T Nation

Big Deal Over PB?

Lots of people make a big fuss over the corn syrup and sugar content, but the most I’ve seen is three grams of sugar per serving.

A serving of regular peanuts has one to two grams by itself, without anything added. So why the big fuss over peanut butter? Is there really that much of a difference between a jar of Skippy and a jar of natural PB?

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Lots of people make a big fuss over the corn syrup and sugar content, but the most I’ve seen is three grams of sugar per serving.

A serving of regular peanuts has one to two grams by itself, without anything added. So why the big fuss over peanut butter? Is there really that much of a difference between a jar of Skippy and a jar of natural PB? [/quote]

Yes. The difference isn’t just the sugar content, but the hydrogenated oils. Each serving contains 0.5g of trans fat. It may not sound like much, but for true peanut butter lovers who eat 2-3 servings daily (me), it can be. I try not to eat any trans fat whatsoever. As far as the sugar goes, it’s not much. About 1-3 grams isn’t much, especially when there is fiber and fat with it.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Each serving contains 0.5g of trans fat. [/quote]

I heard that the trans fat content is almost nonexistent.

Take a look at one report here:

From the jif website:

Should peanut butter be avoided because it is high in trans fats?
No. Based on the newly proposed FDA regulations about trans fat labeling, peanut butter would declare ZERO (0) trans fat. Independent analyses of peanut butters by The Peanut Institute have shown extremely low levels of trans fat. Some peanut butter contains a very small amount of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to help prevent oil separation, which is preferable to most consumers.

…I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

[quote]GT625 wrote:
From the jif website:

Should peanut butter be avoided because it is high in trans fats?
No. Based on the newly proposed FDA regulations about trans fat labeling, peanut butter would declare ZERO (0) trans fat. Independent analyses of peanut butters by The Peanut Institute have shown extremely low levels of trans fat. Some peanut butter contains a very small amount of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to help prevent oil separation, which is preferable to most consumers.

…I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

[/quote]

They get to put zero because their serving size is small enough.

Why not just get natural peanut butter? It’s better for you, it mixes into things easier and it blends easier. Whats not to like?

I dont like just a little bit of dog shit on my steak eithr no matter how minute when i can buy one without it

Phill

If you are in a metropolitan area you can check out Whole Foods Market’s non-stir all natural peanut butter. I think they mix in coconut or palm oil or something instead of hydrogenated oil. It tastes exactly like jif or skippy or whatever. Very nice.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
They get to put zero because their serving size is small enough.

Why not just get natural peanut butter? It’s better for you, it mixes into things easier and it blends easier. Whats not to like?
[/quote]

I know I actually prefer the taste of natural peanut butter. I’m just saying that if you eat some normal peanut butter like jiff, or peter pan it’s not going to cause your system to shut down.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Each serving contains 0.5g of trans fat.

I heard that the trans fat content is almost nonexistent.

Take a look at one report here:


[/quote]

Not if you’re eating 3-4 servings of peanut butter a day. Then it adds up.
If someone wants to eat it, thats fine. I don’t care. I just don’t prefer to eat any trans fat whatsoever.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Each serving contains 0.5g of trans fat.

I heard that the trans fat content is almost nonexistent.

Take a look at one report here:

Not if you’re eating 3-4 servings of peanut butter a day. Then it adds up.
[/quote]

“…research indicates you could eat 156 two-tablespoon servings of peanut butter (the equivalent of 156 peanut butter sandwiches) – and perhaps many more – without consuming even 0.5 gram of trans fat…”

http://www.foodsafetysummit.com/viewprnews.php?nid=200701230520PR_NEWS_USPR_____CLTUFNS1

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Each serving contains 0.5g of trans fat.

I heard that the trans fat content is almost nonexistent.

Take a look at one report here:

Not if you’re eating 3-4 servings of peanut butter a day. Then it adds up.

“…research indicates you could eat 156 two-tablespoon servings of peanut butter (the equivalent of 156 peanut butter sandwiches) – and perhaps many more – without consuming even 0.5 gram of trans fat…”

http://www.foodsafetysummit.com/viewprnews.php?nid=200701230520PR_NEWS_USPR_____CLTUFNS1

[/quote]

Research? From what I read there has only been one study. I find it hard to believe that a whole jar of peanut butter has less than 0.5g trans fat.

The page also says: “All hydrogenated oil is not the same and the amount added to specific products is not the same. So you can’t generalize about all products that contain hydrogenated oil.”
So, this doesn’t apply to EVERY brand.
Not to mention half of that page went on about how good peanut butter is.

I’d like to see more credible sources do studies on this. Even if it does have 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving in CERTAIN brands and people don’t see a problem with that, then thats great. I just don’t prefer to eat any trans fat whatsoever.

[quote]GT625 wrote:
I know I actually prefer the taste of natural peanut butter. I’m just saying that if you eat some normal peanut butter like jiff, or peter pan it’s not going to cause your system to shut down.[/quote]

Amen…that’s the main reason i use natural.
Tastes so much better. MUCH stronger peanut taste and no added sugar…no matter how little.

After having natural peanut butter, jiff or skippy basically taste like peanut-flavored crisco.

anyway…

How pathetic, that people would rather eat poison, than spend a mere 10-20 seconds stirring a jar of peanut butter.

[quote]Supraman wrote:
How pathetic, that people would rather eat poison, than spend a mere 10-20 seconds stirring a jar of peanut butter.[/quote]

How pathetic that people worry about minutia like a couple grams of partially-hydrogenated fat in an entire jar of peanut butter.

It’s a non-issue.

You guys are harsh! Live and let live.

I just find it funny that my PB says “Warning: Contains Peanuts” on the label.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I just find it funny that my PB says “Warning: Contains Peanuts” on the label.[/quote]

THAT is frickin hilarious! I seriously laughed at that. I’m gonna have to check this out.

Natty PB is soooooo good. I put down as much as 8 tablespoons a day. My only complaint is that when I buy the big jars of the stuff, it’s really hard to get all the stuff at the bottom mixed in with the rest.

The best stuff out there. Spreads and looks like normal peanut butter, no need to refrigerate.

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html

Just buy the standard stuff that uses palm oil. I don’t care about the sugar as it’s going in my PWO shake anyway. Even Sunpat is just peanuts, salt and sugar.