Big Beyond Beleif

Going to try Big Beyond Belief and am wondering if i go to failure on the ramps or phases, both or neither?

The idea is to go to failure on every set regardless of ramp or phase, in actuality I try to fall about 1 rep shy of failure, mainly because I don’t have a spotter!

It’s a good program, it’s taken a bit of a toll on my tendons, but the results were pretty good for me.

[quote]ChrisWaddle wrote:
The idea is to go to failure on every set regardless of ramp or phase, in actuality I try to fall about 1 rep shy of failure, mainly because I don’t have a spotter!
[/quote]

This. The consensus in the old threads were going 1 rep short of failure was just as good, if not better, than going to complete failure.

There’s a huge thread on here regarding the program:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/optimum_training_systems_big_beyond_belief_program_?id=3089755&pageNo=40

Check it out. I’m sure you’ll be able to find some good info there.

Failure on the positive. Pay attention to what they say in the book about quality of reps also: i.e. when form starts to break down or get shitty, stop the set. Form may get looser for the last 2-3 reps of the set but never become ‘loose’.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Failure on the positive. Pay attention to what they say in the book about quality of reps also: i.e. when form starts to break down or get shitty, stop the set. Form may get looser for the last 2-3 reps of the set but never become ‘loose’.

[/quote]

golden rule,imo, especially on power-excercises (bench,squat,dead,MP and heavy rowz)…

I am currently ‘loosely’ on the 4 day split. I say loosely as half the time I can only manage 3 days a week and it would be incorrect to say I am doing something that I am not doing 100%. I counter the reduced days with using rest-pause on the final set.

In regards your question on failure - I think you also need to differentiate between the 4day and 6day split. I think failure is fine with the 4day, but could not comment on the 6day. Volume training to failure 6 days a week and having a life is possible, but not for everyone.

Me - Within a month I have improvements in strength* and ‘from the mirror’ I have replaced some fat with muscle. You really have to eat like it’s your job with this one.
*I would always expect to increase strength on each new routine as you settle into it, but I would say my gains have been better and I am in my late thirties (aka not a newbie).

I wanted to keep things simple and so I only do:
Squat for quads - Lower back is tight though and so I would probably mix it up just a little.
Bench press for Chest - Right shoulder could feel better in the joint. So I would have a 2nd exercise next time.
Dumbbell shoulder press - This was the right choice
I have more than one exercise for the remainder.

My normal style of training is a 3 day split, but I needed something new to shake things up. I generally train within set rep ranges and the concept of varying the rep ranges within the same week seemed fun. I also liked the way the volume and rest periods changed. Just seemed like a nice body shock and I am looking forward to the 5 setsx15 on squats. I was a bit unsure about what could be considered a full-body routine, but I am currently pleasantly surprised and going back to a split will be another nice shock.

[quote]naxis wrote:
I am currently ‘loosely’ on the 4 day split. I say loosely as half the time I can only manage 3 days a week and it would be incorrect to say I am doing something that I am not doing 100%. I counter the reduced days with using rest-pause on the final set.

[/quote]

So your not doing the program at all then. As the program say’s if you cant commit to the days set, choose a less time consuming program.

[quote]naxis wrote:
I am looking forward to the 5 setsx15 on squats.
[/quote]

I am genuinely afraid when deadlifts come around in this program.

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:

[quote]naxis wrote:

[/quote]

So your not doing the program at all then. As the program say’s if you cant commit to the days set, choose a less time consuming program.[/quote]

I did clarify ‘loosely’ and detail my variations so as not to mislead. I just wanted to give my experience from what I am doing in case it might help.

i trained to failure when doing the 6xday/week program.However it got a bit ridiculous.It had so much pressing my shoulders seemed to pop.I remember that at some weeks i was bench pressing 4+times per week 3 sets every day.I was like wtf!Also i think it had too little back work compared to chest work.Maybe will do it again in the past though(changing it a bit but its principles are solid)

I forgot to say this:if you really plan to do it do yourself a favor and buy some cod liver oil or something.I believe that over time the program may takee a toll on your body.