Big Breakfast Makes Me Hungrier

For most of my life I was a poor breakfast eater. A small bowl of cereal or, in recent years, a protein shake, would do it for me. I never felt hungry until lunchtime either.
As my knowledge grew I learned that this was definitely not the best thing for my body! This year I have been eating a massive bowl of oatmeal, fruit and a protein shake every day at 7 AM. As a side effect, this seems to make me ravenous by 9:30-10 in the morning! What would cause this phenomenon? It seems to go against everything I have read about breakfast and satiety. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m not sure whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing, I’m just curious.

I have no idea why it does this, but the more I weat the hungrier I become. I thought I was just built funny.

-Dave

Have you lifted weights all your life?

The iron game makes me hungry ALL the time.

jaystyles

Yeah I get that too but I eat a large breakfast 8 whole eggs, and some cheese. And this is you bodys way of saying I need food to grow …FEED ME!!!
Will42

[quote]jaystyles wrote:
Have you lifted weights all your lift?

The iron game makes me hungry ALL the time.

jaystyles[/quote]

Yeah, I started lifting as soon as I exited the womb.
Nah, I’ve been lifting for about a decade, but the big breakfast thing is a recent development.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
What would cause this phenomenon? It seems to go against everything I have read about breakfast and satiety. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m not sure whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing, I’m just curious.[/quote]

I’ve experienced that frequently. If I skip breakfast, I can make it 'till mid-afternoon before I get hungry. If I eat a good breakfast, I’m ready to pass out from hunger by noon.

Why?

'Cause when you eat breakfast, you’re waking up your metabolism and digestive system!

When you skip breakfast, or eat almost nothing, your body is still sort of in ‘shut down’ mode from sleeping. It’s attempting to conserve energy, because it doesn’t have a fresh supply of nutrients to utilize.

When you eat a good solid breakfast, your body is being told, “Start your engines! It’s time to go!”

Or, as a friend of mine once put it, when you skip breakfast, your metabolism just sort of idles. When you eat a good breakfast, you’re filling the gas tank, and shifting your metabolism into high gear.

That’s how I was led to understand things, anyway.

Thanks, topher. That explains it perfectly.

yeah, I am always starving by 10 AM after a big breakfast. You should be eating 6 to 8 times a day anyway.

It just helps you fill in your shirt.

I’ve noticed this too. I recently added a ton of carbs to my PWO meal, which is consumed right after working out. Prior to doing this, I never really got hungry…but now I start aching for food 30 minutes before meal #2. It’s a good feeling…let’s me know my body is demanding more fuel for the fire.

topher nailed it exactly. A big, high carb, high protein, low fat breakfast turns me into a human furnace the rest of the day. The smaller breakfast I eat, the lower my cravings during the day. Bizarre. Of course, during a heavy lifting cycle I’m always ravenous anyway. I have to sneak in small snacks between meals to keep from going crazy from hunger pangs.