Big Breakfast Bad?

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Big breakfasts aren’t bad. Experimentation is not needed.

Not for you they aren’t. Maybe they are for the thread starter. People are different and will respond differently to different lifestyle practices – it’s not exactly a revolutionary claim, just in line with logic, scientific evidence, and common sense.
[/quote]

There are numerous studies stating that for a normal sedentary person that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Now imagine a bodybuilder or powerlifter that wrecks havoc on their muscles day in and day out, and then essentially fasts for 8 hours (could be less depending on pre-bed nutrition). How do you draw the conclusion that a big breakfast may not be needed, when your muscles need the nutrients to repair themselves?

Logically, that makes no sense.

I once spent 4 hours eating breakfast.

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Not for you they aren’t. Maybe they are for the thread starter. People are different and will respond differently to different lifestyle practices – it’s not exactly a revolutionary claim, just in line with logic, scientific evidence, and common sense.
[/quote]
Would this logic apply to car accidents as well?

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

You listed being “lethargic” as being a reason to avoid eating more food during breakfast. This is bodybuilding. If you are weak enough to say, “Gosh darn it, I feel so ‘lethargic’ after that big meal that I think I shall give up my goals to gain more muscle mass”, then perhaps you are on the wrong forum. God forbid you feel “bloated”. I guess that will end everything right there.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jay Ess wrote:
Professor X wrote:

You listed being “lethargic” as being a reason to avoid eating more food during breakfast. This is bodybuilding. If you are weak enough to say, “Gosh darn it, I feel so ‘lethargic’ after that big meal that I think I shall give up my goals to gain more muscle mass”, then perhaps you are on the wrong forum. God forbid you feel “bloated”. I guess that will end everything right there.[/quote]

The bigger problem I see with Jay’s statement as it is conceived here is that while there are differences from one individual to another, the commonalities definitely outweigh them by far. Otherwise, what sense would research with regard to any aspect of the human body make?

Anyway, I agree that this sounds like a variety of the usual “I’m a hardgainer/ I’m an ectomorph/ I have bad genetics/ My daddy won’t buy me supplements” copout. If there actually is scientific evidence to prove that a large breakfast can be considered bad per se for a representative group of individuals, I’d be very interested to see it.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:

Anyway, I agree that this sounds like a variety of the usual “I’m a hardgainer/ I’m an ectomorph/ I have bad genetics/ My daddy won’t buy me supplements” copout. If there actually is scientific evidence to prove that a large breakfast can be considered bad per se for a representative group of individuals, I’d be very interested to see it. [/quote]

I am still laughing at “feeling lethargic” being a reason for someone to avoid making the most progress possible. There are some real pussies on this site.

The bigger problem I see with Jay’s statement as it is conceived here is that while there are differences from one individual to another, the commonalities definitely outweigh them by far. Otherwise, what sense would research with regard to any aspect of the human body make?
[/quote]

Yes, commonalities outweigh differences “by far,” ON AVERAGE. Maybe “skinnybarstard” is an outlier --i.e., a statistical anomaly. You don’t know otherwise.

Regardless, skinnybarstard, I stand by my original advice. Eat a big breakfast or don’t, depending on how doing so makes you feel. Don’t, however, let someone tell you you’re a “pussy”* (to use Professor X’s impoverished vocabulary) for not following their absolutist, anonymous advice.

*In fairness to the Professor, he was referring to me with this statement. I hereby admit to disliking lethargy, and that I am an adequate human being for holding this belief. I don’t deserve to live!

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
I don’t deserve to live! [/quote]

At least we’re on the same page.

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

Yes, commonalities outweigh differences “by far,” ON AVERAGE. Maybe “skinnybarstard” is an outlier --i.e., a statistical anomaly. You don’t know otherwise.

Regardless, skinnybarstard, I stand by my original advice. Eat a big breakfast or don’t, depending on how doing so makes you feel. Don’t, however, let someone tell you you’re a “pussy”* (to use Professor X’s impoverished vocabulary) for not following their absolutist, anonymous advice.

*In fairness to the Professor, he was referring to me with this statement. I hereby admit to disliking lethargy, and that I am an adequate human being for holding this belief. I don’t deserve to live! [/quote]

I still fail to see why a big breakfast would be bad for anyone

First of all, if the supposed negative consecutions, whatever they may be, only occur with statistical anomalies, why mention it here without having any knowledge about the OP? More likely than not, following your advice would prevent him from reaping the maximal benefits from his nutrition program because some outlandish anomaly could occur. Besides, what exactly would this anomaly be? How would it manifest? Is this just about feeling lethargic?

That being said, even if a large breakfast made someone feel lethargic, this condition obviously would only persist temporarily. One well known commonality of the human body of virtually all individuals is its capacity to adjust to various stimuli. Why shouldn’t a person’s body be able to adjust to an increased food intake?

I’ve heard of cases where a higher protein and/or food intake in general temporarily lead to bloating, slight discomfort, a lethargic feeling if you wish, but never have I heard of this condition continuing for a significant period of time. It just boils down to the question if you are willing to risk feeling “indisposed” for a short period of time to make the best progress possible. Absolutist? Judge for yourself…

[quote]wrecking crew wrote:
For what its worth I totally agree with eating a lot in the morning but have had much better results splitting the meal up into two parts. The first part is liquid and fruit usually a protein shake with berrys and a couple of bannanas (the fructose in fruit is great first thing because the liver has depleted glycogen from the overnight fast). Then about an hour later I eat a proper meal composed of starchy carbs, lean protein and veg. Ive found the liquid meal gets assimilated much faster than a regular meal thus breaking the fast that much faster and is then backed up by “proper” meal shortly after. It also breaks you in gradually for those of you who arnt hungry first thing, might be worth a try lifestyle permitting. [/quote]

Concurrence: That’s exactly what I do on the weekends, or whenever I’ve given myself more time in the morning.

Would I still eat a big breakfast if I was trying to lose weight (fat)? I have been eating just about the same proteins, and fats etc. at all 3 of my meals and the same at all 3 of my snacks.

thanks in advance

Jay Ess wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

*In fairness to the Professor, he was referring to me with this statement. I hereby admit to disliking lethargy, and that I am an adequate human being for holding this belief. I don’t deserve to live!

I still fail to see why a big breakfast would be bad for anyone

First of all, if the supposed negative consecutions, whatever they may be, only occur with statistical anomalies, why mention it here without having any knowledge about the OP? More likely than not, following your advice would prevent him from reaping the maximal benefits from his nutrition program because some outlandish anomaly could occur. Besides, what exactly would this anomaly be? How would it manifest? Is this just about feeling lethargic?

That being said, even if a large breakfast made someone feel lethargic, this condition obviously would only persist temporarily. One well known commonality of the human body of virtually all individuals is its capacity to adjust to various stimuli. Why shouldn’t a person’s body be able to adjust to an increased food intake?

I’ve heard of cases where a higher protein and/or food intake in general temporarily lead to bloating, slight discomfort, a lethargic feeling if you wish, but never have I heard of this condition continuing for a significant period of time. It just boils down to the question if you are willing to risk feeling “indisposed” for a short period of time to make the best progress possible. Absolutist? Judge for yourself… [/quote]

Would I still eat a big breakfast if I was trying to loss bodyfat? I have been eating all of my meals at about the same (proteins, fats etc) and my snacks as well. Should I eat more in the morning and less at night?

Thanks in advance

michael2507,

I have not asserted that a big breakfast is bad. I have merely suggested that the surest means of finding out whether it’s right for skinnybarstard is trying it, and evaluating his personal experience. I could probably find a few studies stating that it is (Ori Hofmekler’s site points to a few, if you care. I don’t, nor am I endorsing the Warrior Diet) and you could find plenty of counter-evidence. How is playing this endlessly recpricating game superior to skinnybarstard* experimenting on himself?

(*[sic] but that’s how he spells it. I obviously like asterisks.)

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
michael2507,

I have not asserted that a big breakfast is bad.
[/quote]

Then why are you still typing? If it isn’t bad, then what are you arguing about?

[quote]fuel123 wrote:

Would I still eat a big breakfast if I was trying to loss bodyfat? I have been eating all of my meals at about the same (proteins, fats etc) and my snacks as well. Should I eat more in the morning and less at night?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

I definitely recommend reading as much as possible from different reputable sources as opinions vary, but I believe making breakfast and the meal following your workout the largest is a good choice. I follow this approach whatever my goals are and make sure to include the majority of my daily carbs in these two feedings.

Apart from that, for me (and I guess for many others as well), it is very convenient to have a large breakfast as I am at home and have access to a large amount of fresh whole foods as opposed to the less than stellar situation when I’m at work.

That being said, in my opinion taking in less calories than you expend, consuming adequate protein, fibre and getting your EFAs should be your main focus when dieting. When that is dialled in, you can fine-tune your diet by working with the other variables like the ones mentioned above.

[quote]Jay Ess wrote:
michael2507,

I have not asserted that a big breakfast is bad. I have merely suggested that the surest means of finding out whether it’s right for skinnybarstard is trying it, and evaluating his personal experience. I could probably find a few studies stating that it is (Ori Hofmekler’s site points to a few, if you care. I don’t, nor am I endorsing the Warrior Diet) and you could find plenty of counter-evidence. How is playing this endlessly recpricating game superior to skinnybarstard* experimenting on himself?

(*[sic] but that’s how he spells it. I obviously like asterisks.)[/quote]

I guess the point where we disagree is that I believe that he should not go by his subjective perception. How would he be able to evaluate ad hoc if consuming a large breakfast is good for him? Again, should he stop simply because he feels lethargic after one or two large meals? In the beginning, consuming lots of food was awkward for me too and if I had gone by “feeling”, I probably wouldn’t have managed to consume enough calories to make any noticeable progress.

I definitely recommend reading as much as possible from different reputable sources as opinions vary, but I believe making breakfast and the meal following your workout the largest is a good choice. I follow this approach whatever my goals are and make sure to include the majority of my daily carbs in these two feedings.

Apart from that, for me (and I guess for many others as well), it is very convenient to have a large breakfast as I am at home and have access to a large amount of fresh whole foods as opposed to the less than stellar situation when I’m at work.

That being said, in my opinion taking in less calories than you expend, consuming adequate protein, fibre and getting your EFAs should be your main focus when dieting. When that is dialled in, you can fine-tune your diet by working with the other variables like the ones mentioned above.[/quote]

Good advice

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jay Ess wrote:
michael2507,

I have not asserted that a big breakfast is bad.

Then why are you still typing? If it isn’t bad, then what are you arguing about?[/quote]

Whew, you are tough, honest but fair…you remind me of how I try to preserve extreme metal drumming in other forums. There are a lot of drummers who whine about being fatigued and resort to doing what is called a “two foot blast” instead of one which in my opinion is sort of cheating the beat. An analogy would be if someone drove to a mailbox around the corner rather than walking one freakin’ block! If you can’t blast, don’t play this style of music or at least try to practice more ya know?

[quote]grey wrote:
Holy shit. I guess then I’m in big trouble…Did you notice however that I make sure to include a heap full of green veggies.[/quote]

alright for real…no offense, but what is the meat in this picture? its the color of chicken, but appears to have the grain of steak…so im thinking perhaps it is pork? but in all honesty im still not sure.

I love these entertaining threads.

I didn’t see mention of the original poster to read Dr. Berardi’s “Seven Habits” article, or any of his stuff. My apoligies if it was mentioned.