T Nation

Big Boss Doing Work

OH…and I broke my foot over a month/half ago…still weak/tender. This is the reason for me having the two breaks…it wasn’t because I was tired…lol…ALTHOUGH,I was tired as fuck.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Fuck it…here’s link to vid of my match. For those that I PM’d,this is the better vid,and complete match…with sound:
http://www.motionbox.com/videos/7a9dd8b1181de7c0f5

Keep in mind that this was a talent search for United States Muay Thai Federation…a chance to see who has true muay thai SKILL…it wasn’t a sanctioned fight…no hands being raised at the end. They are recruiting for fighters to join Team USA…WBC prospects…etc. Still important shit…at least for me!

Anyways,I know a few idiots will say dumb shit…and flex their keyboard combat sport “expertise.” But really,unless you’re training hard yourself,a professional fighter/trainer,etc…it’s really hard to say something absurdly negative about someone who is paying their dues and getting IN the ring…not watching!

I know there are things I have room for improving on…and trust me,I am doing so. But if you have silly snide comments…you will set yourself up for some serious backing up to do for yourself. In other words,are you paying your dues,too?? Just wanted get that out of the way…thank you! :-)[/quote]

Good stuff buddy. I liked the right straight-right leg kick combo. What’s your weight at, and did you get your size before starting muay thai?

Nice vid Big Boss, good rhythm and movement around the ring - rarely see that with a guy your size.

And yeah, those who’ve never seriously sparred (let alone stepped in a ring competitively) have NO IDEA how difficult it is.

Every time I begin to think I’m “getting good”, 5 minutes of hard sparring later and I feel like I’ve learned nothing :slight_smile:

Rob

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
Fuck it…here’s link to vid of my match. For those that I PM’d,this is the better vid,and complete match…with sound:

Keep in mind that this was a talent search for United States Muay Thai Federation…a chance to see who has true muay thai SKILL…it wasn’t a sanctioned fight…no hands being raised at the end. They are recruiting for fighters to join Team USA…WBC prospects…etc. Still important shit…at least for me!

Anyways,I know a few idiots will say dumb shit…and flex their keyboard combat sport “expertise.” But really,unless you’re training hard yourself,a professional fighter/trainer,etc…it’s really hard to say something absurdly negative about someone who is paying their dues and getting IN the ring…not watching!

I know there are things I have room for improving on…and trust me,I am doing so. But if you have silly snide comments…you will set yourself up for some serious backing up to do for yourself. In other words,are you paying your dues,too?? Just wanted get that out of the way…thank you! :slight_smile:

Good stuff buddy. I liked the right straight-right leg kick combo. What’s your weight at, and did you get your size before starting muay thai?[/quote]

I was 340lbs when I started…I fluctuate between 290-320…currently 320lbs. Will be dropping to 275 by December if all goes as planned.

i saw some very good responses in your fight that you only get from hard practice. Everyone can make fun of me but for the past 3 years ive taken tae kwon do and if theres one thing you learn in that art is perfection of technique and speed.

I’d hate to get a head kick from a guy like you that would totally obliterate me since im only about 160. The hardest thing for me when sparring was once i got fatigued my counters would start to suck. I always got the best hits in when they were counters. Either a back kick when someone would roundhouse or a skip back switch roundhouse to basically any kick.

Hey bro, watched your fight.

You got good ring generalship- you’re a tall fucker, and you didn’t let the short guy corner you or keep you against the ropes. You also seemed to win or come out even on your exchanges with him.

The only thing I could say that I didn’t like is that I don’t think you stayed busy enough. You’re a tall fucker, like I said, with longer arms- work that jab!! I don’t come from a MT background, of course, but I do know that the jab will open up all kinds of shit, especially if you can can kick. This is just an assumption, but it’s entirely possible that you can get him so preoccupied with dodging your jab that he won’t see all the other good shit coming- i.e. that kick to the head or body, etc. But you really looked great man. Fast for a big man.

One thing I noticed, and it may be MT in general- you guys don’t really use a lot of hooks? Seems like a very straight-on art, which can be good, of course… but if you worked some circular inside motions in there, maybe you could surprise guys who haven’t seen that?

I’m just throwing shit out there, of course, I might be way off base.

First off congrads on your first ring fight Big Boss.

Your Thai kick and foot jab are forceful I will give you that.
Being critiqued sucks so I am not going to be an ass about it.

• Your form is weaker than what ring quality should be.
  • Too many punches and kicks that were not dedicated for contact
  • No combonation given from your side
  • You can always use more endurance
    But again these things come with experience. Just from watching the video I am guessing you have been training Thai Boxing a year or less. I aint saying dont compete until your better versed in Muay Thai, I am just saying do your homework outside the ring as well.

Just so you dont think I am some jerk saying these things. I started training in Muay Thai when I was 12, started competing at 14, recieved my back belt when I was 17, had my first ring fight when I was 18.

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
First off congrads on your first ring fight Big Boss.

Your Thai kick and foot jab are forceful I will give you that.
Being critiqued sucks so I am not going to be an ass about it.

• Your form is weaker than what ring quality should be.
  • Too many punches and kicks that were not dedicated for contact
  • No combonation given from your side
  • You can always use more endurance
    But again these things come with experience. Just from watching the video I am guessing you have been training Thai Boxing a year or less. I aint saying dont compete until your better versed in Muay Thai, I am just saying do your homework outside the ring as well.

Just so you dont think I am some jerk saying these things. I started training in Muay Thai when I was 12, started competing at 14, recieved my back belt when I was 17, had my first ring fight when I was 18.[/quote]

Yeah…don’t worry about sounding like an ass…this is what I want! Although I hate that I look as if I’ve only trained for a year or less…i’ve been training for almost 3! No biggy…

Anyways…everything you’re saying is correct.
I threw too many “ones”…and not enough combos…
too many strikes that I didn’t fully commit to…
and at my size…trust me,I need more conditioning/endurance.

I think some of this stems from the rules of that particular event…it was more of a hard sparring session than an actual fight…it was a talent search,no trying to kill your opponent,no winner,etc. But I still need to be more committed to the above shortcomings.

OH…and you received a black belt in Muay Thai?..!?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Hey bro, watched your fight.

You got good ring generalship- you’re a tall fucker, and you didn’t let the short guy corner you or keep you against the ropes. You also seemed to win or come out even on your exchanges with him.

The only thing I could say that I didn’t like is that I don’t think you stayed busy enough. You’re a tall fucker, like I said, with longer arms- work that jab!! I don’t come from a MT background, of course, but I do know that the jab will open up all kinds of shit, especially if you can can kick. This is just an assumption, but it’s entirely possible that you can get him so preoccupied with dodging your jab that he won’t see all the other good shit coming- i.e. that kick to the head or body, etc. But you really looked great man. Fast for a big man.

One thing I noticed, and it may be MT in general- you guys don’t really use a lot of hooks? Seems like a very straight-on art, which can be good, of course… but if you worked some circular inside motions in there, maybe you could surprise guys who haven’t seen that?

I’m just throwing shit out there, of course, I might be way off base.[/quote]

You’re not off base at all…although I did use a few hooks. You probably couldn’t tell from the angle of the vid…or the quality. I keep my hooks tight and quick…so quick you didn’t see them…haha. Seriously,I tend to only use my hooks when countering…don’t know if that’s good or bad…??

As for my jab…I get what you’re saying: JAB EVEN MORE!..right? He was worried about my jab…along with teep(foot jab)…but I didn’t capitalize on it…not enough combos off the jab. I usually throw hooks and uppercuts to the body often in sparring…failed to capitalize on that in the ring also. Traditional Muay Thai is not known for being on the level of boxing when it comes to the hands…watch K-1 and then watch a muay thai bout. There’s a huge difference…BUT I like to use my hands. Since I committed to that…I need to commit completely and improve…need to learn to let those hands go!

The most prominent advice I’m getting from everyone is to stay busy…and I agree completely. Xen completely broke down EVERYTHING I did wrong…and what I did right(but just not enough!)…and staying busy is what stood out the most. I got in the mode of just counter-striking…I have success doing that…but I can’t rely on that to be my whole game.

Not to sound like an excuse maker or anything…but I broke my right foot not too long ago…it started bothering my footwork/mobility in the middle of 2nd round. Don’t know if you noticed,but I kept shaking my right foot…and had to stop a couple of times. Although,I think it affected me more mentally than physically. Oh well…it happens…experience will fix that in the future.

You guys are giving me what I need to get better…and I appreciate it to the fullest. Keep it coming!

OH…and Irish,did you watch the other vid I linked on the first page??? If not:

Its a tad bit better quality(and complete) than the one I PM’d you.

Yea I see what you are saying. Yea endurance was always my worst part. We train for like 2 hours on nights, then come the fight after the first round you are more tired than after a whole nights training(alot to do with heart beating so fast).
Yea I got my blackbelt from a school called Linxx Academy in virginia beach http://www.linxxacademy.com/index.html . It was alot more hardcore years ago than it is now. All the teachers would teach classes during the week, train at night, and have fights on the weekends in new york and surrounding areas.

But anyways keep it up, alot of people train and never have the guts to step inside the ring, and in the ring you gain experience you could never learn in any class.

I highly doubt anyone looks at you and dies of laughter.

The more likely reaction would be “nod nervously and back away slowly searching for an exit”.

I don’t know dick about fighting (looking forward to learning soon) but you sure look like a big motherfucker that can kick me in the head from six feet away to ME. Keep kicking ass, bro. Fuck the keyboard guerreiros.

I already PM’d you but just wanted to state publicly as well.

Keep it going brother!!!

and keep your hands up

Big Boss, just watched the video-
Damn

that is a LONG jab and an even longer Kick

your pretty agile- for such a large dude,
your head movement looked good !
and I saw some decent footwork-

nice work.

kmc

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

good critique.

Here’s a kickboxer/mt guy that you’d like…

we have a similar body type so I try to emulate his style a bit at times.

from a buddy of mine…

[i]
Smoker?

Excellent posture, nice transitions between striking and clinching, and did some fundamentals well…returned his hands in a speedy fashion, returned them high and seems to have a decent leg kick. I also was HAPPY to see he sets the kick to the leg up with his hands and that’s SOLID.

He should remember that part of his speed comes from returning those punches and kicks back as fast or faster then they go out. He did a lot of potshotting and needs to punch in bunches. As he you mentioned he’s aware he needs to lose weight…that should help him pick up some hand and foot speed and increase his mobility as well as help him be a busier fighter and throw more combos. The weight loss is PARAMOUNT for his entire game as I think 3/4s of the criticism can be fixed with his weight loss. He will be busier, able to throw more combos, & be harder to hit.

Outside of the things that can be fixed with his weight loss is NOT to drop his hands when using the teep…he threw his hands almost behind him a few times. The biggest immediate fix that will have a massive affect on his game is to fix his rhythm. He has the “I go-then you go” rhythm most of the time. Start being first, counter more, and start learning to hit on the preparation.

Is this Muay Thai? If not, he shouldn’t stand so tall. A slight bend in the knees is needed.

Lastly, he MUST have more head movement. It’s OK to use covers as a primary form of defense, but it can’t be used exclusively. The weight isn’t the issue, because James Toney has no problem with head movement. Tell him to watch a ton of James Toney fights.

How long has he been training? He does some things VERY well and he has a lot of potential. Can’t really tell from the video, but how is his power? If he has some power, he can go places.[/i]

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
from a buddy of mine…

[i]
Smoker?

Excellent posture, nice transitions between striking and clinching, and did some fundamentals well…returned his hands in a speedy fashion, returned them high and seems to have a decent leg kick. I also was HAPPY to see he sets the kick to the leg up with his hands and that’s SOLID.

He should remember that part of his speed comes from returning those punches and kicks back as fast or faster then they go out. He did a lot of potshotting and needs to punch in bunches. As he you mentioned he’s aware he needs to lose weight…that should help him pick up some hand and foot speed and increase his mobility as well as help him be a busier fighter and throw more combos. The weight loss is PARAMOUNT for his entire game as I think 3/4s of the criticism can be fixed with his weight loss. He will be busier, able to throw more combos, & be harder to hit.

Outside of the things that can be fixed with his weight loss is NOT to drop his hands when using the teep…he threw his hands almost behind him a few times. The biggest immediate fix that will have a massive affect on his game is to fix his rhythm. He has the “I go-then you go” rhythm most of the time. Start being first, counter more, and start learning to hit on the preparation.

Is this Muay Thai? If not, he shouldn’t stand so tall. A slight bend in the knees is needed.

Lastly, he MUST have more head movement. It’s OK to use covers as a primary form of defense, but it can’t be used exclusively. The weight isn’t the issue, because James Toney has no problem with head movement. Tell him to watch a ton of James Toney fights.

How long has he been training? He does some things VERY well and he has a lot of potential. Can’t really tell from the video, but how is his power? If he has some power, he can go places.[/i][/quote]

Shit…tell that buddy of yours I appreciate the honest critique…I will definitely be referencing this for a while…and yes,it was a Muay Thai fight…and I did notice the instances of me almost standing lock-kneed…not a good thing.

When he mentions hit on the preparation…is this pretty much the same as “set point”…being the first to fire off…etc??

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Big Boss, just watched the video-
Damn

that is a LONG jab and an even longer Kick

your pretty agile- for such a large dude,
your head movement looked good !
and I saw some decent footwork-

nice work.

kmc[/quote]

Thanks kmc…I’m working hard,man…only getting better.

not much I can say after that major critique Xen sent…I’m actually thinkin of posting a video of myself next time I get in the ring…haven’t been in the ring for sparring for over a month so it’ll be interesting. I think perhaps we should start a MT thread in here where we can all post vids/crique our MT skills and boxing. I feel always that when I improve my boxing and work soley on boxing my whole game is better. Better feints and set ups for kicks. just EVERYthing better…reading the guy better…to me hands are so important.

B_B,

Yea he has one of the best eyes out of everyone I know. really good coach, not sure if his gym is still open or not. Hit on the preparation means fire right before they go… When they telegraph. Pre-empt their attack. Since you like counter fighting, work on drawing them out.

Good idea Ras,
my chick has a video of me sparring on her camera but she never has that shit when i ask for it i’ll try to scramble something up. I don’t like bringing her to the gym though LOL. Girl enters the gym and everyone increases the intensity of sparring to 11.

Xen do you think when someone is about to attack and you attack is that what you mean when you say Pre-empt their attack?
Take for example this fight…at the time 3:10-3:16. Corbett drops him with that leg kick but did he see that comin and did it…OR that little step clifton gave first did it telegraph to corbett that he’s gonna leg kick again so he did a short kick droppin him?
I see guys pullin this off all the time…a short little leg kick when the OTHER guy is about to kick/midst of kickin and it drops them.
I REALLY want to do it in sparring, but haven’t accomplished it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4kvs-Iq_kU
that’s the link 3:10-3:16, you’ll see clifton fall.

By the way if you want to see a big elbow KO, keep watching lol.