T Nation

Big Deal Over PB?

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
The best stuff out there. Spreads and looks like normal peanut butter, no need to refrigerate.

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html[/quote]

You may want to refrigerate it nevertheless if you are concerned about aflatoxin.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
“…research indicates you could eat 156 two-tablespoon servings of peanut butter (the equivalent of 156 peanut butter sandwiches) – and perhaps many more – without consuming even 0.5 gram of trans fat…”

http://www.foodsafetysummit.com/viewprnews.php?nid=200701230520PR_NEWS_USPR_____CLTUFNS1
[/quote]

That food safety summit site is an industry PR thing. One of the guys on their advisory board is a Cargill exec, and another is a VP for Denny’s. I’d take their findings with a grain of salt.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Supraman wrote:
How pathetic, that people would rather eat poison, than spend a mere 10-20 seconds stirring a jar of peanut butter.

How pathetic that people worry about minutia like a couple grams of partially-hydrogenated fat in an entire jar of peanut butter.

It’s a non-issue.[/quote]

Really?

I disagree. I think it is a big issue because it’s horrible for the body and offers no positive benefits.

There are many products loaded with partially-hydrogenated oil and/or high fructose corn syrup, and it should be avoided if health and building your body is important to you.

Natural peanut butter is by far the better choice.

Minutia is worrying about when to take your ZMA and if your last meal of the day will interfere with absorption. Or whether you should eat organic fruit/veggies versus regular (just eating them is better than not eating them, so worrying about organic isn’t as much of an issue).

Minutia is worrying about the diet drink you had for lunch but not mentioning the cheeseburger or other fast food you ate or some other garbage. There are many other things that would be considered minutia but not in this case.

This thread isn’t about products loaded with partially-hydrogenated fats or HFCS, it’s about a product that typically has less than 1 gram of partially-hydrogenated fat per serving.

I never suggested that people should load up on trans fat, but the amount in most brands of peanut butter does qualify as minutia.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
I never suggested that people should load up on trans fat, but the amount in most brands of peanut butter does qualify as minutia.[/quote]

If you only have one serving, one time, yeah.

But if you make a habit of it, ANY amount of trans fat is bad, because your body’s ability to get rid of it is VERY poor, so it tends to accumulate over time. And a lot of us tend to eat the same foods over and over (because it makes it easier to hit your calorie and macro targets consistently.)

If you eat a serving of peanut butter every day, or 3 times a week, how much trans fat are you eating over the course of a year? 5 years?

Trans fats are not the end of the world on an infrequent basis, but they should NEVER be part of the plan, in ANY amount, IMO.

You can call that minutiae, if you like, but as far as I know, the National Academy of Sciences’ position is still that there is no safe level of dietary trans fat.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
The best stuff out there. Spreads and looks like normal peanut butter, no need to refrigerate.

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html[/quote]

I tried that stuff… I thought it was pretty gross, both taste and smell.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
The best stuff out there. Spreads and looks like normal peanut butter, no need to refrigerate.

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html

I tried that stuff… I thought it was pretty gross, both taste and smell.

[/quote]

Agreed.

I’ll stick to the natural peanut butter!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
The best stuff out there. Spreads and looks like normal peanut butter, no need to refrigerate.

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html

I tried that stuff… I thought it was pretty gross, both taste and smell.

Agreed.

I’ll stick to the natural peanut butter!

[/quote]

Really? I thought it was ok.

natural PB is just better…bottom line. Taste. Nutrients -Everything

Jif and Skippy do not taste like peanuts. Its just fake.

Natural PB shouldnt be a problem if you just mix and refrigerate. If its too oily for you…just pour some of the oil off down the sink before you stir. For thicker PB pour off more oil, for less solid more amorphous PB keep some more oil.

Tastes great. Always have Peanut Butter or Almond Butter with my pre-bed protein

The only problem i have with natural pb is that people call it “natty.” What’s that shit about?

Other than than, I just think it tastes better.

To quote Charles Poliquin “Do not eat Peanut Butter, even the natural kind; it contains a mould that has phyto-estrogens in it.”

I knew a guy that started eating lots of peanut butter. He grew boobs and his balls shriveled up and fell off. Beware the phyto-estrogen peanut butter mold!!! To escape this cruel fate, I eat almond butter.

But on a serious note, I like the taste better. I get it for under $6 at Trader Joes. Unfortunately most grocery stores charge an assload for it so many of you are SOL. have fun bra shopping

[quote]Hagar wrote:
To quote Charles Poliquin “Do not eat Peanut Butter, even the natural kind; it contains a mould that has phyto-estrogens in it.”

I knew a guy that started eating lots of peanut butter. He grew boobs and his balls shriveled up and fell off. Beware the phyto-estrogen peanut butter mold!!! To escape this cruel fate, I eat almond butter.

But on a serious note, I like the taste better. I get it for under $6 at Trader Joes. Unfortunately most grocery stores charge an assload for it so many of you are SOL. have fun bra shopping [/quote]

I’ve been eating tons of peanut butter my whole life and I’m still breathing. You can buy organic peanut butter that is made from soaked/sprouted peanuts if the whole phyto-estrogens thing is killing you that much.

But with the processing that the peanuts go through, I highly doubt it’s a huge problem.
I do, however, think cashew butter is the best though. It has more of a creamier texture.

Well for one reason I’ll eat Almond butter because I like the taste of it way more than peanut butter. Also just because its organic doesn’t mean its safe. I just did a little internet researching. Just to be safe I’m not eating it.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:

I’ve been eating tons of peanut butter my whole life and I’m still breathing. You can buy organic peanut butter that is made from soaked/sprouted peanuts if the whole phyto-estrogens thing is killing you that much.

But with the processing that the peanuts go through, I highly doubt it’s a huge problem.
I do, however, think cashew butter is the best though. It has more of a creamier texture. [/quote]

Aflatoxins are stable to heat in their dry state, until they reach a melting point. But while in the presence of moisture and at elevated temperatures there is destruction of aflatoxin, which leads to opening of the lactone ring with the possibility of decarboxylation at elevated temperatures.

This means if the peanuts are exposed to moisture, there is a chance that destruction will occur and retard the structure. There shouldn’t be a problem eating peanut butter that is from sprouted peanuts either, if you still want to be on the safe side.

The link you gave me also says that “medical research indicates that a regular diet including apiaceous vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, celery and parsley, reduces the carcinogenic effects of aflatoxin[2].”

It also says that “virtually all sources of commercial peanut butter contain minute quantities of aflatoxin,[1] but it is usually far below the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) recommended safe level.”

I’ve been consuming a lot of cashew butter lately, so I’ll continue with that.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Well for one reason I’ll eat Almond butter because I like the taste of it way more than peanut butter. Also just because its organic doesn’t mean its safe. I just did a little internet researching. Just to be safe I’m not eating it.

Cthulhu wrote:

I’ve been eating tons of peanut butter my whole life and I’m still breathing. You can buy organic peanut butter that is made from soaked/sprouted peanuts if the whole phyto-estrogens thing is killing you that much.

But with the processing that the peanuts go through, I highly doubt it’s a huge problem.
I do, however, think cashew butter is the best though. It has more of a creamier texture.

[/quote]

By the way, Almonds are also frequently infected by the fungus.
Cashew butter would be your best bet if you’re that concerned about it.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Well for one reason I’ll eat Almond butter because I like the taste of it way more than peanut butter. Also just because its organic doesn’t mean its safe. I just did a little internet researching. Just to be safe I’m not eating it.

Cthulhu wrote:

I’ve been eating tons of peanut butter my whole life and I’m still breathing. You can buy organic peanut butter that is made from soaked/sprouted peanuts if the whole phyto-estrogens thing is killing you that much.

But with the processing that the peanuts go through, I highly doubt it’s a huge problem.
I do, however, think cashew butter is the best though. It has more of a creamier texture.

[/quote]

Personally, I like powdered peanut butter. It’s a lot more portable and super easy to use. It’s also has fewer calories and fewer fat grams and tastes just like fresh roasted peanuts! When you reconstitute it, it also has the same consistency as creamy pb and it has a lot longer shelf life without refrigeration.