s more noticeable
Not gyro or anything but still noticeable non the less

you’ve never tried decline bench? Best chest builder there is, in my opinion.

1 Like

Well then. I know what’s getting rotated in next swap - it’ll replace DB bench.

1 Like

I don’t usually use the smith machine, but decline bench is one thing I really like to use on it.

1 Like

I agree, the smith machine is a brilliant tool when trying to isolate areas, didn’t even think of it for incline and declines. I would probably use it as a finisher of sorts, possibly 3x12/15 as I’m usually pretty spent at the end of a heavy chest session
Good thinking lads!

Inclines makes my shoulders feel funky unless the bench is set up perfect. Decline seems to have more of a margin of error imo

1 Like

I’ve read an article somewhere that if you have rotator cuff issues that incline can flare them up?
Not sure of the validity of that but could be food for thought

1 Like

Valid I think. I need to be very very careful with incline. If I get it right it’s fine but I have a very slim margin of error before my shoulders get upset.

1 Like

Any barbell pressing will knock lumps out of your rotator cuff.

This is where I’m curious to what other people do for their shoulder exercises. For me personally, I’ve managed to get pretty quick strength gains from not doing too much rep work, just increase weight.
I’ve always had a limit of around 10 working sets and I’ve not had much drama with my shoulders. Perhaps it could be the fact I haven’t had as much time under the bar compared to you all that I might be lucky, but my shoulders only really get standing military press, delt flyes, face pulls and side lateral raises as pretty shoulder specific exercises.
Curious to what others have experienced and what works for them…

Pinning EOD works well…

Srsly tho I do pretty much what you mentioned, progressively overloading the exercises. Along with some mobility and prehab kinda stuff.:

Well it’s something that seems to be overlooked especially by beginners that any exercise with progressive overload will either gain strength or size
Just really the matter of finding each persons sweet spot

1 Like

Finished my arvo workout.
Thursdays are usually a HIIT day in a class that I attend with my partner, and today it was with a PT who was a former military trainer who thinks crossfit aspects of HIIT are ridiculous which I don’t mind, I’ll take a strict pull up or military press over a kip up or push press any day.

1st phase
10x 30 hand release push ups/20 80kg front squats/10 pull ups
2nd phase
1rep and increasing up to 12 reps (1/2/3/4/5/6 etc reps) then back down to 1
burpees/box jumps/ball slam/wall ball
3rd phase
Max effort clean and press (70kgs) for 7 mins
EMOM 200m run
Max effort deadlifts (170kgs) for 7 mins
EMOM 10 cal assault bike

Was feeling a little cheeky and decided to do some leg work trying to emphasise quads
(By the way, any outer quad exercises you know work awesome would be greatly appreciated)
5x15 at 140kgs close foot hack squats really keeping the legs and knees together
4x 20 metres weighted lunges with a 50kg vest and 20kg kettle bells
Was spent afterwards
Craving KFC or something deep fried
#lovereactforjeztoeatwickedwings

2 Likes

Careful I heard you lose 1g of muscle every time you mention crossfit.
Crossfit

Ded

Bad news mane. I don’t think emphasizing the vastus lateralis is a thing. Personally I’d like more vastus medialis for dem leg aesthetics but I’m 80% sweep.

It is hard for you tho because you some giraffe looking motherfucker so proportions wise you’d need a lot of mass to look full/round. Aside from just packing on more mass is there any quad exercises or movement that you haven’t trained much or are weak in? e.g. if Front Squats aren’t getting much love

#SHWlyf

1 Like

I dont know about outer quad exercises but if you want some quad gainzz then Smith machine front squats are the way to go. I did these for a while and noticed how much bigger they made my quads. If my current gyms smith machine wasn’t so shitty id still do them.

1 Like
1 Like

The medalius is the outside of the quad yes?

1 Like

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=medialis&oq=medialis&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l4j0.3186j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8