T Nation

Big Dude Needs Advice

28 years old. 6’2" 280 lbs (went from 295 to 280 in the past month). Former offensive lineman. I’m really not fat. I mean, I AM fat, but even if I lost 100 lbs I would still be a big dude. Like I said…think offensive lineman.

I have a good bit of flab all around. especially my belly. I have been pretty lazy and out of shape for the past few years.
Recently started dieting and going to the gym.

My typical diet:

-Fish Oil and mulitvitamin every morning.
-Fish oil again in afternoon.

breakfast - protein shake and oatmeal or hardboiled egg

snack - granola bar

lunch - turkey on whole wheat with mustard. triscuits. low-fat yogurt. apple.

snack - almonds

dinner - chicken breast with broccoli and green beans.

This is pretty much every day. I vary with lunch and dinner, but it’s typically some variation of this.

Gym routine (it’s pretty bad I know)

Day 1: 10 -15 min of cardio (elliptical)
various Chest and Back exercises(3 sets of 8 each; 3 different exercies per muscle group )

Day 2: 10 -15 min of cardio (elliptical)
various arm & Leg (3 sets of 8 each; 3 different exercies per muscle group )
(I tend to avoid lots of leg work. My legs are pretty sculpted already; large calfs and even a teardrop on thighs)

Day 3: 10 -15 min of cardio (elliptical)
abs

I also add a 10 -20 steam on each of these days.

As you can see…my diet and workout is not very structured.
Any ideas on what I can change to get better results?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Will try to post pics soon.

Thanks

If you are just trying to loose weight that is going to be decided on diet, exercise speeds things up but at the end of the diet makes the biggest difference.

After reading over your diet, you need to take some time and read about a proper diet. Most of everything you are eating is carbs with very little protien. That is a good way to loose muscle and not fat.

Carb Items:
oatmeal
granola bar
bread
triscuts
yogurt
apple

Protein Items:
Shake
Egg
Lunch Meat
Chicken Breast

you can see that most of your diet is high carb and if you are honestly putting down everything you eat then you are only getting about 100ish grams of protein a day. You should be getting closer to 200g’s a day, I am only 6’ 200 and I eat at least 180g’s of protein a day. I am not going to walk you through on setting up a diet that is up to you do read, but you need to get your protein intake up A LOT and bring down your carbs. Also get rid of the simple carbs and start taking in complex carbs, think oatmeal not yogurt.

As long as it’s not sweetened yogurt, it’s fine even for those on most strict diets.

Go with plain, unsweetened varieties and add your own fruit and a little sucralose if you want it to be sweeter.

Read this - http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_1
theres a part 2 read that also
and this
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_bodybuilding_bible_free_of_charge
be consistent, eat more than you are now good luck 2 u

I’m curious, it’s been almost exactly 3 years since your last post where you were looking to drop down from 305. What happened?

OP, i am in no way anywhere near as knowledgeable as many here but to me it looks like you’re getting nowhere near enough food to get your metabolism firing.

i myself was 332lbs at 6’2", now down to 300 but still along way to go. former rugby prop and boxer.

seriously, one boiled egg for breakfast, my 130lb wife eats more than that. and i had to increase my meals to 6-8 per day before my body would stop hanging onto fat. i hope i’m not coming on too strong here, i certainly dont mean to offend, but if you’re admitting being fat then, i doubt you have the leg shape you think you do. so get off the whirlygirly elliptical and nail yourself to the wall with some of the complexes that john romaniello put up recently.

i think it was Chris Shugart that said, if you dont have the body you desire then you’re either a wimp in the gym or a wimp in the kitchen, from what you’ve posted here i would suggest that you’ve drawn from both.

theres been some great article on fat loss on here recently and loads of dietary info. so if you dont want to trawl through the archives then just go the home page and read some of the recent fat loss articles.

again, i hope i have come across as trying to help as that is my genuine intention and i wish you luck on your journey.

oh…and relax, you didnt get this way overnight so the fat wont fall off overnight either.

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
I’m curious, it’s been almost exactly 3 years since your last post where you were looking to drop down from 305. What happened?[/quote]

Well, I actually did good for about 8 months and got down to 245 lbs. But then I went on an extended vacation and right back to my bad habits. I never really went full speed at the gym before and really want to get things right this time.

[quote]Kairewa wrote:
OP, i am in no way anywhere near as knowledgeable as many here but to me it looks like you’re getting nowhere near enough food to get your metabolism firing.

i myself was 332lbs at 6’2", now down to 300 but still along way to go. former rugby prop and boxer.

seriously, one boiled egg for breakfast, my 130lb wife eats more than that. and i had to increase my meals to 6-8 per day before my body would stop hanging onto fat. i hope i’m not coming on too strong here, i certainly dont mean to offend, but if you’re admitting being fat then, i doubt you have the leg shape you think you do. so get off the whirlygirly elliptical and nail yourself to the wall with some of the complexes that john romaniello put up recently.

i think it was Chris Shugart that said, if you dont have the body you desire then you’re either a wimp in the gym or a wimp in the kitchen, from what you’ve posted here i would suggest that you’ve drawn from both.

theres been some great article on fat loss on here recently and loads of dietary info. so if you dont want to trawl through the archives then just go the home page and read some of the recent fat loss articles.

again, i hope i have come across as trying to help as that is my genuine intention and i wish you luck on your journey.

oh…and relax, you didnt get this way overnight so the fat wont fall off overnight either.

[/quote]

Thanks for the honest advice man. No offense taken! That’s why I posted here. For the honest truth.
You are right, I do need to up my intake. I have started trying to do that this week, especially my protein intake. I have been reading all of the articles and trying to get togther a good food and diet plan that will work for me.

As far as my legs…it’s true. I know it seems unusual. I will try to post some pics later today.
Thanks again for the advice.

1. Protien with every meal.

2. Carbs only breakfast and after workout

3. green veggie with every meal

4. water water water, green tea without sugar added ok.

5. 30 min fasted cardio in morning

6. Lift heavy weight 4 - 5 days a week min

7. if you reall want, walk around the track after a workout for no more then 30 minutes…

8. be consistent for 6 months then report back.

you’ll be amazed how well the above works… and ya, one egg for breakfast is not ok. Personally I just have a protien shake and wait about an hour or two before eating solids because I get naucious if I eat first thing waking up, such is life I suppose.