T Nation

Big Decision.

I am 22 years old and still living with my mom the reason is I pay the mortgage. I have been working at a steel plant for 2 years now because we did not want to get rid of the house when my stepfather passed away.

I was pissed off today and told her to sell the house, she usually says no but now with so much other BS going on in our lives she said she will sell it and give me half of what she gets.

So I have to decide if we sell the house or keep it.

Keep ther house: I keep my hateful job, but will have an investment for when I am older, theres only 8 more years till the house is paid off.

Sell the house: I can move where ever I want since I am not in debt and have no family. The only problem is my lawsuit is not over yet.

My orginal plan was keep working and keep the house untill I am 25. Than get a better job, I posted about off shore oil rigs a couple months ago. Plan was to do that and keep the house.

What would you do if you had this decision? Any advice from you older guys?

Thanks

Why do you have to sell the house to get a better job? Why not get a better job and keep the house now?

Do you have a college education? If not, are you pursuing one? I highly suggest it.

That was the orginal plan. But if she ends up wanting to sell than I can move anywhere that I can find a job.

I guess I should of added that I hate my job and living with my mom.

Well what I suggest is look for a new (better) job now, that way if you decide to stay in the house then you’ll be doing better than you are currently. If you decide to move, well then you quit just like you would at the job you hate now.

I can’t stress enough, however, how important pursuing your college education is. Quite honestly, even if you get your degree in basket weaving, there are a lot of places that will just look at the fact that you have a degree as a big positive.

I’m not suggesting however, that you get a degree in something useless. If you’re going to do it, do it right.

I’m with JokerFMJ on this: keep the house, go to college, get your degree, get a better job. If you hate your job, college is probably one of your best ways out to a new job within a few years’ time.

Where is your mom going to live if you sell the house? I know you said you don’t like living with her, but it is your mom, gotta show her love and respect.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I am 22 years old and still living with my mom the reason is I pay the mortgage. I have been working at a steel plant for 2 years now because we did not want to get rid of the house when my stepfather passed away.

I was pissed off today and told her to sell the house, she usually says no but now with so much other BS going on in our lives she said she will sell it and give me half of what she gets.

Keep ther house: I keep my hateful job, but will have an investment for when I am older, theres only 8 more years till the house is paid off.

Sell the house: I can move where ever I want since I am not in debt and have no family. The only problem is my lawsuit is not over yet.

My orginal plan was keep working and keep the house untill I am 25. Than get a better job, I posted about off shore oil rigs a couple months ago. Plan was to do that and keep the house.

Thanks[/quote]

You might want to expand on this point. That’s quite a big matzah ball hanging out there.

This is indeed a HUGE decision. You noted that: “The only problem is my lawsuit is not over yet.” Does this mean you and your mom sued for the wrongful death of your step father? What relevance is the pendency of the lawsuit to your decision? You could always return home for your depositions, and trial.

If you’re lawyer is using the angle that you must live with your mom for emotional support because the death has devastated you, then, well, you need to talk to your lawyer about this! But I don’t know what your lawsuit is.

What do you want to do with your life? Do you want to be a working class guy? Or do you want to be a professional?

22 is still young - young enough to go off to college and have a lot of fun and hopefully learn something. You would feel awkward starting college at 30. But if you enjoy working outside, then that’s a non-issue.

Anyhow, lots of stuff going on. Give more details, especially in the areas of what you want to do.

You said you hate living with your mom. Um, you’re 22 - you would be a total freak if you enjoyed it.

If you can settle your debt, not leave your mom high-and-dry, and end up with some cash in your pocket, I would be inclined to tell you to move on. But, again, this isn’t my answer because there is a lot of stuff I don’t know about.

If you decide to sell: You could put the house on the market, but not be in any hurry to sell. Keep paying down the debt while you wait until you get an offer you like. This is a great position to be in as a home seller.

I hope your name is on the deed. If not, your mom could, in theory, try to cut you out. No one thinks this could happen to them; but weird things happen to families when money is involved.

Good luck, either way.

The lawsuite is over an accident I was in 2 years ago, a drunk driver hit me and after getting out of jail for his 3rd DUI is sueing me because his wife left him over the accident and he can no longer work.

We were trying to get black lung widows benefits since he died of lung cancer after working in coal mines since he was 15 years old but they denied it. That would of been a HUGE help. If we got that than going to college and keeping the house would not of been a problem.

Crazy how the world works sometimes, this is just a smaple out of our daily lives haha.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
The lawsuite is over an accident I was in 2 years ago, a drunk driver hit me and after getting out of jail for his 3rd DUI is sueing me because his wife left him over the accident and he can no longer work.
[/quote]

That’s an interesting reason to sue someone. Were you deemed at fault in the accident.

I’m not a lawyer (and I’m sure there is a lot of differences in US and Canadian law), but I’d be concerned about putting assets in your hands (read: cash from proceed of the house if you’re not already on the deed).

Any idea when the lawsuit will be settled? what are your chances of winning/losing?

[quote]DF85 wrote:

[/quote]

FFS, the fact that this kind of preposterous bull is allowed in court is laughable - sorry you’re in such a situation.

[quote]DF85 wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

Find out how much equity is in the house. You may still have enough of a profit to justify selling early if you hate your job.

Go ahead and move. You are an adult. If you want to take care of your mother, tell her she can live with you where ever you decide to go but let her know it will be on your terms.

There is no reason to stick behind with your mom if you have every oppurtunity to find a better life.

Now is a good time to apply for off shore drilling positions.

With the market going crazy and employees leaving for new positions over seas, virtually all companies are hiring for just about every level of positions.

OK heres whats going on now haha

My sister and her boyfriend are most likely moving to Co. in 6 months. My mom is thinking about moving there also.

I will keep my job for now and hold on to the house. I will have it paid off in 8 years, than I would make money on it if I decide to sell.

The lawsuit is messed up. I was not at fault. I cant belive it went this far due tp the fact that it was his third DUI and he spent over a year in jail over the accidnet.

[quote]rsg wrote:
DF85 wrote:

FFS, the fact that this kind of preposterous bull is allowed in court is laughable - sorry you’re in such a situation.

[/quote]

It’s only laughable because you don’t live here. It pisses me the fuck off.

It keep getting worste!! haha

My mother was hopeing to get black lung widows benefits. That was going ot pay half the mortgage . My stepfather worked in coal mines since he was 16, however they said he had black lung from smoking. We could have appelied the decision but due to minsommunaction we ran out if time.

I need a vaction. oh yeh I also have to work 84 hours in a week starting Wednesday, that is going to mess up my lifting time.

This wouldn’t happen to be a trailer house, would it?

haha no its a new 3000 sw. foot secluded log home, with about 10 acres.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
haha no its a new 3000 sw. foot secluded log home, with about 10 acres.[/quote]

I would hold on to the house. Even though the housing market is in the shitter right now, a log home with that much land will always be worth big bills(unless the taxes are insane).

If you will have the house paid off in 8 years I’d stay. That’s just my $.02.