T Nation

'Big Brother' Is Coming!!

“Smile! Your Boss May Be Watching!”
By Associated Press
Mon Jun 11, 7:42 AM

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Government employees in a Malaysian state are being monitored by security cameras to keep them from slacking off at work or vanishing for long tea breaks, a news report said Monday.

Sixteen closed-circuit television cameras were installed recently to improve security in northeastern Terengganu state’s main government administrative complex, but they serve an additional purpose of keeping tabs on some 1,000 workers there, Terengganu State Secretary Mokhtar Nong told The Star newspaper.

“We would know if they are adhering to office etiquette or playing truant, and we can also gauge if they are disciplined at work,” Mokhtar said, adding that another 26 cameras will be set up soon."

How soon until the cameras are in YOUR workplace? We all know that if someone invents something, that eventually employers and/or gov’t will abuse it. The day is coming…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“Smile! Your Boss May Be Watching!”
By Associated Press
Mon Jun 11, 7:42 AM

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Government employees in a Malaysian state are being monitored by security cameras to keep them from slacking off at work or vanishing for long tea breaks, a news report said Monday.

Sixteen closed-circuit television cameras were installed recently to improve security in northeastern Terengganu state’s main government administrative complex, but they serve an additional purpose of keeping tabs on some 1,000 workers there, Terengganu State Secretary Mokhtar Nong told The Star newspaper.

“We would know if they are adhering to office etiquette or playing truant, and we can also gauge if they are disciplined at work,” Mokhtar said, adding that another 26 cameras will be set up soon."

How soon until the cameras are in YOUR workplace? We all know that if someone invents something, that eventually employers and/or gov’t will abuse it. The day is coming…

[/quote]

Well we have traffic cameras, stop light cameras, “city” cameras, speeding cameras, security cameras…I’d say we are mere inches away from this. It’s for our own good after all. We need to be monitored in order to behave.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
It’s for our own good after all. We need to be monitored in order to behave.[/quote]

I’m having a really hard time to tell if that’s sarcasm.

You’re late! Big Brother is already here.

My last job had closed circuit cameras. They had trust issues, and they were a poor employer.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
It’s for our own good after all. We need to be monitored in order to behave.

I’m having a really hard time to tell if that’s sarcasm.[/quote]

Yes, it’s sacasm…

[quote]pat36 wrote:
lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
It’s for our own good after all. We need to be monitored in order to behave.

I’m having a really hard time to tell if that’s sarcasm.

Yes, it’s sacasm…[/quote]

Feh, HH is sarcastic all the time