Big Headphones

Lately in my gym, where small earbuds attached to mp3 players were the norm, there are a lot more big ass headphones. Is this some kind of nat’l thing, only local? I don’t get the why… I never use music of any sort.

Big can headphones are the rage everywhere. I wish they forgot about Dre.

It is a marketing genius thing, and it is the reason why Dr. Dre makes more than the next 26 entertainers combined on a list of hip hop’s biggest earners.

They are basically Air Jordans for your head that happen to play music.

I think people look ridiculous wearing them and they’re crazy expensive, but to each their own I guess. BOSE products are just as good if not better from what I’ve heard, but they aren’t as stylish. The Air Jordan comparison was pretty spot on.

To me it looks like 70s roller skate movie throw back

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
To me it looks like 70s roller skate movie throw back[/quote]

Beats by Dre (the popular big headphones) is owned by Apple.

Anything by Apple is automatically considered hip nowadays.

Never understood the use of big headphones as a portable product, especially in the gym. More for late time listening at home when noise is an issue.

Most of them don’t sound very good either. There’s a few that do all right, but Beats definitely doesn’t.

The Sol Republic ones sound all right, and are actually nice and flexible and fairly gym-friendly. All of the Sony’s are meh, but better than Beats. The Marshalls actually sounded pretty good, but I wouldn’t use them in the gym.

My completely non-professional opinion of having listened to them off and on at the demo stations at Best Buy and Target.

I did go on a date once with an audio engineer at Klipsch who worked on their headphone line, for whatever that’s worth.

I would never sweat my ass off in a pair of $150 headphones. And they look douchey.

Big ass headphones are all the rage now for guys that wear black socks up to their calves and gym shorts everywhere they go.

The music player used to be big and the headphones small, now the headphones are big and the music player is tiny.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I did go on a date once with an audio engineer at Klipsch who worked on their headphone line, for whatever that’s worth.[/quote]

I love my tiny Klipsch buds.

Boze is the best ones I have tried but they are over 300 I think. Cant justify paying that much but if you are going to buy the Dre’s you are just buying them for a status symbol and nothing more.

I have a pair of Sennheisers that are about 15 years old. They’ve broken once or twice (I stepped on them once) and the company repaired them for free, so I’m a fan.

Not so great for portability, though… they really suck up the battery power.

I would love to use a set of large headphones, the sound can be incredible. But I fear that the amount that I sweat would either ruin or just make them downright nasty over time.

The Bang and Olufsen H6 sounds amazing.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would love to use a set of large headphones, the sound can be incredible. But I fear that the amount that I sweat would either ruin or just make them downright nasty over time.

The Bang and Olufsen H6 sounds amazing. [/quote]

I had never considered this, but now that you have brought it up, every time I see someone wearing BEATS headphones at the gym all I’m gonna be able to think about is how gross they must be by now.

I’ve got a set of beats (not the huge ones, but they cover the whole ear). They’re awesome. I would never wear them while working out though. No fucking way.

I bought a pair of the Dre beats earbuds that are pretty sweet. They sound good and stay in my ears. Tried the Bose sie2 earbuds and they wouldn’t stay in my ears.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I’ve got a set of beats (not the huge ones, but they cover the whole ear). They’re awesome. I would never wear them while working out though. No fucking way. [/quote]

totally unrelated, where did you get that heavy bag in your garage gym there? Do you think it’d be a good idea to hang one from a ceiling mounted chinup bar?

[quote]SuperVillian wrote:
I think people look ridiculous wearing them and they’re crazy expensive, but to each their own I guess. BOSE products are just as good if not better from what I’ve heard, but they aren’t as stylish. The Air Jordan comparison was pretty spot on. [/quote]

Bose are just, if not more, expensive than the Beats by Dre headphones.

I never got the impression that they were a status symbol. They sound better, and sound more “comfortable” than in ear headphones. Noise cancelling is great so that you don’t have to blare your music to hear it when you’re out and about.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]SuperVillian wrote:
I think people look ridiculous wearing them and they’re crazy expensive, but to each their own I guess. BOSE products are just as good if not better from what I’ve heard, but they aren’t as stylish. The Air Jordan comparison was pretty spot on. [/quote]

Bose are just, if not more, expensive than the Beats by Dre headphones.[/quote]

I know, but you look ‘cooler’ with BEATS, its like Galaxy vs. IPhone, Functionality vs. Style, that’s what I meant.