Big Guys Don't Squat and Deadlift

How come none of the big guys at my gym squat or deadlift? I have been going to the same gym for 4 years and I have NEVER seen a big guy squat, and Ive seen literally two big guys deadlift, but I happen to know they were powerlifters. Is it because most big muscular guys have had some sort of injury over the years so they scrapped squatting and deadlifting? Or is it because theyve already “paid their dues” and opted for less taxing exercises as they got older?

You should ask them.

[quote]gregron wrote:
You should ask them.[/quote]

/thread

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
How come none of the big guys at my gym squat or deadlift? I have been going to the same gym for 4 years and I have NEVER seen a big guy squat[/quote]
I’ve been at my current gym about two years. Thinking about it, most of the biggest/best developed guys there seem to use the power squat machine as their “main” leg exercise. What that’s supposed to mean to you or I, I’m not sure.

The easiest way to get an answer would be to ask them, preferably between sets or after they’ve finished training, but I’d lean towards option B - they might not squat or deadlift now, but probably did at some point.

Again though, is that going to effect your training? Do what works best for you. If you’re squatting and deadlifting and are happy with the progress you’re seeing, I wouldn’t ditch them just because other guys did.

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
How come none of the big guys at my gym squat or deadlift? I have been going to the same gym for 4 years and I have NEVER seen a big guy squat, and Ive seen literally two big guys deadlift, but I happen to know they were powerlifters. Is it because most big muscular guys have had some sort of injury over the years so they scrapped squatting and deadlifting? Or is it because theyve already “paid their dues” and opted for less taxing exercises as they got older?[/quote]

it could be either. An IFBB pro recommended that once you get your squat and deadlift to 2x your bodyweight, you should begin to look into other ways to maximize hypertrophy since you have built a strong structural base.

that being said, squats are essential for leg growth IMO. Deadlifts? that’s questionable

Maybe they are scared of setting off the Lunk Alarm.

Think about squat and deadlift have a high chance for injury and part of BBing is to be able to do this for a long time.

Hell i recall Kai Greene saying he only does 1 handed db skullcrushers because the amont of weight he would have to pur over his head if doing regular 2 handed would be stupid and unsafe. Its All about longevity in BB.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
Maybe they are scared of setting off the Lunk Alarm.[/quote]

Lunk alarms are in place so big strong PF members don’t drop 30 lbs dumbell and disturb fatter members pizza time.

“Hey big guy, how come you don’t squat or deadlift?”

It’s because outside this little ego driven world of TNation brosefs, seasoned lifters know that it’s about finding what works and not appealing to some mentality that squatting and deadlifting is necessary just to maintain your mancard.

OP don’t you essentially only bench/squat/deadlift/military? they probably do a ton more direct work for their bis/tris/shoulders than you.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
It’s because outside this little ego driven world of TNation brosefs, seasoned lifters know that it’s about finding what works and not appealing to some mentality that squatting and deadlifting is necessary just to maintain your mancard. [/quote]

I have found this to be true, I started with squatting and deadlifting and just never really got much out of them.

High rep squatting was certainly better for me than low rep/heavy weight but I just seem to get much better stimulation of leg presses etc.

Deadlifting was probably never the best idea for me anyway as my back is shot to pieces, but I gave it the good old college try and just got back pain from it.

[quote]ChrisWaddle wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
It’s because outside this little ego driven world of TNation brosefs, seasoned lifters know that it’s about finding what works and not appealing to some mentality that squatting and deadlifting is necessary just to maintain your mancard. [/quote]

I have found this to be true, I started with squatting and deadlifting and just never really got much out of them.

High rep squatting was certainly better for me than low rep/heavy weight but I just seem to get much better stimulation of leg presses etc.

Deadlifting was probably never the best idea for me anyway as my back is shot to pieces, but I gave it the good old college try and just got back pain from it.[/quote]

you were deadlifting wrong and DEFINITELY squatting wrong…

I squat in a different gym then I press/UB.

Because big guys in your gym dont need the hormonal advantage of big lifts, they have better supplements

One thing i have noticed when the big guys do squat is they never go that low. Even watch videos of IFBB guys and they very rearly go to parallel. Higher reps and keep it on the quads!

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]ChrisWaddle wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Deadlifting was probably never the best idea for me anyway as my back is shot to pieces, but I gave it the good old college try and just got back pain from it.[/quote]

you were deadlifting wrong and DEFINITELY squatting wrong…[/quote]

More than likely. I’m tall 6’3, and just never felt right squatting.

[quote]ESX wrote:
One thing i have noticed when the big guys do squat is they never go that low. Even watch videos of IFBB guys and they very rearly go to parallel. Higher reps and keep it on the quads![/quote]

Yeah, I have seen Kain and Heath videos of them stopping above parallel and below lockout.

I suspect the big guys have already put in their time and have simply found better ways to stimulate desired muscle groups.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]ESX wrote:
One thing i have noticed when the big guys do squat is they never go that low. Even watch videos of IFBB guys and they very rearly go to parallel. Higher reps and keep it on the quads![/quote]

Yeah, I have seen Kain and Heath videos of them stopping above parallel and below lockout.

I suspect the big guys have already put in their time and have simply found better ways to stimulate desired muscle groups.[/quote]

Basically this. I haven’t done a barbell squat since I was in the military. I found other movements that felt better and actually produced more results for me. I like the leg press and the squat machine.

You do what works…not what is most popular.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]ESX wrote:

I suspect the big guys have already put in their time and have simply found better ways to stimulate desired muscle groups.[/quote]

also, it’s good to vary rep ranges, descent times, and level of descent every once and a while.

sometimes even in the same set.