Big Budget Army of Darkness Ripoff

Check out the last paragraph of this article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/one-more-trip-land-oz-004520431.html

Its a flat-out-out Army of Darkness ripoff. Sam and Bruce ought to sue.

Errr are you seriously jumping to the conclusion that generic “misplaced hero” was ripped from army of darkness

hint: it wasn’t. It’s a trope that’s been used time and time again, army of darkness wasn’t the first and it won’t be the last.

Until its got a one liner dropping hero with a remarkable chin and a chainsaw replacing his lopped off hand, no dice you primitive screwhead.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Errr are you seriously jumping to the conclusion that generic “misplaced hero” was ripped from army of darkness

hint: it wasn’t. It’s a trope that’s been used time and time again, army of darkness wasn’t the first and it won’t be the last.

Until its got a one liner dropping hero with a remarkable chin and a chainsaw replacing his lopped off hand, no dice you primitive screwhead.[/quote]

“Franco’s circus magician, a selfish cad, is sucked via tornado to Oz, where the residents mistake him for a wizard who will free them from the wicked witches. But he starts to wither under the expectations. ‘I’m just not the man you wanted me to be,’ he says.”

That’s Ash, right down to the fucking tornado. Just substitute S-Mart clerk for circus magician.

So which Pink Floyd album am I supposed to listen to while I watch this?

Meddle.

op … you do realize this is based off of L. Frank Baum’s collection of stories, right? Oz, the great and powerful, is a character in these stories and, I believe, one or two books in the Oz series cover this exact premise?

Oh, btw, they were written a couple generations BEFORE Sam Raimi wrote and directed ANYTHING…

Stop doing drugs

I love in Army of Darkness how it’s set in England but they obviously filmed it in California so you see lots of snad and dust and rocks everywhere.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
op … you do realize this is based off of L. Frank Baum’s collection of stories, right? Oz, the great and powerful, is a character in these stories and, I believe, one or two books in the Oz series cover this exact premise?

Oh, btw, they were written a couple generations BEFORE Sam Raimi wrote and directed ANYTHING…

Stop doing drugs[/quote]

I don’t buy this for a second. They straight-up jacked Sam and Bruce.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

Stop doing drugs[/quote]

I don’t buy this for a second. They straight-up jacked Sam and Bruce. [/quote]

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

Until its got a one liner dropping hero with a remarkable chin and a chainsaw replacing his lopped off hand, no dice you primitive screwhead.[/quote]

“Franco’s circus magician, a selfish cad, is sucked via tornado to Oz, where the residents mistake him for a wizard who will free them from the wicked witches. But he starts to wither under the expectations. ‘I’m just not the man you wanted me to be,’ he says.”

That’s Ash, right down to the fucking tornado. Just substitute S-Mart clerk for circus magician. [/quote]

Lmao dude, no.

The setup is one that has been used in movies well before Army of darkness, and will continue to be used well after it.

winds up in <insert new land, time or space here> due to <insert unforseen/unlikely circumstance here> where evil forces preside over the land and the people mistake the protagonist for and he has to rise to the occasion to <save girlfriend/get back to his homeland/get back to his dimension>

There are hundreds of movies like this.

AoD may just be the most groovy of the lot.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

Stop doing drugs[/quote]

I don’t buy this for a second. They straight-up jacked Sam and Bruce. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yo, she Bitch, let’s go.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

That’s Ash, right down to the fucking tornado. Just substitute S-Mart clerk for circus magician. [/quote]

Lmao dude, no.

The setup is one that has been used in movies well before Army of darkness, and will continue to be used well after it.

winds up in <insert new land, time or space here> due to <insert unforseen/unlikely circumstance here> where evil forces preside over the land and the people mistake the protagonist for and he has to rise to the occasion to <save girlfriend/get back to his homeland/get back to his dimension>

There are hundreds of movies like this.

[/quote]

This is just crazy talk.

You do know Sam is DIRECTING THIS MOVIE right?

Not mention… What other movie has a lead character transported into a strange and magical land by a tornado? Hmm… What could it be? How about… THE WIZARD OF OZ? You know, that movie that came our DECADES before Army of Darkness? I love me some Ash, but to say this is a rip off of AOD is a little misguided.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
You do know Sam is DIRECTING THIS MOVIE right?

Not mention… What other movie has a lead character transported into a strange and magical land by a tornado? Hmm… What could it be? How about… THE WIZARD OF OZ? You know, that movie that came our DECADES before Army of Darkness? I love me some Ash, but to say this is a rip off of AOD is a little misguided.[/quote]

Haha. Winner winner chicken dinner.

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/interviews/item/8388-iar-interview-director-sam-raimi-talks-oz-the-great-and-powerful.html

"Fans of Raimi’s Evil Dead series, especially Army of Darkness, will be pleased to hear that Oz is surprisingly a kin to the popular horror/fantasy series. Some similarities include Raimi’s stylized way of shooting, his blend of horror and comedy, a resemblance between Oz’s witches and Evil Dead’s deadites, as well as cameos by Sam’s brother Ted Raimi, and Bruce Campbell, who in classic Evil Dead II fashion gets slapped in the face a few times. I began the press conference by asking Raimi about the similarities between his new film and The Evil Dead series, as well as not passing up the opportunity to hit his old friend in the face on screen one more time. ‘It’s always good to hit Bruce when you can,’ the director laughed.

‘But as far as what they have in common, yes, there are some similarities with the Army of Darkness movie, the third in the Evil Dead series, and this picture.’ Raimi explained. Bruce Campbell plays a character that comes from another time, back into 1300AD, and into medieval times. They think he is one of their enemies and that a plague has come upon the land. I won’t retell the whole story but there are some similarities (between Army of Darkness and Oz the Great and Powerful), but they’re distant. He eventually becomes a leader of those people, so that much is similar with James’s character. He comes from another place and time, another reality and eventually comes to lead those people. It’s very similar,’ he concluded."