T Nation

Big Inballance

Okay so my bench and my rows seem to be on the same level which is good and all but i have a big problem… my deads are about twice as strong as my squat. why could this be? i was thinking maybe because i play so much hockey but i really have no clue.

I’m in a similar situation. My deadlift has always been far ahead of my squat. I think part of it has to do with my build, short legs, long arms. So I’m a natural with deadlifts. Not to mention that my upper back is very strong, so once I break the plane with my leg strength off the floor, I can easily pull to lockout.

Depending on how you squat, there may or may not be a strong correlation between the lifts.

Wow, I could cut & paste Nate’s response.

I think I may have a weak link somewhere in my squat, maybe my lower back. I can use 3X as much weight on the Leg Press than what I squat.

Hockey player as well…and the same problem. If I can get it an Inch off the ground I can get it all the way to lockout.

It could also depend upon how familiar you are with the exercise…I started doing squats long before I even knew what a deadlift was. So my squat is very heavy and about 3 times what my deadlift is…

often times, people deadlift a lot more than they squat because they need to gain weight

Maybe you just have weak quads?
:-/

How the hell can you compare leg press to squats?!!?!?!
that just fukn stupid.

Uhm i started to squat way before i deadlifted and my squats are much weaker.

And another hockey player here. Same problem. As of tonight, I’m deadlifting 405 (proud of myself), but I doubt I could squat 2/3 of that. It’s primarily a case of quadriceps weakness, so I’ve discovered.

Long legs, long arms, 180 lbs for reference.

DI

Bobo, it’s because you’re a tall ecto. Your deadlift will always be better than your squat. End of story.

I’ve been deadlifting for 8 months and its already over 100 lbs more than my squat, and I also play hockey, but I’m also a tall lanky bastard. I box squatted since i started deadlifting too and my squat has barely changed, so I am also awaiting an answer…

Char you had better watch out, i’ve been getting a lot of compliments on my ass lately. =)