Big Comments from Pig

Irish

I agree these sorts of reports about “God’s judgment” with the whole Israel thing is not cool, and I highly disagree with it and think its loony. But, lets’ also be realistic here: this is a different situation from BO’s church:

1. This was a GUEST speaker. One time guest (or perhaps rare guest) who may not have cleared their sermon details with the regular pastoral staff.

This is NOT the regular pastor of 20+ years who has openly and publicly admitted to having a racist as a major influence (James Cone), and has given regular sermons for over 2 decades.

Troubling, yes. But not in the same league as Wright.

Additionally, when I was a child and growing up going to church, I can remember a (very small) number of guest speakers who said some weird stuff that I thought was crazy.

However, I knew my pastors did not agree with them and it did not reflect on the style or content of their sermons whatsoever.

1. Palin’s address the the Wasilla Assembly of God. I admit to having not read the direct quote/stories, etc. However, that being said,

a) In a small town where you know most of the citizens personally, addressing a church assembly would not be out of the ordinary, even if you weren’t a christian.

b) Because she is a Christian it makes it even more natural for her to address them. Obama may have addressed his church, or others, hundreds of times over the 20+ years he attended.

In fact, I would lay money on it. That is not something I worry about–that’s not the genesis of any sort of criticism over his attendance there. I expect that to happen from time to time, especially over important issues to the local/state whatever.

In addition, there have been many other political leaders who also professed to be Christians (both lib and con) who have addressed their churches.

c) Given that one is addressing a church congregation, it is completely in line to ask for prayer for whatever issue you’re talking about. As above, I would lay odds and money that Obama has done that as well, more than once, and I don’t have a problem with him doing that either.

d) Asking the congregation to pray for “God’s will” over any situation strikes me as fairly normal for a small or non-political church. I’m a bit rusty, but if I recall correctly, christians are exhorted to pray for leaders, those in authority, and others in their charge.

It’s a natural extension of any congregation’s habit of prayer as far as I understand things.

e) praying for “God’s will” is not the same as praying for the destruction of the infidel–it would be more of a “whatever you want to do, whichever way it goes, i hope it’s successful”.

Bottom line, the bit about “Judgment” is loony and I’m a bit disturbed about that. But it will take a lot more regular pattern of crazy things being said at that church for it to worry me to the same degree as Wright’s church.

Additionally, given the small town and the fact that pipeline issues are most likely locally impacting, and how I remember church congregation working when I was young, I don’t see any major red flags… yet.

Fair post Aragorn.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
flyboy51v wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
I thought Vlad the Impaler was Romanian.

Shhhhh. RJ was on a roll.

yea … it seems to me that when you wipe away all your obviously stupid bigoted rationales … hillbilly, Track, Alaska … you’re left with a policy position that is so mainstream it isn’t worth arguing about AND … her religion.

All you have to do is mention the G word to these liberals and it’s as if they start drooling and speaking in tongues!

LOL.

Forgive me for not wanting religious extremists running the country.

Obama believes in God, and McCain believes in God, most of congress probably believes in God, and I kind of believe in God.

But it’s all in the way you present it. I am not comfortable with telling the world that our troops are on a Blue Brothers mission as justification for them being there. [/quote]

You clearly have not read what she actually said … so let’s stop that angle. It’s pointless.

In regard to “how you present it” and religious extremists running the country. You are aware of course if you’ve ever read FDR or JFK or Hubert Humphrey (to mention three liberal democratic icons) that their speeches were absolutely littered with references to God and exhortations for God to help us in our endeavors. CHRISTIAN PSYCHOS!

Have you ever read Eisenhower’s address to the troops landing at normandy?
CHRISTIAN PSYCHO ALERT!

How about FDR and Churchill singing Onward Christian Soldiers at the signing of the Atlantic Charter. Yet another pair of CHRISTIAN PSYCOS!

And the founding fathers … massive, huge CHRISTIAN PSYCHOS!

It’s perfectly legitimate to argue that you don’t like any of this but I always wonder if people who advocate the christians psycho angle realize that when they call Palin and Bush psychos … their indicting virtually every liberal icon prior to about 1992 …

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
I thought Vlad the Impaler was Romanian.[/quote]

Vladimir Putin.

Kinda like Obama = Opie.

Forgive me for not wanting religious extremists running the country. [/quote]

Then you’re going to be very disappointed in about 55 days.

[quote]Obama believes in God, and McCain believes in God, most of congress probably believes in God, and I kind of believe in God.

But it’s all in the way you present it. I am not comfortable with telling the world that our troops are on a Blue Brothers mission as justification for them being there. [/quote]

Do you have this same hatred of Abe Lincoln? I mean for the same reason? Because Palin was using the words from a speech given by Lincoln over 140 years ago.

I’m just wondering how it can possibly be presented from a republican, and have you be okay with it.

That’s okay though, when you get a real job and start making real money - you’ll probably change your mind. I doubt you will ever admit it, but you will - especially every April 15th.

I think the religion angle is mostly a distraction. Palin asks people to pray that US Soldiers are doing God’s will. BFD. I pray with my family that He will ensure that we “do the right thing” all the time, does that make me an insane snake-handler? Nope.

And as far as I can tell, there are just as many stupid people who don’t believe in God as those who do, so until someone comes up with something more substantial than “WHAT AN IDEOT!!!lol” I’ll assume that she didn’t get to be mayor, governor, and VP pick by smiliing sweetly and saying “um… I don’t know, but look at my tits!”

Also, with regard to Russia, the main point that has been missed is that they don’t really NEED to invade Poland or anyone else. They’ve got the market cornered on natural resources for most of the continent, and all they really need to do is switch off their neighbor’s heat or oil for a few weeks and they can have pretty much whatever they want.

Russia is going to be a huge problem in the coming years, anyone who listens to Putin knows it’s the truth. So refusing to take a hot war off the table if they attack one of our allies isn’t stupid at all, it’s global politics. That’s how it’s supposed to work, you attack one of our friends and we will be forced to act.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
flyboy51v wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
I thought Vlad the Impaler was Romanian.

Shhhhh. RJ was on a roll.

yea … it seems to me that when you wipe away all your obviously stupid bigoted rationales … hillbilly, Track, Alaska … you’re left with a policy position that is so mainstream it isn’t worth arguing about AND … her religion.

All you have to do is mention the G word to these liberals and it’s as if they start drooling and speaking in tongues!

LOL.

Obama believes in God, and McCain believes in God, most of congress probably believes in God, and I kind of believe in God.

But it’s all in the way you present it. I am not comfortable with telling the world that our troops are on a Blue Brothers mission as justification for them being there.

You clearly have not read what she actually said … so let’s stop that angle. It’s pointless.

In regard to “how you present it” and religious extremists running the country. You are aware of course if you’ve ever read FDR or JFK or Hubert Humphrey (to mention three liberal democratic icons) that their speeches were absolutely littered with references to God and exhortations for God to help us in our endeavors. CHRISTIAN PSYCHOS!

Have you ever read Eisenhower’s address to the troops landing at normandy?
CHRISTIAN PSYCHO ALERT!

How about FDR and Churchill singing Onward Christian Soldiers at the signing of the Atlantic Charter. Yet another pair of CHRISTIAN PSYCOS!

And the founding fathers … massive, huge CHRISTIAN PSYCHOS!

It’s perfectly legitimate to argue that you don’t like any of this but I always wonder if people who advocate the christians psycho angle realize that when they call Palin and Bush psychos … their indicting virtually every liberal icon prior to about 1992 …

[/quote]

Fucking wonderful. In this case, the historical precedent does not concern me because the times right now are far different than the 40s, when it was far easier to be black and white about things. And by the way, Eisenhower was a General when he gave that address, not a politician,and he was a republican, not a democrat. I know he wasn’t that far right, but he was still a Republican.

But that doesn’t mean that I want a supereligous nutjob in when we’re in the middle of a protracted war against those in the Middle East.

Many times politicians would litter references to God to distinguish us from the godless commis, too. It’s the same reason that it’s on our money and in the pledge of allegiance.

But that kind of religious fervor is a bad thing. Saying shit like how the troops are on a blues brothers mission will do nothing for diplomacy. No, this broad won’t do shit for diplomacy.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Then you’re going to be very disappointed in about 55 days.

But it’s all in the way you present it. I am not comfortable with telling the world that our troops are on a Blue Brothers mission as justification for them being there.

Do you have this same hatred of Abe Lincoln? I mean for the same reason? Because Palin was using the words from a speech given by Lincoln over 140 years ago.

I’m just wondering how it can possibly be presented from a republican, and have you be okay with it.

That’s okay though, when you get a real job and start making real money - you’ll probably change your mind. I doubt you will ever admit it, but you will - especially every April 15th.

[/quote]

Sorry compadre, I have a real job and make real money. I’m no millionaire, but I do OK. I’m not, and was never, a starving college student, so don’t give me that.

And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that Lincoln was, by all means, a progressive, and in this day and age, would have not been a Republican.

Proves she’s smarter and smarter everyday. So now US troops are like the Blues Brothers, on a “mission from god”. And who the fuck names their kid TRACK?

Jesus hillbilly, save him the spelling trouble and just call him “ATV”.

[/quote]

You were named (appropriately) Pinhead and no one rips into you for that. Be fair now.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
So FightingIrish, back to the topic at hand … why exactly is palin so stupid? I’m not following you I’m afraid. You don’t like her kids name … you think she’s a hillbilly and she says that if Georgia was part of Nato we’d have to honor our solemn treaty obligations to defend them against invasion?

Well let’s make a few assumptions so this is easier for you:

1. Let’s assume instead of being from Alaska she was from New Jersey.
  2. Let’s assume her kid was named Bob.

NOW what’s your problem?

She advocates Georgian entry into Nato like dozens and dozens of other officials in the foreign policy establishment and which is current US policy. Does this make her stupid?

Why don’t we skip all the Northeastern/Urban bigotry and get right to the bottom line.

What really gets under you skin is that she has a belief in God.

[/quote]

And that she has morals. The Loony Left can’t stand people who actually take concepts like ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ seriously.

Sorry compadre, I have a real job and make real money. [/quote]

Do you buy hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place with your money?

I like pepper jack cheese.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
So FightingIrish, back to the topic at hand … why exactly is palin so stupid?

[/quote]

She’s a psycho christian conservative who thinks America is on a mission from God? Just what we don’t need right now on the world stage.

[/quote]

No, she said let us PRAY that what we are doing is Gods will. It’s a basic Christian philosophy that we HOPE we are doing the right thing. You blow it out of proportion.

Kennedy said it, Regan, Lincoln said it, all of a sudden the land free from religious persecution is NOT? Liberals want to TAKE rights, and this stance, as demonstrated by you, is showing intolerance from an otherwise “tolerant” group of liberals. Whats the REAL story here Irish??

What does your avatar represent???

Beyond hipocracy.

And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that Lincoln was, by all means, a progressive, and in this day and age, would have not been a Republican. [/quote]

Unfounded assumption.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
I think the religion angle is mostly a distraction. Palin asks people to pray that US Soldiers are doing God’s will. [/quote]

How does that work? Retroactively?

What’s done is done. Iraq was bombed and invaded. Innocent people (and not-so innocent people) have died.

If you want to pray for something, pray that heinous acts such as those that took place in Al-Mahmudiya don’t happen again.

I don’t think there are any chances of people confusing your daily activities with some sort of crusade.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with believing in God. Most people do. It’s when God is invoked politically or to pander to the masses that trouble generally ensues.

I don’t think anyone said Palin was an “IDEOT”. It’s just that she has the potential to be dangerous if she bases her actions on what her god tells her to do.

[quote]Also, with regard to Russia, the main point that has been missed is that they don’t really NEED to invade Poland or anyone else. They’ve got the market cornered on natural resources for most of the continent, and all they really need to do is switch off their neighbor’s heat or oil for a few weeks and they can have pretty much whatever they want.

Russia is going to be a huge problem in the coming years, anyone who listens to Putin knows it’s the truth. So refusing to take a hot war off the table if they attack one of our allies isn’t stupid at all, it’s global politics. That’s how it’s supposed to work, you attack one of our friends and we will be forced to act.[/quote]

As much as I think the US is the world’s sole hyperpower, I have to seriously doubt if you can handle the Russians without being brought down yourselves. Everybody knows that. And although people in Washington like to talk tough about the issue, I don’t think they’re zealots enough to risk a nuclear war with Russia over Ossetia. And yes, even if Georgia was in NATO.

Ron Paul on the issue a couple of days back;

From somebody whom has studied Lincoln most of his adult Life; neither one of the Self-Serving, hypocritical parties of 2008 should “lay claim” to Lincoln.

Both should stick to Reagan and Clinton.

Mufasa

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that Lincoln was, by all means, a progressive, and in this day and age, would have not been a Republican.

Unfounded assumption.

[/quote]

“Progressive” in the 1860’s sure as hell didn’t mean the same thing it does today. I doubt if Lincoln would view the wholesale secularization of society and the exploding size and intrusiveness of government as progress.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
From somebody whom has studied Lincoln most of his adult Life; neither one of the Self-Serving, hypocritical parties of 2008 should “lay claim” to Lincoln. >>>[/quote]

There’s no doubt about this.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Beyond hipocracy.[/quote]

All hail our overlords!