T Nation

Big DOMS

Thought i’d post this here cos it’d prob get bumped here if i’d tried putting it anywhere else.

I’ve changed my training style recently to german volume training, and cos i only get time to do maybe two exercises per workout i’ve been trying to mix them up regularly. Because of this i’ve been doing lots of variations of the big lifts.

Basicly the point of my post was that i’ve found that some lifts give me delayed onset muscle soreness like no other (and i have to say the massacist in me loves it)

The best moves for this in my limmeted experience are nagative pull ups and declined bumbell bench presses.

Can anyone throw me somemore that’ll have me walking like a fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva victim.

Thats great your training hard! Keep it up!

Just remember Pain does not = progress.

I can tell you to do lots of things that will cause a lot of pain the next day, and I gurentee you most of them won’t be benificial :).

You’ll see as you train longer the sorness factor will diminish and you will have to judge your progress by weight and rep progression.

Deadlifts

deep squats. Try going half way up and keep the tension on your quads. I walk like a penguin for a few days after these because my legs are so sore.

Full out 100 meter sprints. Do 8 or 10 of them with about 5 minutes of rest between. Run like you have a bull behind you. You’ll be sore for a week.

The excercises that give me the worst/best DOMS are the ones where the target muscle gets a good stretch under load. Romanian deadlifts, overhead triceps extensions, wide grip dips with flared elbows (“Gironda style”) etc.

[quote]Panik wrote:
Just remember Pain does not = progress.

You’ll see as you train longer the sorness factor will diminish and you will have to judge your progress by weight and rep progression.[/quote]

i had wondered this, but i was under the impression that the pain from doms was the micro trauma in the muscle fibres that, post workout, the body hypacompensates for leaving the muscle bigger and stronger.

So i asumed that if the volume was within my recovery ability and i gave enough time and nutriants for recovery then DOMS was a good indication that the muscle had been worked well.

When you say “the longer i train the sorness will diminish”, do you mean in a workout or years of training?
I had heard that any new stimulas would cause DOMS but i asumed that was because it caused more damage to an untrained muscle and therefore more DOMS, more muscle growth. i.e. newbe gains.

I’d love to be set straight on this if anyone knows.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Deadlifts

[/quote]

my favorite lift, and i quite agree. i always find that it gives me realy good doms in my traps even though during the lift it doesn’t feel like i’m useing them much. Also i find that a good stiff leg dead really gets them hard to develop hams.

i recently did a just over 1.5xBW dead lift for three reps, not all that impressive but i was pleased with it.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
deep squats. Try going half way up and keep the tension on your quads. I walk like a penguin for a few days after these because my legs are so sore. [/quote]

i love squats, but i have problems. most of my workouts are at home and i have problems clean and pressing the bar to my traps to do a back squat, so i tend to only do hack squats at home, i would definatly see the squat as a weak lift for me.

I’ve recently done about a 1.25x BW hack squat for three, i know this isn’t up to par, but i’m putting in the work, come back in a few years, might even post actual weights then.

[quote]wukey wrote:
Panik wrote:
Just remember Pain does not = progress.

You’ll see as you train longer the sorness factor will diminish and you will have to judge your progress by weight and rep progression.

i had wondered this, but i was under the impression that the pain from doms was the micro trauma in the muscle fibres that, post workout, the body hypacompensates for leaving the muscle bigger and stronger.

So i asumed that if the volume was within my recovery ability and i gave enough time and nutriants for recovery then DOMS was a good indication that the muscle had been worked well.
[/quote]
There is still a lot of speculation as to what causes DOMS and the purpose, but what everyone does agree on is that having DOMS limits your training. Meaning when your sore as hell your not going to be training.

[quote]
When you say “the longer i train the sorness will diminish”, do you mean in a workout or years of training?
I had heard that any new stimulas would cause DOMS but i asumed that was because it caused more damage to an untrained muscle and therefore more DOMS, more muscle growth. i.e. newbe gains.

I’d love to be set straight on this if anyone knows. [/quote]

Your body will get accustomed to the stimuli that caused DOMs in the beginning and your recovery will be improved, this is good because you won’t be as taxed from your previous work out and it won’t impede your progression.

Don’t worry if you work out hard and with a lot of intesity you will get DOMS, it will just be a much milder sorness. Focus on form, weight and rep progression and you won’t fail.

cheers panik